2008-10-26: Borregofest (Painted Gorge/Carizzo Mnt) Report

For the 2008 BorregoFest Event Report and Outcome Discussion
BigDouggieDoug

2008-10-26: Borregofest (Painted Gorge/Carizzo Mnt) Report

Post by BigDouggieDoug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:27 pm

Work kept me from BorregoFest until Sunday. I drove down early in the morning to join the group. Thanks BorregoWrangler for leading and Ollie for tail-gunning. It was nice to have met BlueFJ, Byteheed, and Eric (screenname?), gon2srf, and to see sdposer again. I was excited about returning to Anza-Borrego to explore yet another of many beautiful trails it has to offer. Plus, I've always met and enjoyed the company of fine 4-wheeling folks there.

On the way to the trail-head.
Man, the wild life in Anza-Borrego is ..... WILD!!! :shock:

Prepping at the trail head.

We ran along the train tracks. There were areas of fine soft sand that were fun to slide around in. sdposer's 4WD had problem engaging.
He was able to continue on using his front locker when needed. But a while later, sdposer stopped. Ollie stayed with him while the rest of us went on ahead.

Entering Painted Gorge running through Coyote Mountain (?).

Ascending Carrizo Mountain (?).

More views to enjoy on the ascend.

We were all enjoying the climb and it was not long before we looked back and saw that Ollie had caught up with the rest of us.

A short while later, coming through the CB, loud and clear with certain urgency: "Hey you guys, come back! I'm about to fall off the cliff!".

We turned around as fast as we could -- being on a narrow shelf-road. My heart skipped a beat when we got back there and saw this: :o :o :o

Byteheed was in front of Ollie when it happened and he had already hooked up the tow strap before the rest of us got there.

Gon2srf orchestrated the recovery.
Save the BugEater!!!!!!! I prayed.

Whew ........ A successful recovery!
Welcome back! What would I do without you and the BugEater, Ollie? You have shown me much fun in Anza-Borrego with a Truck Haven run this past January and now Painted-Gorge. You're not finished as my tour guide yet. :D

Having regained our composure, we contined on up.

This was a nice shady part of the trail to have lunch and a good chat.

View to the South: Painted Gorge, Yuha Basin, and Mexico beyond.

After lunch, we continued the ascend on Carrizo Mountain to the trail summit.

At the summit, there is a nice stone-step foot trail meandering around a beautiful catus garden.

Ollie and BorregoWrangler taking in the view before we headed back down.

More beautiful scenery of Painted Gorge to enjoy on the descend.

A detour for some roller-coaster rides.

Thanks BorregoWrangler for a successful run!

Heading home westward on the 8.

Besides the fun, I learned a lot on every trail run. Ollie, you've shown me Truckhaven and now Painted Gorge. Thanks a lot and looking forward to the next one. Good luck with your secret project at the Carrizo Mtn summit :?: :twisted: . Thanks BorregoWrangler, Byteheed, BlueFJ, Eric, gon2srf, sdposer. See you all soon again.
Last edited by BigDouggieDoug on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BigFJoy - '07 FJ Cruiser - a snail on trail.

ImageImageImage

gon2srf

Re: 2008-10-26: Borregofest (Painted Gorge/Carizzo Mnt) Report

Post by gon2srf » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Doug-

Outstanding pictures and trail report, thanks. What time did you get home? I made it just shy of 9:00pm. The S2 from Occotillo to the Scissors was desolate. It was a great drive and I got a chance to see parts of southern Anza Borrego I have never seen before.
Image_Image_Image

BigDouggieDoug

Post by BigDouggieDoug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:52 pm

Scott,

It was a pleasant surprise that traffic on the 805 and 5 was flowing at or above speed limit all the way home. No slowing problem, even with the one citizenship-check stop. So, it was a 2h 45m drive from the trail at S8.

