Summerfest Friday Aug 22 Run

ssc

Summerfest Friday Aug 22 Run

Post by ssc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:10 pm

I am proposing the following:
Fri Aug 22, meet at the discovery center at 12 noon.

Depart to the trail head 3n69-Gold Mtn. off Highway 18. The trail is just over 4 miles long and I would say it is Moderate. Stock rigs with good spotting can handle this trail, though sliders and protection are never a bad thing. The trail ends on 3n16. Left turn on 3n16 to 3n02, rt turn and off to Burnt Flat.

Burnt Flat is one way in and out. One rough section in. This trail is on the easy side of moderate. Good area to stop and take a break. See a natural spring and wild apple trees. Then leave and go to 3n10, rt turn.

3n10 at 3n02 is the first part of the John Bull trail--one black diamond. It has a couple of spots that qualify it as moderate plus. A stock rig can make it with good driving and spotting. I followed a stock fj and rodeo through part of it last week and passed them when appropriate. This part of the trail is only 1.5 miles. We then come to a clearing and a choice is to be made. We can run the three diamond part of Bull. This is difficult and 33inch tires, a rear locker, rails and armor are required. Option two use the bypass road 3n32 to go to 3n16 and then we go east to Jacoby Canyon. This is a nice trail, which I would rate as easy with a few moderate spots. It is very scenic and I generally see wildlife on this trail. It ends on Highway 18. Option three, as suggested by Scott, would be to take the trail to the west side of Bull and run it west to east.

Your thoughts are welcome. CB channel 23---alt 34.
Those who are going:
SSC aka Steve
sdnative aka Eric
Steve B
NotaMog aka Bruce
gon2srf aka Scott
cmjrfan8 aka Braden
StevesKJ aka Steve
Ibhsbz aka Pat

Regards, Steve aka SSC
Last edited by ssc on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

SteveB

Re: Summerfest Friday Aug 22 Run

Post by SteveB » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:19 pm

This sounds really good to me. I'll go to camp first and drop off my little camping trailer and meet you at 12:00.
SteveB
Its a Ti FJ not a toaster!

big dave

Post by big dave » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:21 pm

Gold Mountain isnt recommended for rigs with tires under 33", or stockers. I ran up there with 31's and a 3" suspension lift a couple of weekends ago and got stuck on the rocks on the first obstacle. Several lifted Jeeps on 33's and 35's were having trouble as well. I was strapped over the first obstacle, and the Jeeps were winched. Im not sure you wanna take any stock vehicles up there.
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:40 pm

I hope to be up there by 11:00 on Friday and join you for the Friday run. I haven't been on any of the trails around Big Bear other than some of the easy roads through Holcomb Valley and my one attempt at John Bull. I'm anxious to try some of these other trails I've been hearing about.

Will we need a Discovery Pass?
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

ssc

Post by ssc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:45 pm

I do not doubt your word, but I have taken stock rigs up that trail with spotting many times. Perhaps the weather has changed it. I will pre run it tomarrow. I was in BB last weekend running trails, but didn't hit GM. If anyone wants to run it tomarrow, Sun Aug 17 let me know. I spoke with 6 people who have run GM in the last 4 weeks without issue. 2 rigs were close to stock.

Regards, SSC
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com

ssc

Post by ssc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:50 pm

You only need a pass if you stop to "recreate." A ranger told me if you stop for more than 15 minutes. Who knows. I would suggest that everyone get a pass.

Regards, SSC

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:09 am

ssc wrote:I am proposing the following:
Fri Aug 22, meet at the discovery center at 12 noon.

Depart to the trail head 3n69-Gold Mtn. off Highway 18. The trail is just over 4 miles long and I would say it is Moderate. Stock rigs with good spotting can handle this trail, though sliders and protection are never a bad thing. The trail ends on 3n16. Left turn on 3n16 to 3n02, rt turn and off to Burnt Flat.

Burnt Flat is one way in and out. One rough section in. This trail is on the easy side of moderate. Good area to stop and take a break. See a natural spring and wild apple trees. Then leave and go to 3n10, rt turn.

3n10 at 3n02 is the first part of the John Bull trail--one black diamond. It has a couple of spots that qualify it as moderate plus. A stock rig can make it with good driving and spotting. I followed a stock fj and rodeo through part of it last week and passed them when appropriate. This part of the trail is only 1.5 miles. We then come to a clearing and a choice is to be made. We can run the three diamond part of Bull. This is difficult and 33inch tires, a rear locker, rails and armor are required. Option two use the bypass road 3n32 to go to 3n16 and then we go east to Jacoby Canyon. This is a nice trail, which I would rate as easy with a few moderate spots. It is very scenic and I generally see wildlife on this trail. It ends on Highway 18. Option three, as suggested by Scott, would be to take the trail to the west side of Bull and run it west to east.

Your thoughts are welcome. CB channel 34.

Regards, Steve aka SSC
This sounds fine by me, I'm in. As far as Gold Mountain being too much for Jeeps withs 33's and 35's all I can say is this, trails do change but it's all about the driver and spotter.
Image_Image_Image

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:45 am

NotAMog wrote:I hope to be up there by 11:00 on Friday and join you for the Friday run. I haven't been on any of the trails around Big Bear other than some of the easy roads through Holcomb Valley and my one attempt at John Bull. I'm anxious to try some of these other trails I've been hearing about.

Will we need a Discovery Pass?
Yes, our recommendation is that everyone get an Adventure Pass.
Dave
N6DCF

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Were do I get the Adventure Pass? Do I do it on line or go somewhere to pick it up. Thanks, SteveB
SteveB
Its a Ti FJ not a toaster!

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:44 pm

SteveB wrote:Were do I get the Adventure Pass? Do I do it on line or go somewhere to pick it up. Thanks, SteveB
They sell em at the discovery center in BB (our meeting place), and other places.

See here:

http://www.bigbeardiscoverycenter.com/forest.html
Last edited by sdnative on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “2008 OAUSA SummerFest Event (Big Bear)”