Anza Borrego info needed

Plan and discuss upcoming Expedition adventures
OU812
Call Sign: KJ6COB

Anza Borrego info needed

Post by OU812 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:00 am

Some friends and I would like to explore Anza. The Forest service website doesn't have very good maps. I would like to stick to easy/moderate stuff. I was looking at Canyon Sin Nombre and Split Mountain. I am not sure how close these two are to each other. But I would like to put together a run to see the sights. If anyone has links to maps or historical sites please post them up. I have a few weeks to plan. We are talking about going out Sunday Dec. 6. If anyone one wants to join us, feel free.
KJ6COB

sdnative

Re: Anza Borrego info needed

Post by sdnative » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:13 am

Here's a good map of the park

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/ABDSPmap.pdf

OU812 wrote:I was looking at Canyon Sin Nombre and Split Mountain. I am not sure how close these two are to each other. But I would like to put together a run to see the sights. If anyone has links to maps or historical sites please post them up.
I think I have been to this area once. I can send you some GPS tracks if you are interested. Send me your email via PM.

Canyon Sin Nombre and Split Mountain are not really close, but there are some great trails that start at one and end at the other.

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:26 am

I would recommend the book Guide To Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells. Its a very popular guidebook for the backcountry and covers quite a few trails in Anza-Borrego.

Of course, you can't beat having someone who knows the area along with you. If I can make it out on that date I'd be more than happy to show you around. There's quite a few others around here who I'm sure would be happy to do the same.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Also Anza Borrego is a State Park. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

Return to “EXPEDITION PLANNING”