BorregoFest 2008 Potluck recipes

For the 2008 BorregoFest Event Report and Outcome Discussion
BoBoNel

Re: BorregoFest 2008 Potluck recipes

Post by BoBoNel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:57 am

that was some damn good chili dave!!!
Cnynrat wrote:I think somebody was looking for the chili recipe I used. Here it is, courtesy of Cook's Illustrated magazine. The recipe says this serves 6. I brought a batch and a half.

3 Dried Ancho Chile pods (about 1/2 oz), toasted and ground (directions below)
3 Dried New Mexico Chile pods (about 3/4 oz), toasted and ground (directions below)
2 T cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes, then ground
2 t dried oregano
1/2 C water
1 4 pound chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1" cubes
2 t salt
8 oz bacon (7 or 8 slices) cut into 1/4" pieces
1 medium onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
4-5 jalapeño peppers, cored, seeded and minced
1 C canned crushed tomatoes or plain tomato sauce
2 T fresh lime juice
5 T masa harina
Ground black pepper to taste

Toasting Chile Pods: Roast chile pods in a 350 degree oven until fragrant and puffed, about 6 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove stems and seeds from the chile's. Rip them into small pieces, and grind until powdery, 30-45 seconds. I keep an electric coffee grinder that I use only for grinding spices - no coffee! You may also be able to use a blender or one of those small food processors.

1. Mix chili powders, ground cumin seeds and oregano in a small bowl and stir in 1/2 C water (I use beer) to form a thick paste. Set aside. Toss beef cubes with salt in large bowl, set aside.

2. Fry bacon in large, heavy soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium low heat until fat renders and bacon crisps, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon with slotted spoon to paper towel lined plate; pour all but two tablespoons of fat from pot to small bowl and set aside.

3. Increase heat to medium-high and saute beef cubes in batches until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. This may take 4-5 batches. Add an additional 2 t of bacon fat as necessary between batches. Don't crowd the meat or it won't brown well.

4. Reduce heat to medium and add 3 T bacon fat to empty pot. Add onion and saute until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chili paste and saute unitl fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add reserved bacon, browned beef, crushed tomatoes or sauce, lime juice, and 7 cups water. Bring to simmer. Continue cooking at a steady simmer until meat is tender and juices are dark, rich, and starting to thicken, about 2 hours.

5. Mix masa harina with 2/3 cup water in a small bowl to form a smooth paste. Increase heat to medium; stir in paste and simmer until thickened, 5-10 minutes. Adjust seasoning generously with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or preferably, cool slightly, cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 5 days. Take chili out to the desert with 75 of your best friends. Spend the day wheeling. Whip up a batch of Dutch oven cornbread while enjoying a few of your favorite malt beverages. Reheat chili before serving. Garnish chili with any or all of your favorite chili garnishes (shredded cheese, chopped onions, cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, etc.)

The cornbread recipe is from the cookbook that came with your Lodge Dutch oven, and goes by the name Charly Bread. Since most anyone with a Dutch oven probably already has this, I won't print it here.
G-4!!!!
Trail Mom

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 pm

Did you happen to try CnynRat's cornbread? It was outstanding, thanks Dave. Also I want to apologize for not coming over to your camp for the burrito's you made Sunday morning. I had so much to do to get ready after spending a great deal of the morning cleaning up after the potluck, I just couldn't make it. Jodi brought a plate to me for the road and I want you to know that even cold, it tasted great. Thanks guys! :D
Image_Image_Image

Cnynrat

Post by Cnynrat » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:52 pm

For those interested the breakfast burrito recipe is from Eubi and can already be found on OAUSA here:

http://www.oausa.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=262

This was our first time trying this recipe, and all the reviews were great. We made a few adjustments because we were using a 10" DO instead of the 12" DO the recipe calls for. So, we used 10 eggs instead of 12, and a little less than 2 pounds of hash browns. I think we could have used the recipe as is in a 10" oven.
Dave
N6DCF

wampi

Post by wampi » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Does anyone have the recipe for the pasta salad that tasted like curry? That was really good :P

raYGunn

Post by raYGunn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:21 pm

wampi wrote:Does anyone have the recipe for the pasta salad that tasted like curry? That was really good :P
Yea! I was asking about this one as well.
97 LX450

BoBoNel

Post by BoBoNel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:59 pm

curry pasta salad was made by THATSALEXUS/Steve.......that was really good. hopefully he'll post up but he said it was just curry seasoning powder that he put on it.........yummy. i loved it.

i also want to find out who brought those great chicken wings/from where/and what are they called?
G-4!!!!
Trail Mom

THATSALEXUS?

Curry macaroni salad

Post by THATSALEXUS? » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:45 am

Actually, I don't have a specific quantity recipe. I make this all of the time for parties and such and it is always a pretty big hit. Here is the list of ingredients and the approx. quantities I used for that batch. You will obviously need to scale it down, probably by 2/3. for a normal sized batch.

3 bags salad macaroni
3-4 med carrots sliced into quarters lengthwise and then grated with a "normal" size cheese grater
1 jar Best Foods mayonaise (30oz.)
2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
3 tsp. curry powder (if you like curry, I recommend you buy a few different brands and find the one you like as curry is a mixture of lots of spices)
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cans whole olives, sliced by hand to avoid mushy ones
1 can of the reserved brine from the olives to adjust consistency as you go (bear in mind that thinning the sauce will increase the saltiness)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

I start by mixing up all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl while the macaroni is cooking
When the macaroni is done al dente (if you plan on eating it right away, you can cook it a little longer but the pasta will swell up pretty big if you store it), put in colander and rinse with cold water until cool
Start adding macaroni to sauce mix a little at a time to ensure a good ratio
Once everything is mixed, start tasting and adjusting until you're content. For me, this is the most important step. I always end up grinding more pepper, sprinkling more curry, etc. You get the idea.
Note: this is also good with celery sliced in very small pieces as well, I just wasn't in the mood for celery at the time :mrgreen:
I know this is somewhat vague but that's how I get it exactly how I want very time
Last edited by THATSALEXUS? on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wampi

Post by wampi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Awesome! Thanks for recipe :D

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:30 pm

I wish I could remember there names? They were a cute couple in there 20's I would guess. They brought chicken that was covered in a spicy, crunchy peanut sauce. That was excellent, recipe please? :)
Image_Image_Image

OLLIE
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:09 am

Victor (sdposer) brought some incredible chicken too. :)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “2008 BorregoFest Event Reports”