ImageImageImage

byteheed
Call Sign: KI6JEV

Post by byteheed » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:21 pm

John, this was a really cool run and thanks again for leading it. I'd like to head back out there one of these days when I have more time to play around on the sand hills near the gate. The vistas were awesome from that shelf road and Claire's green-to-red hues on her face made the colors of Painted Gorge really pop out on the way down. :D (She informed that she's done off roading for the season... I was like "heck, the season's just started!") :P

I think on par with the scenery and fun rocky road was the excitement of Ollie's little mishap. I'll never forget hearing "Guys!" over the CB! :lol: What a great group, everyone took care of it with finesse.

I attached a GPX file of the run.
Attachments
BorregoFest2008-PaintedGorge-Carrizo-Run.gpx
BorregoFest2008 Painted Gorge / Carrizo Mtn
(143.73 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
Chris

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:32 pm

Chris-

Just wanted to say thanks for the sandwich and for coming out to BorregoFest and bring all the great eats and drinks. You are a great addition to this site and hope you stay tuned and keep posting up. Please tell Clair there are lots of other runs where we stay closer to the ground, don't give up yet. :D
Image_Image_Image

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:03 pm

Nice report there, Doug! I was glad to have you and everyone else along. I've really been wanting to run this trail again for a while now. It will be closed again from january to June. Of course it doesn't cool down enough to enjoy yourself outside until october, so that means that there's three good months out of the year to do this trail.
byteheed wrote:John, this was a really cool run and thanks again for leading it. I'd like to head back out there one of these days when I have more time to play around on the sand hills near the gate.
You're quite welcome, and that sounds like a good idea!
gon2srf wrote: What time did you get home?
We got home right around 6:30pm. :mrgreen:

Scott was showing off on the trail heading down along the tracks.

Those woops would come up fast. Scott almost lost his grill and I had a flashlight fly out.

Heading on up.

Hang on Ollie! We're on our way! :shock:

Whoa, that was a close one!

Careful, Doug! You don't want to pull an "Ollie"! :mrgreen:

Hey, shouldn't I be watching the road?

-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

BigDouggieDoug

Post by BigDouggieDoug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks so much John for having organized and led a fun and exciting run through such a beautiful area.
BorregoWrangler wrote: .... It will be closed again from january to June. Of course it doesn't cool down enough to enjoy yourself outside until october, so that means that there's three good months out of the year to do this trail.
Wow, I never knew trails there close down for so many months out of the year -- for the animals to roam and breed?
BorregoWrangler wrote: Careful, Doug! You don't want to pull an "Ollie"! :mrgreen:
Tempting, very tempting ....
Thanks Autumn, for the great pics.

ImageImageImage

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:46 pm

BigDouggieDoug wrote:Thanks so much John for having organized and led a fun and exciting run through such a beautiful area.
BorregoWrangler wrote: .... It will be closed again from january to June. Of course it doesn't cool down enough to enjoy yourself outside until october, so that means that there's three good months out of the year to do this trail.
Wow, I never knew trails there close down for so many months out of the year -- for the animals to roam and breed?
No problem at all! :mrgreen:

Here's the sign at the gate-
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Frogeye
Call Sign: KI6LHP

Post by Frogeye » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:13 am

Great trail report and pictures everyone. Wooohoooo Ollie! Hey was probably watching a movie on his Flat Screen LCD.=P
Chris

byteheed
Call Sign: KI6JEV

Post by byteheed » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:52 am

gon2srf wrote:Chris-

Just wanted to say thanks for the sandwich and for coming out to BorregoFest and bring all the great eats and drinks. You are a great addition to this site and hope you stay tuned and keep posting up. Please tell Clair there are lots of other runs where we stay closer to the ground, don't give up yet. :D
No problem, glad you enjoyed the sandwich and other goods. I should be thanking you and everyone else for making Claire and me feel welcome. This is a fun group and I look forward to running and camping with you all again.

Doug and John/Autumn - those photos are all great!
Chris

Return to “2008 BorregoFest Event Reports”