BorregoFest 2008 Potluck recipes

For the 2008 BorregoFest Event Report and Outcome Discussion
justjodi

BorregoFest 2008 Potluck recipes

Post by justjodi » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Ask and ye shall receive...

Coconut Crunch Cookies
(Modified from Taste of Home Magazine - October/November 2008)

1 cup (unsalted) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flaked coconut
1 package (11 1/2 ounces) chocolate chips (recipes calls for milk chocolate - I used dark)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped almonds

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the coconut, chocolate chips and almonds.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bank at 375º for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 4 1/2 dozen.
Jodi

FunJunkie

Re: BorregoFest 2008 Potluck recipes

Post by FunJunkie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:49 am

GOOD THREAD.
I hope to see more recipies. I'm a big foodie. Mabey we should have a favorite recipies section. trail and home sections.

justjodi

Post by justjodi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:59 am

FunJunkie wrote:GOOD THREAD.
I hope to see more recipies. I'm a big foodie. Mabey we should have a favorite recipies section. trail and home sections.
Check out the: Outdoor Adventure Cooking and BBQ section. There are several receipes posted there. I only started this thread because raYGunn was asking about specific recipes from the potluck.
Jodi

raYGunn

Post by raYGunn » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:31 am

Woohoo! Thanks! :D
97 LX450

hawkeye
Call Sign: hawkeye

Post by hawkeye » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:32 am

Exactly what recipes?

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:14 pm

hawkeye wrote:Exactly what recipes?
Recipes that you enjoyed and want to try out, or recipes that you prepared for BorregoFest and want to share with us.
Image_Image_Image

justjodi

Post by justjodi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 pm

This is how this all started...

From the BorregoFest Potluck Signups thread:
raYGunn wrote:Wow! There was a lot of food at the potluck!

Everything I tried was awesome thanks to everyone who prepared things. I tried to sample everything but I'm sure I missed a few things. There are some recipes I want to see posted or PM'd to me if possible. Once again, I liked everything I tried, these are just things that I want to try to make since they were so new to me or different from what I usually cook.

Here is my recipe wish list:

Fried Chicken, I don't know who brought this but I want to try to recreate it. Thank you!
Curried Macaroni, this was a new one for me, I want to make this for my wife.
BoBoNels fruit salad and dressing, this was the best fruit salad I have ever had, I'd drive 2+ hours just for this!
Jodi's cookies, this is going to get me yelled at by my wife but these were dang good!

Hmm, this is looking like a meal and dessert. :D
So if you are responsible for any of the above named dishes, please share and post your recipe here. If you tried something you liked and you want the recipe - post up a request here.
Jodi

hawkeye
Call Sign: hawkeye

Post by hawkeye » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:52 pm

I belive that the chicken was from a catering company or restorant,so the recipe may be hard to aquire. I agree it was delisius.

BoBoNel

Post by BoBoNel » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:53 pm

i'll post up my fruit salad/dressing rec. its easy but i admit.....i made it in such a large batch that i didnt measure ingrediants (so used 3/4 of a big bottle of malibu rum!!) thats why it was so good. :)

i've had that type of chicken before.....someone i knew used to get it at a chinese restaurant down in the southbay area.....she'd buy a huge pan of it for our bonko nights. i think its double salted/peppered chicken or something like that. i'm searching for it now too on menus....good stuff!!
G-4!!!!
Trail Mom

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:49 pm

I think somebody was looking for the chili recipe I used. Here it is, courtesy of Cook's Illustrated magazine. The recipe says this serves 6. I brought a batch and a half.

3 Dried Ancho Chile pods (about 1/2 oz), toasted and ground (directions below)
3 Dried New Mexico Chile pods (about 3/4 oz), toasted and ground (directions below)
2 T cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes, then ground
2 t dried oregano
1/2 C water
1 4 pound chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1" cubes
2 t salt
8 oz bacon (7 or 8 slices) cut into 1/4" pieces
1 medium onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
4-5 jalapeño peppers, cored, seeded and minced
1 C canned crushed tomatoes or plain tomato sauce
2 T fresh lime juice
5 T masa harina
Ground black pepper to taste

Toasting Chile Pods: Roast chile pods in a 350 degree oven until fragrant and puffed, about 6 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove stems and seeds from the chile's. Rip them into small pieces, and grind until powdery, 30-45 seconds. I keep an electric coffee grinder that I use only for grinding spices - no coffee! You may also be able to use a blender or one of those small food processors.

1. Mix chili powders, ground cumin seeds and oregano in a small bowl and stir in 1/2 C water (I use beer) to form a thick paste. Set aside. Toss beef cubes with salt in large bowl, set aside.

2. Fry bacon in large, heavy soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium low heat until fat renders and bacon crisps, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon with slotted spoon to paper towel lined plate; pour all but two tablespoons of fat from pot to small bowl and set aside.

3. Increase heat to medium-high and saute beef cubes in batches until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. This may take 4-5 batches. Add an additional 2 t of bacon fat as necessary between batches. Don't crowd the meat or it won't brown well.

4. Reduce heat to medium and add 3 T bacon fat to empty pot. Add onion and saute until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chili paste and saute unitl fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add reserved bacon, browned beef, crushed tomatoes or sauce, lime juice, and 7 cups water. Bring to simmer. Continue cooking at a steady simmer until meat is tender and juices are dark, rich, and starting to thicken, about 2 hours.

5. Mix masa harina with 2/3 cup water in a small bowl to form a smooth paste. Increase heat to medium; stir in paste and simmer until thickened, 5-10 minutes. Adjust seasoning generously with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or preferably, cool slightly, cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 5 days. Take chili out to the desert with 75 of your best friends. Spend the day wheeling. Whip up a batch of Dutch oven cornbread while enjoying a few of your favorite malt beverages. Reheat chili before serving. Garnish chili with any or all of your favorite chili garnishes (shredded cheese, chopped onions, cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, etc.)

The cornbread recipe is from the cookbook that came with your Lodge Dutch oven, and goes by the name Charly Bread. Since most anyone with a Dutch oven probably already has this, I won't print it here.
Dave
N6DCF

Return to “2008 BorregoFest Event Reports”