Red Canyon trail stock 4x4 friendly?

Plan and discuss upcoming Expedition adventures
Ken&Jill
Call Sign: K6KCE

Red Canyon trail stock 4x4 friendly?

Post by Ken&Jill » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 am

Does anybody know if the Red Canyon trail from Chiriaco Summit to the Bradshaw trail is stock 4x4 friendly?
We are thinking about a weekend out there in the next few weeks leaving from the 10 fwy. @ Chiriaco Summit, driving down the Red Canyon Trail to the Bradshaw trail. Spending the night and doing a couple hikes up into some washes then leaving via the South towards the Salton Sea.
It will be our first time out there.
Thanks
Ken

BorregoWrangler

Re: Red Canyon trail stock 4x4 friendly?

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:02 pm

You should be just fine in a stock 4x4. One of my guide books rates it as a 4 on a scale of 10. Much of the trail winds along the top of an extremely narrow spine before descending to meet the Bradshaw Trail. There are many small washes to cross and a deep gully at the head of Red Canyon. The trail surface is smooth although there are some steep sections. The trail undulates along the ridge top which is extremely narrow in places, with dizzying drops on both sides. There are many blind crests along the trail and care should be taken when approaching them. Many of them hide abrupt changes in direction and there is little room for error.

Have fun and be safe! :)
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Yes, Borregowrangler is correct. I have done this trail twice; just watch where you are going. Keep the speed slow and enjoy the ride! The side washes are steep and some are soft. So if you are by yourself you may not be able to get out. I had to strap a vehicle out coming out of the canyon. There are many roads in that area; with plenty of old mines to look at and plenty of photo ops. Enjoy!

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

Ken&Jill
Call Sign: K6KCE

Post by Ken&Jill » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:15 pm

Thanks guys!
I understand there is a suburban that got buried in a wash up there years ago and is still there!
Ken

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Really; interesting. That area is quite large. I am planning on doing a couple of day trips this spring out there. Wait for the plants to bloom.

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

Return to “EXPEDITION PLANNING”