SummerFest Run Planning

socal_rubi

Re: SummerFest Run Planning

Post by socal_rubi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:00 pm

ssc wrote:How familiar are you with HB and ratlesnake from BB to Pionneer and then up to the 247? I usually go in from Yucca to HB area and then Rattle to 247.

Regards, SSC
I've got tracks in my GPS for that whole area. I've got ones that will take you from the 38 or 18 to HB to RS and out to the 247. I've never done the Pioneer town part. If your going to go from the camp at BP down to HB and RS I would suggest taking 3n16 to 3n61 Jacoby cny down to the 18, then you take the 18 south for all of about 1/4 mile to 3n03 which runs you to 2n02 and HB. That way your only on pavement for about 1/4 mile. The other way is to go down the 38 then take 2n04, 2n01, and 2n02 to HB.

I've got tracks in my GPS for all of the major trails in BB as well if anyone needs Coords/waypoints or tracks.
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:12 pm

ssc wrote:Hi Eric,
I am going to try to clear my morning calander for that Fri. I will know tomarrow. I do not know if dishpan is closed. Holcomb creek is closed. I will do whatever trails you all want. I gave some suggestions above. We have to remember that TTORA and a group from FJ cruisers are all claiming that they will be there. Hence, I would think that the common run trails: GM, BUll, Dish(if Open)and white mountain will get crowded on Sat. If a group of us gets there early on fri we should be able to run all the common trails, including Burnt flat( not many people go there) and Jacoby( considered to easy by many TTORA members) without crowds.

Rattlesnake and HB have alot of options and trails involved. The few times I have run these trails I have not seen too many people. I think KJ Steve was up there a few weeks ago. I wonder if he saw much traffic? Hence, this may be a good area to explore for Sat as it could take the whole day. We could go in one of three ways from BB. I had to go to my trail books to look up info on going in this way. We could do trails from BB to HB and the pontiac Sluice and then hit the trail area for Rattlesnake. It is easy to get off the beaten path there. We could go to Pioneer town for lunch. If you have never been there, it is worth a look. Then come back through Rattlesnake to 247 and take the roads back to BB. These are just thoughts and options. I am familiar with most of the area and would be happy to help with any concerns. I look forward to other peoples input. As far as starting on Cleghorn and taking trails across, I will pass.

Regards, SSC
Just like disneyland. Trying to decide which ride to do first and how to avoid the crowds.

I dont mind doing the trails on the east side (HB, RC) on saturday, but what about friday? I want to try to do GM sometime. Maybe friday we could do GM, intro to JB, then ? Or Dishpan? Where is the gatekeeper for JB, east or west side? If this is representative of worst case, I'd like to take a look at it. What about NotAMog and SteveB?

So, if were doing the east side trails on saturday, which way are heading up there on friday?

Can someone verify if dishpan is open? I'd like to consider it.

Where is white mountain, and how is it?

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:15 pm

cmjrfan8 wrote:If your going to go from the camp at BP down to HB and RS I would suggest taking 3n16 to 3n61 Jacoby cny down to the 18, then you take the 18 south for all of about 1/4 mile to 3n03 which runs you to 2n02 and HB.
In that case, maybe we can get an early start, go 3N14 through fawnskin, run GM, JC, then down to HR and RC? I'm not sure of distances here, so tell me if that's way to much to expect in one day.

ssc

Post by ssc » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi Eric,
What I am suggesting is to run the common trails on fri. These are the trails that could get real crowded on Sat.
Fri: Head up on 330. Go up the front side.
Go to trail head 3n69 GM to 3n16,tn left to 3n02 to burnt flat. which is a dead end. coming out turn rt on 3n10, bull going west, go to 3n32 or stay on 3n10 to run the three black diamond part of bull. Either way end up on 3n16 and go east to jacoby canyon. Then depends on what time it is. If we start around 11 at GM it could be 3:30 if no bad part of bull or 4:30 if we do all of bull.

