OAUSA SummerFest Interest Poll

Would you attend SummerFest if it was held on the following weekend?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:13 pm

August 15-17
25%
August 22-24
75%

Total votes: 16

Cnynrat

OAUSA SummerFest Interest Poll

Post by Cnynrat » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:13 pm

We're in the early stages of planning a SummerFest in Big Bear for later this summer. We'd like to get a feeling for the interest level so we can make camping arrangements. This poll will run for 5 days - please take a moment to respond and let us know whether you are interested and whether you have a preference on the date. This poll allows you to vote for either or both weekends, so if you're interested and your schedule works for either date please vote for both options.

OAUSA Big Bear SummerFest

- Friday and Saturday night camping
- Organized runs on Saturday, and maybe Sunday AM based on interest level
- Informal runs Friday afternoon for those that can make it up early
- Saturday night Potluck dinner

Unfortunately, given the short time we have to pull this off we won't be holding a raffle this time around.

We do plan to collect a nominal fee to cover the campsite and other costs of putting on the event. The Board is still discussing what the fee will be, but knowing this is different than for previous Adventure4x4 Fests I wanted to make sure everybody understands that up front.
Dave
N6DCF

BoBoNel

Re: OAUSA SummerFest Interest Poll

Post by BoBoNel » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:26 pm

really not sure of my work schedule for august yet but i'd make sure i have off, whichever weekend it turns out being! count me in. (i'm sure we'll still be here in san diego yet)
G-4!!!!
Trail Mom

big dave

Post by big dave » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 pm

I think its a little late in the year to be planning a "fest" in August. Its like July already. :D
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:22 am

big dave wrote:I think its a little late in the year to be planning a "fest" in August. Its like July already. :D

It's never too late for a 'Fest event....
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:19 am

Cnynrat-

Do you have a destination in mind for camping?
Image_Image_Image

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:13 am

gon2srf wrote:Cnynrat-

Do you have a destination in mind for camping?
Hey Scott -

As you know, there are somewhat limited group camping options in Big Bear. I've done a little research and checked availability and have a couple locations in mind. One is Shady Cove group camp, which is near Running Springs. The location isn't great, but it's got three sites each of which can hold 8 vehicles. Apparently there are some "Yellow Post" sites in the vicinity of Shady Cove that we could use for overflow (I know, I'm hoping to avoid the situation from last year, but our options are limited). The other location is Big Pine Flats equestrian camp, which is on 3N16 and will hold 15 vehicles. I need to confirm we're allowed to use it without horses (some of the other equestrian sites specifically state that you can not use them if you don't have horses).

My plan for the moment is to get an idea of the interest level over the next few days and then make a decision based on that.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) has any suggested camping locations you think would work please let me know.
Dave
N6DCF

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Another thought just crossed my mind... How about camping at Silverwood Lake near Pilot Rock and Cleghorn? There are some nice trails around there and Big Bear isn't too far of a stretch for those wanting to hit a trail over there. Pilot Rock is actually one of the runs they run during Mountainfest each year which is based out of the Snow Summit parking lot.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:25 pm

Ollie (K6JYB) wrote:Another thought just crossed my mind... How about camping at Silverwood Lake near Pilot Rock and Cleghorn? There are some nice trails around there and Big Bear isn't too far of a stretch for those wanting to hit a trail over there. Pilot Rock is actually one of the runs they run during Mountainfest each year which is based out of the Snow Summit parking lot.
That was a good suggestion Ollie - I hadn't thought about that area. The sites there accommodate a lot of vehicles, but unfortunately looks like they are all booked on the weekends through August. We should keep these sites in mind for next time though.

Has anyone here ever camped at the Silverwood Lake campground?
Dave
N6DCF

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:16 pm

How about invading Cactus Flats near Big Bear? I've never stayed there but I've heard that it's a good group camp site as long as you like primitive camping. No reservations required.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:02 pm

NotAMog wrote:How about invading Cactus Flats near Big Bear? I've never stayed there but I've heard that it's a good group camp site as long as you like primitive camping. No reservations required.
Primitive sounds great. No fires allowed there but that will probably be the case everywhere with the high fire danger.
N 34.3245
W116.8166
Cactus Flats, upper right corner of image.
Image_Image_Image

Return to “2008 OAUSA SummerFest Event (Big Bear)”