OAUSA SummerFest Interest Poll

Would you attend SummerFest if it was held on the following weekend?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:13 pm

August 15-17
25%
August 22-24
75%

Total votes: 16

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: OAUSA SummerFest Interest Poll

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:51 pm

How far is the Cactus Flats campground from the Discovery Center / Fawnskin area ? THe map has no scale, but it seems to be quite a distance away - is it still within reasonable distance of the more popular trails ??? Or, what trails would be recommended that are near Cactus Flats (always up for some new adventures...)?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:50 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:How far is the Cactus Flats campground from the Discovery Center / Fawnskin area ? THe map has no scale, but it seems to be quite a distance away - is it still within reasonable distance of the more popular trails ??? Or, what trails would be recommended that are near Cactus Flats (always up for some new adventures...)?
I don't know exactly where Cactus Flats is, but from the map looks like you could pick up the east end of the Holcomb Valley road pretty close by. That would put it reasonably close to Jacoby, not too far from Gold Mtn, and off course it's close to all the trails that are on the east side of Baldwin Lake. I've not explored that area extensively, but I think there are a number of old mines back there.

Here's a link to a SBNF map that shows some detail: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/d ... sflats.pdf

We need to confirm camping is allowed there (I plan to call SBNF tomorrow). Fires are currently allowed in established fire rings in developed campsites. No fires of any kind are allowed elsewhere (including charcoal). In fact, you need a permit to use a gas stove outside a "developed area." The biggest drawback of a primitive camping situation IMO is no grilling for the Potluck, but I suppose we could deal with that if necessary.

Based on the current interest level we would fit in Big Pine Flats group camp, which would put us closer to the popular trails and we'd be allowed to have fires there. I plan to let to poll run a few more days before we need to make the call, so everyone please respond to the poll if you are interested.
Dave
N6DCF

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:37 pm

Cactus Flats is about 10 miles from the Discovery Center. One disadvantage of Cactus Flats other than the primitive camping is that it's at a lower altitude than many of the other Big Bear locations so the temperature will be slightly warmer. :oops:

There is some wheeling directly from that area 3N03 (Smarts Ranch Road) connects to the trails East of Big Bear going toward Yucca Valley and 3N61 (Jacoby Canyon) takes you into Holcomb Valley. I haven't driven any of these roads myself. :roll:
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:52 am

Cnynrat wrote:
cruiserlarry wrote:How far is the Cactus Flats campground from the Discovery Center / Fawnskin area ? THe map has no scale, but it seems to be quite a distance away - is it still within reasonable distance of the more popular trails ??? Or, what trails would be recommended that are near Cactus Flats (always up for some new adventures...)?
I don't know exactly where Cactus Flats is, but from the map looks like you could pick up the east end of the Holcomb Valley road pretty close by. That would put it reasonably close to Jacoby, not too far from Gold Mtn, and off course it's close to all the trails that are on the east side of Baldwin Lake. I've not explored that area extensively, but I think there are a number of old mines back there.

Here's a link to a SBNF map that shows some detail: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/d ... sflats.pdf

We need to confirm camping is allowed there (I plan to call SBNF tomorrow). Fires are currently allowed in established fire rings in developed campsites. No fires of any kind are allowed elsewhere (including charcoal). In fact, you need a permit to use a gas stove outside a "developed area." The biggest drawback of a primitive camping situation IMO is no grilling for the Potluck, but I suppose we could deal with that if necessary.

Based on the current interest level we would fit in Big Pine Flats group camp, which would put us closer to the popular trails and we'd be allowed to have fires there. I plan to let to poll run a few more days before we need to make the call, so everyone please respond to the poll if you are interested.
I'm in for Big Pine Flats Dave. Higher altitude, closer to most of the trails we'll want/be able to run and closer to Fawnskin for supplies/South Shore Cafe... :mrgreen: if necc. Having said that the terrain going toward Cactus Flats is quite amazing, a mixture of mountain and high desert combined.

Big Pine and Cactus flats are both about 10-11 miles from the Discovery Center. Sorry about the map Larry but you can plot your own courses on Google Earth for fun.
Image_Image_Image

Navy_FJ

Post by Navy_FJ » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:23 pm

I am thinking we need a revote! There are some hanging chads on the later date right :o ????? This is my rally cry to all those that can only make the first weekend :mrgreen: I really want to make this event but I have an overseas trip on the later date. Thanks to everyone for getting this going and I hope to make the fall event.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks, Dave and Scott, for the information. I'm looking forward to Big Bear, and to exploring some new trails if possible, too. I'll go play on Google Earth and see whats up... :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:18 pm

OK, the votes are in and we'll be holding our 2008 OAUSA SummerFest in Big Bear on August 22-24.

Stay tuned for more details in the coming days.
Dave
N6DCF

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 pm

I'll mark it on my calendar. I've only been up to Big Bear once, so I'm really looking forward to this! :P

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:35 pm

JerryH wrote:Big Pine Flats and Hanna Flats are in the closed area.
Hanna Flats is closed, but Big Pine Flats Campground is open. I was there this past Saturday, and although you drive through a few miles of burned forest on the way there, the area around the Big Pine Flats campground was not burned last year.
Dave
N6DCF

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:21 pm

JJ,
I was under the impression they closed White Mtn a year or so ago but I don't know why. Do you think it will ever open up again? I am concern it might be forever.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

Return to “2008 OAUSA SummerFest Event (Big Bear)”