If you don't want to do Bull, I don't think u would want to do Dishpan. White mountain is further west. It is west of the campground. 3n17.
Regards, SSC
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

socal_rubi

Post by socal_rubi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:59 pm

sdnative wrote:Can someone verify if dishpan is open? I'd like to consider it.
Dishpan is open.

3n16 is now open from one end to the other as well.
2012 Jeep JKUR

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

socal_rubi

Post by socal_rubi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:45 pm

sdnative wrote:
cmjrfan8 wrote:If your going to go from the camp at BP down to HB and RS I would suggest taking 3n16 to 3n61 Jacoby cny down to the 18, then you take the 18 south for all of about 1/4 mile to 3n03 which runs you to 2n02 and HB.
In that case, maybe we can get an early start, go 3N14 through fawnskin, run GM, JC, then down to HR and RC? I'm not sure of distances here, so tell me if that's way to much to expect in one day.
That's not too much to expect for one day. We did the exact same route only we did it starting at the 247 and ended on the 18. We ran RC, HR, JC, GM in that order. Here is a shot of the route...

It's 40.9 miles of trail with a short 1/4mile on pavement. We did it in just under 9 hours, but we had 13 rigs, with some breakage. My log for that day shaows that we were stopped for 4.5 hours and moving for 4.5 hours. So it's very doable.
2012 Jeep JKUR

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:13 pm

ssc wrote:Hi Eric,
What I am suggesting is to run the common trails on fri. These are the trails that could get real crowded on Sat.
Fri: Head up on 330. Go up the front side.
Go to trail head 3n69 GM to 3n16,tn left to 3n02 to burnt flat. which is a dead end. coming out turn rt on 3n10, bull going west, go to 3n32 or stay on 3n10 to run the three black diamond part of bull. Either way end up on 3n16 and go east to jacoby canyon. Then depends on what time it is. If we start around 11 at GM it could be 3:30 if no bad part of bull or 4:30 if we do all of bull.

If you don't want to do Bull, I don't think u would want to do Dishpan. White mountain is further west. It is west of the campground. 3n17.
Regards, SSC
Sounds good to me.

So for Friday it's GM, JC, Burnt Flats, Intro to JB, maybe JB.

Saturday it's explore the area around HR, RC.

I am still considering Dishpan. From what I've seen in videos, the thing that worries me is the notch at the top of the waterfall. Willow creek is fun too. Easy but has one fun hill climb that can be bypassed.

JESUSGAR

Post by JESUSGAR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:55 pm

sdnative wrote:So, did you want to go in via the 62/Yucca or the 330/18?

I think I'll pass on JB for now unless I get a wild hair the day of. I'd like to do the Gold Mnt/JB Intro/Burnt Flats run you mentioned sometime over the weekend. I also want to see heartbreak and rattlesnake.

Maybe we can come up through Yucca and explore the south side heartbreak, etc.) on the way in on Friday?
So Dishpan is closed?

How was JB? Did the stock FJ get hammered?

Im in for that, i see sometimes a road from Pinertown at Yucca to BB, and if you go from palm spring area ( like me ) . I think we will save time and maybe ga$

EDIT :( to late??
Is Someone So Smart To Learn From The Mistakes Of Others?

MANUEL
FJC
JK R 4D

JESUSGAR

Post by JESUSGAR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:19 pm

That's not too much to expect for one day. We did the exact same route only we did it starting at the 247 and ended on the 18. We ran RC, HR, JC, GM in that order. Here is a shot of the route...

It's 40.9 miles of trail with a short 1/4mile on pavement. We did it in just under 9 hours, but we had 13 rigs, with some breakage. My log for that day shaows that we were stopped for 4.5 hours and moving for 4.5 hours. So it's very doable.[/quote]

I LIKE THIS :lol: :D 8-)
Is Someone So Smart To Learn From The Mistakes Of Others?

MANUEL
FJC
JK R 4D

ssc

Post by ssc » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:22 pm

I have cleared my morning calander. I can leave for BB in the morning on Fri. So who all is in for runs on Fri?

Regards SSC
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

Return to “2008 OAUSA SummerFest Event (Big Bear)”