Summerfest Scenic Run Saturday Aug 23

socal_rubi

Summerfest Scenic Run Saturday Aug 23

Post by socal_rubi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:29 pm

Date: Saturday 08/23/08
Trails/Area: 2N10 Skyline Drive / Big Bear
Vehicle Limit: none
Rating: 1-2 / Easy
Meeting Place/Time: Big Pine Camp Ground / 8:30am, Directions To Camp http://www.oausa.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Departure Time: 9:00am

Signed up:
BoBoNel
BorregoWrangler
BlueFJ

Maybe's:
NotAMog
cruiserlarry
Jaytil

This is a great run for anyone who just wants to take it easy and enjoy some great views of Big Bear Lake and the surrounding area. This trail runs up behind the ski resorts on the south side of the lake. There will be plenty of opportunities for pictures. The trail is 13.3 miles long and will take about 2 hours. It will take about 30 minutes to drive from Camp to the trail head. Here is a screen shot of the planned route, the trail is highlighted in yellow...

The exit from the trail puts us right near downtown Big Bear. We should be done about noon or shortly before that, in which case we could stop somewhere in town for lunch and decide what trail to go run in the afternoon.

If anyone wants to meet us at the trailhead that's fine as well, just be sure and be there by 9:15am just to be on the safe side. Better yet post up and let me know you will be meeting the group at the trailhead.
Coordinates for the trailhead, N34 13.674 W116 51.967
Google Map Of Trailhead http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 53809&z=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by socal_rubi on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Re: Summerfest Scenic Run Saturday Aug 23

Post by NotAMog » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:59 pm

I may be interested in doing this run. I don't want to break anything next weekend since I have an invite to go up to the Mammoth area over Labor Day weekend to do some trails I've been wanting to run up there. Are any of the proposed runs down the East side toward Yucca Valley on for the fest? I've wanted to try some of those.

There may be another Pinz on the trip and I'm sure he'll want to run JB.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

BoBoNel

Post by BoBoNel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:21 pm

thanks for organizing this run! sounds FUN.
G-4!!!!
Trail Mom

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:18 pm

I will be coming up Saturday morn with a friend in a brand new FJ Trail Teams edition - and he is still gun-shy about getting it scratched up. So, this might be the perfect run to help get his feet wet...Is there a phone # or Ham freq you'll be monitoring so we can contact you as we head up ? I don't want o hold anybody up, but I'd like to try and meet up with you...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:44 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:I will be coming up Saturday morn with a friend in a brand new FJ Trail Teams edition - and he is still gun-shy about getting it scratched up.
Did Sunnygrill finally break down and buy an FJ???? :D :D :D :D :mrgreen:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

socal_rubi

Post by socal_rubi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:25 am

cruiserlarry wrote:I will be coming up Saturday morn with a friend in a brand new FJ Trail Teams edition - and he is still gun-shy about getting it scratched up. So, this might be the perfect run to help get his feet wet...Is there a phone # or Ham freq you'll be monitoring so we can contact you as we head up ? I don't want o hold anybody up, but I'd like to try and meet up with you...
I don't have ham radio yet. But my number is 714-679-6478.
CB channel will be 4 with alternate being 16.
2012 Jeep JKUR
Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rocks
Wheelin Web Site http://www.IronCrossOffroad.com"

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Ollie (K6JYB) wrote:
cruiserlarry wrote:I will be coming up Saturday morn with a friend in a brand new FJ Trail Teams edition - and he is still gun-shy about getting it scratched up.
Did Sunnygrill finally break down and buy an FJ???? :D :D :D :D :mrgreen:
No, he definitely wouldn't care about any scratches. Nikos is actually in Greece right now - he's getting married on Sunday !!! (I was supposed to be there, too, but it's the same weekend as my son's move-in to Carnegie-Mellon, so.... :cry: )

I convinced another friend of mine, Jay Tillet, to ditch his Tahoe and get an FJ Cruiser...he loves it, and wants to put his toes in the water, so to speak, but he's not ready to swim yet - so I promised him I wouldn't trick him into anything too serious until he feels more comfortable. He is meticulous with his vehicles, so it may take a little time to get him to scratch it up. Once he gets the off-road bug, however, I think he'll do fine... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Jaytil
Call Sign: KJ6BDW

Post by Jaytil » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi it's Jay Tillitt...quit talking about me like I'm not here!!!! :) My son and I are looking forward to this run. If only Larry was in town to install some more stuff on my truck before next weekend. If only I had the money pay for those upgrades. All in good time. I look forward to meeting new friends in Big Bear. Take care, Jay

P.S. I hope to see those Pinz on the trail.
2008 FJ TTSE, Icon/Swayaway lift, BFG AT 285s, Bud Built skids, AFE intake, tbs and high-tuck cat back, Gobi Stealth rack, MPAC racks, Powertank, DP dual batt, Hella HIDs, tons 'o PIAA. KJ6BDW

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi Jay! Welcome to OAUSA and congrats on the new TT FJ! See ya in Big Bear. :mrgreen:
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Jaytil wrote:Hi it's Jay Tillitt...quit talking about me like I'm not here!!!! :) My son and I are looking forward to this run. If only Larry was in town to install some more stuff on my truck before next weekend. If only I had the money pay for those upgrades. All in good time. I look forward to meeting new friends in Big Bear. Take care, Jay

P.S. I hope to see those Pinz on the trail.
Why not, I'm not there !!! Glad to see you up and posting...now if I can only get you to get the FJ dirty !!!
Seriously, the scenic trail planned here sounds like a great way to take a first drive off-road with the new baby... Once you get completely hooked, scratches will be something to look forward to... :mrgreen:

W6LPB / WPOK492

Return to “2008 OAUSA SummerFest Event (Big Bear)”