2008-10-24:BorregoFest (Borrego Badlands/Ocotillo) Report

For the 2008 BorregoFest Event Report and Outcome Discussion
Post Reply
zoshyii
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:04 am

Re: 2008-10-25: BorregoFest (Carrizo Badlands) Run

#1

Post by zoshyii » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:55 am

I had a lot of fun out there today! Thanks to everyone who helped us 2WD in the deep sand and the one rocky section. So far, the only carnage I have is the shattered mirror from carrizo creek brush. I'll update with some pics later.

User avatar
BorregoWrangler
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 6:53 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (El Cajon)
Contact:

2008-10-24:BorregoFest (Borrego Badlands/Ocotillo) Report

#2

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:17 am

Oh it went quite well! I ended up having to ride shotgun with raYGun to lead the run. The night before, Autumn's brother, Matt lost the clutch in his truck while we were heading up into Sheep Canyon. So I left my Jeep at camp with him so they could pick up the new parts. Jesse did a great job driving along the route. It was nice being in an air conditioned vehicle and it rode much smoother than the old YJ. In the haste of getting everything worked out so I coulod still lead the run, I forgot my camera so we'll have to wait on everyone else's pics.

Leaving Christmas Circle we turned down Borrego Springs Rd towards hwy 78. Then just before reaching Ocotillo Wells we left the blacktop at Buttes Pass. Borrego Mountain Wash trail took us to the sandy dropoff that emptied out at the slot canyon. After a few rocky sections we turned right down San Felipe Wash and into Ocotillo Wells OHV Area. Left onto Shell Reef Expressway took us to Devil's Slide where we played in the sand. Afterwards we soon found ourselves at the Pumpkin Patch. The globular sandstone 'pumpkins' were the result of natural cementation around a piece of shell or insect. Over time they've been exposed by the wind and rain. It was then off to Tule Wash, the Cross Over Trail and Arroyo Salado to visit Seventeen Palms. Traveling a little further up the wash, we came upon the historic Truckhaven Trail, which took us up to hwy S22. After a short distance on the highway we were back on the next section of Truckhaven Trail, which intersected Fonts Point Wash. Our run ended with an awesome view overlooking the Borrego Badlands. Thanks to raYGun, Cnynrat, Steve-B, rgb101 and RioDew for coming along.

Image
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

User avatar
raYGunn
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: OC

Re: 2008-10-24:BorregoFest (Borrego Badlands/Ocotillo) Report

#3

Post by raYGunn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:30 am

Thanks for leading this John. Your knowledge of the desert was astonishing! I was glad to have you riding with me Friday and I hope everyone that followed me had a good time!

Pictures: http://s519.photobucket.com/albums/u351 ... =slideshow
97 LX450

rgb101
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:29 pm
Call Sign: KI6TOO
Contact:

Re: 2008-10-24:BorregoFest (Borrego Badlands/Ocotillo) Report

#4

Post by rgb101 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:01 am

Thank for leading the ride and it was great fun for me and my wife. Hopefully I can some of the video I took with my flip video camera posted later. Cya next year.
08 FJ Cruiser
IC-92AD - KI6TOO

User avatar
rider77
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: 2008-10-25: BorregoFest (Carrizo Badlands) Run

#5

Post by rider77 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:28 pm

I had a lot of fun too...to bad I had to get stuck on the last big rock before the wash, atleast some 4x4's got stuck too :D thanks for pulling me out!

I did manage to destroy my passenger side trailing arm mount (rear lca mount) on that last rock before the wash. Im going to bend it back out for now and put some all pro skids over them but im debating to plasma cut the old ones off and make some new mounts out of 3/16" plate steel. im still under 36k miles and a frame mod doesnt sound too appealing right now, ill just cover up the problem for now with some skids, if you cant see it its not there right? haha
4x2 prerunner FJ cruiser with lots of mods

gon2srf
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 am

Re: 2008-10-25: BorregoFest (Carrizo Badlands) Run

#6

Post by gon2srf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:31 pm

rider77 wrote:I had a lot of fun too...to bad I had to get stuck on the last big rock before the wash, atleast some 4x4's got stuck too :D thanks for pulling me out!

I did manage to destroy my passenger side trailing arm mount (rear lca mount) on that last rock before the wash. Im going to bend it back out for now and put some all pro skids over them but im debating to plasma cut the old ones off and make some new mounts out of 3/16" plate steel. im still under 36k miles and a frame mod doesnt sound too appealing right now, ill just cover up the problem for now with some skids, if you cant see it its not there right? haha
I have the AP skids and they work well but do yourself a favor and buy some nylocks and use some locktite. The nuts like to back off with the AP skids mounted. It's a pretty common problem.
Image_Image_Image

User avatar
rider77
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: 2008-10-25: BorregoFest (Carrizo Badlands) Run

#7

Post by rider77 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:39 pm

gon2srf wrote:
rider77 wrote:I had a lot of fun too...to bad I had to get stuck on the last big rock before the wash, atleast some 4x4's got stuck too :D thanks for pulling me out!

I did manage to destroy my passenger side trailing arm mount (rear lca mount) on that last rock before the wash. Im going to bend it back out for now and put some all pro skids over them but im debating to plasma cut the old ones off and make some new mounts out of 3/16" plate steel. im still under 36k miles and a frame mod doesnt sound too appealing right now, ill just cover up the problem for now with some skids, if you cant see it its not there right? haha
I have the AP skids and they work well but do yourself a favor and buy some nylocks and use some locktite. The nuts like to back off with the AP skids mounted. It's a pretty common problem.
so ive heard but thanks for reminding me. do the AP skids come with longer bolts or do I have to go buy my own? I also heard that the skids are now coming with the round tab hanging off the end already cut off since they were hitting on peoples trailing arms when flexing out. I think mine well arive tomorrow, im hoping they fit up ok and my mounts arent too far off...ill try to load up some pictures of the damage.
4x2 prerunner FJ cruiser with lots of mods

gon2srf
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 am

Re: 2008-10-25: BorregoFest (Carrizo Badlands) Run

#8

Post by gon2srf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:18 pm

rider77 wrote:
gon2srf wrote:
rider77 wrote:I had a lot of fun too...to bad I had to get stuck on the last big rock before the wash, atleast some 4x4's got stuck too :D thanks for pulling me out!

I did manage to destroy my passenger side trailing arm mount (rear lca mount) on that last rock before the wash. Im going to bend it back out for now and put some all pro skids over them but im debating to plasma cut the old ones off and make some new mounts out of 3/16" plate steel. im still under 36k miles and a frame mod doesnt sound too appealing right now, ill just cover up the problem for now with some skids, if you cant see it its not there right? haha
I have the AP skids and they work well but do yourself a favor and buy some nylocks and use some locktite. The nuts like to back off with the AP skids mounted. It's a pretty common problem.
so ive heard but thanks for reminding me. do the AP skids come with longer bolts or do I have to go buy my own? I also heard that the skids are now coming with the round tab hanging off the end already cut off since they were hitting on peoples trailing arms when flexing out. I think mine well arive tomorrow, im hoping they fit up ok and my mounts arent too far off...ill try to load up some pictures of the damage.
You need to buy your own bolts. Hope you beat em' sensless, the skids, that is.
Image_Image_Image

Post Reply

Return to “2008 BorregoFest Event Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests