Death Valley trip

Plan and discuss upcoming Expedition adventures
ralphie
Call Sign: KI6VTJ

Death Valley trip

Post by ralphie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:52 pm

I am planing to do a Death Valley trip, around the end of Mar beginning of Apr,(maybe the end of Apr) work permitting :D Im still doing some planing and looking at the weather,road conditions and clousers and stuff,if anyone would like to go just post up.
Last edited by ralphie on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST GO ADVENTUERING!!!
TLCA # 19122
KI6VTJ
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom
must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Re: Death Vally trip

Post by salad_man » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:56 pm

This sounds good, I have not been up that way for a couple years. Lets see the details then hopefully I can make it.
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: Death Vally trip

Post by OLLIE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm definitely interested. Haven't been on the ground in Death Valley yet (flown over it a lot). It is on my list of places to see. :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

ralphie

Re: Death Valley trip

Post by ralphie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Well thinking in time time frame of like late Mar or early Apr for five days max! including dirve time from san diego. the route i would like to do is day one drive to lower palm spring camp,day two Steel Pass to crankshaft junction down to Ubehebe Crater, Scotty's Castle, to Mesqute spring camp,day three drive down to Furnace Creek camp pending drive time, go check out Badwater take pic and such, Day four drive down to Ashford Mill to warmSpring Canyon check out Barker ranch(Charlie Manson House) evan though it burned down,then on to GolerWash out to Ballrat (Ghost town) then on to Ridgecrest for a room motel and a shower.thats what i have now if anyone has any ideas im open, all is easy but the top of Steel Pass, Im going to call the ranger office for the road conditions tomarrow, i have two rigs counting myself as of right now. So i hope that more will join in the fun. more info to come. :D
JUST GO ADVENTUERING!!!
TLCA # 19122
KI6VTJ

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:11 pm

That is is Wirlwind trip, you will not get to see much. Do you realize how big Death Valley is? You should consentrate your trip to a section and base camp or stay two nights in one campsite then do one day travel to another. From San Diego (South Bay) I can get to Wildrose in 6 hours to Furnace Creek in 6.5 to 7. So one day in one day out to home. I have done this 4 times; missed last years trip :( . Also gas is few and far between and they are very proud of their fuel so bring the credit card or lots o' cash.

I would do this:
Day 1: Travel to Ridgecrest (top off tanks) head to Wildrose campground (free camping) See the website about the Charcoal Kilns.
Day 2 & 3: Travel to Jail Canyon and the other canyons, do the South Park loop (great trail - home to chicken rock)
Day 4: Travel to Furnace Creek via Golar Wash you can see Barker Ranch, Geologist cabin, Striped Butte and many mines. You should be able to camp at one of the NPS sites like Sunset or Texas Spring (no reservations needed) or Furnace Creek (reservations required. Remember to stop at the park visitor center to pay the $20.00 entrance fee the campsites you pay at the site.
Day 5: Head home.

To just explore the area of Furnace Creek you could spend all the time there. Lots to see, lots of trails to do. Just my experience.

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:24 am

photojeeper wrote:That is is Wirlwind trip, you will not get to see much. Do you realize how big Death Valley is? You should consentrate your trip to a section and base camp or stay two nights in one campsite then do one day travel to another. From San Diego (South Bay) I can get to Wildrose in 6 hours to Furnace Creek in 6.5 to 7. So one day in one day out to home. I have done this 4 times; missed last years trip :( . Also gas is few and far between and they are very proud of their fuel so bring the credit card or lots o' cash.

I would do this:
Day 1: Travel to Ridgecrest (top off tanks) head to Wildrose campground (free camping) See the website about the Charcoal Kilns.
Day 2 & 3: Travel to Jail Canyon and the other canyons, do the South Park loop (great trail - home to chicken rock)
Day 4: Travel to Furnace Creek via Golar Wash you can see Barker Ranch, Geologist cabin, Striped Butte and many mines. You should be able to camp at one of the NPS sites like Sunset or Texas Spring (no reservations needed) or Furnace Creek (reservations required. Remember to stop at the park visitor center to pay the $20.00 entrance fee the campsites you pay at the site.
Day 5: Head home.

To just explore the area of Furnace Creek you could spend all the time there. Lots to see, lots of trails to do. Just my experience.

JJ
Great info sir. I know you have a lot of experience in this area. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

ralphie

Post by ralphie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:42 pm

I dont really want to do the trail that has chicken rock on it cause i've read to many horror stories of trucks fliping over and falling off the cliff, guess thats why they call it chicken rock :D , but i would like a great
expo style run throught the valley. ive read alot of good trips throught steel pass and the big loop around the valley. i'm still doing the milege and site seeing stuff,I will up date tomarow.
JUST GO ADVENTUERING!!!
TLCA # 19122
KI6VTJ

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:33 pm

I went into the warm springs this past New Year’s Eve via Eureka Dunes, Dedeckera Canyon and Steel Pass. I felt that Steel pass was a bit easier than in past years. I guess some sand has been washed out giving more clearance. I am doing Death Valley March 19 -22. When you firm up your plans, if they overlap at all , we can set up a meet on 2meter simplex.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Sounds like a good trip here, ralphie. I haven't been to Death Valley National Park or Panamint Mountains yet, but I've got a trip in the works for Thanksgiving weekend. Maybe. Here's how I have everything planned out so far...

2010 Death Valley National Park & Panamint Mountains Trip
(Thanksgiving weekend ?)

Trip Itenerary:

Drive out to Panamint Springs Resort after work to camp. Bring extra gas along as the gas stations in the area will be expensive.

52 W - 15 N - 395 N - 190 E

Day One- Get an early start on trails for Racetrack via Hunter Mountain and Swansea-Cerro Gordo Road. Camp at Salt Tramway Station or nearby high atop the Inyo Mountains along Swansea-Cerro Gordo Road.

Special Attractions
Rugged, moderately challenging 4WD trails.
Teakettle Junction.
The Grandstand.
Racetrack Playa and the mysterious moving rocks.
Aerial tramway.

Day Two- Finish trail down to town of Swansea and take Hwy 136 to Hwy 190 to Ballarat. Start Pleasant & South Park Canyon loop trail. Camp along the route at either Briggs or Stone Cabin if they are available.

136 E - 190 E - R. Panamint Valley Rd - R. Trona Wildrose Rd - L. Ballarat Rd - R. Wingate Rd

Special Attractions
Scenic, high elevation trail.
Many mines, cabins and structures along the way.

Day Three- Finish South Park Canyon back to the highway and home.

Death Valley has more miles of roads than any other national park, with nearly one thousand miles of paved and dirt roads provide ample opportunities for recreation and exploration.
Stay on established roads:
Driving off roads is prohibited. The desert environment is extremely fragile and slow to recover from vehicle damage. Honor road closures. If in doubt, do not drive.

Vehicles
Vehicles must be street legal. Vehicles with off-the-highway registration (California green-sticker) cannot be operated anywhere within the national park. All vehicles must have valid license plates and highway registration including two-wheel-drive and four-wheel drive vehicles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, dune buggies, trail bikes, mini-bikes and every other mechanically-driven means of transportation.

Wilderness
The wilderness boundary is 50 feet from the center line of most backcountry dirt roads. Only foot or horseback traffic is allowed within the park's wilderness.

Travel prepared
Things can go wrong quickly in the backcountry. Pre-trip planning could save your life. Bring basic tools, a shovel, extra water and food with you. In the higher elevations, snow and ice conditions may require tire chains. Top off your gas tank before starting a trip. Flat tires are a common problem for backcountry visitors due to rough road conditions or from having unsuitable tires. Make sure your vehicle is equipped with “off-road” tires rather than highway or street tires. Carry at least one inflated spare tire (preferably two), a can of fix-a-flat or tire plug kit, a way to air up, a lugwrench, and be sure all parts of your jack are on hand. Know how to use your equipment before you head out.

Bring water
Always carry extra water for you and your vehicle. In hot weather you need at least a gallon per person per day. A 5-gallon container of water is standard emergency backup. Springs and other natural water sources may be dry or contaminated. Do not depend on them.

If your vehicle breaks down
It is best to stay with your vehicle if it breaks down. On main roads, another traveler should come along sooner than you could walk for help. Leave the car’s hood up and/or mark the road with a large X visible to aircraft. If you decide to walk out, stay on the main roads—do not cut cross-country. If it’s hot, walk out only if you can carry sufficient water and wait until after sundown. Leave a dated note describing your plan with your vehicle. Dial 911 in case of emergencies, but remember, cell phone reception is non-existant in most areas of the park. Towing charges are high and AAA often doesn’t cover tows on dirt roads.

Be a good road neighbor
Stop to help those in need. Report anyone in trouble to the nearest ranger. You may need help yourself some time.

Safety in numbers
Travel in a group of two or more 4WD vehicles in remote areas and on rough roads. If that is not possible, leave a trip plan with a reliable person that will do follow-up on your safe return.

Don’t expect road signs
Most backcountry road junctions are unmarked, so carry good maps and study them in advance. Be alert for washouts and other road damage.

Know the weather forcast
Rain or snow can alter road conditions and make travel dangerous. Flashflooding is possible almost anywhere in the park, but is more likely in canyons. Do not camp in dry washes or drainages due to the possibility of a flash flood

Hantavirus - Prevention
1. When opening an unused cabin, shed, or other building, open all the doors and windows, leave the building, and allow the space to air out for 30 minutes.
2. Return to the building and spray the surfaces, carpet, and other areas with a disinfectant. Leave the building for another 30 minutes.
3. Spray mouse nests and droppings with a 10% solution of chlorine bleach or similar disinfectant. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Using rubber gloves, place the materials in plastic bags. Seal the bags and throw them in the trash or an incinerator. Dispose of gloves and cleaning materials in the same way.
4. Wash all potentially contaminated hard surfaces with a bleach or disinfectant solution. Avoid vacuuming until the area has been thoroughly decontaminated. Then, vacuum the first few times with enough ventilation. Surgical masks may provide some protection

I like to do as much research as I can on an area I haven't been before. I'd like to head on out to the Mojave Road sometime this spring but if things change it looks like I could head out to Death Valley for this run.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

ralphie

Post by ralphie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:09 pm

hey john , i did alot of reading on Death Valley and my only worry right now is the weather and road closeuers and right now the rangers told me most of the roads i want to drive are closed cause of snow and ice.
he said they are posting road conditions on a daliy basis. so iguess i'll just keep watching the forest service website.
JUST GO ADVENTUERING!!!
TLCA # 19122
KI6VTJ

Return to “EXPEDITION PLANNING”