Got a 3 day weekend, where are we going? Updated Mojave Road

Plan and discuss upcoming Expedition adventures
Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Got a 3 day weekend, where are we going? Updated Mojave Road

Post by Crismateski » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Well, I just found out that my wife and I have a 3 day weekend, and we want to get out for some camping and exploring. I was thinking maybe heading out towards Mojave or some other desert area. I don't do well with heat, so I normally stick to mountain areas, but this seems like the perfect opportunity to go explore. Here is where you guys come in, where should we go, and does anyone want to head out as a group?

We can leave Upland Friday evening, and have to be back by 4pm Monday. Has to be somewhere we can tent camp along the way, preferably somewhere were we can have camp fires so maybe BLM land. Looking to get some trail time, does not have to be anything crazy, just not pavement, see some interesting sights, and hopefully hang out with a good group, maybe even do a bit of shooting. We are really open to whatever.

Cris
Last edited by Crismateski on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... onBuilding

BorregoWrangler

Re: Got a 3 day weekend, where are we going?

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:17 pm

I assume its for this weekend, 14th-16th? Wish I could join you. I'll be heading out on the 21st and 22nd this month to either El Centro or Palo Verde for some fishing.

There are plenty of areas you guys could explore in the Mojave, Death Valley, or Anza Borrego. You could also check out the Bradshaw Trail and Joshua Tree.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Cris:

John's suggestions are very good, but be careful. Shooting is not allowed in DV, Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego or the Mojave Preserve. The only exception would be the Mojave Preserve, where hunting is allowed, but not target shooting. Assuming that you have a valid hunting license, at this time the only thing legal in the MP are bunnies and varmints. There are BLM areas that are adjacent to AB where shooting is legal. The same is true for the other locations as well, but you may have to spend some time driving. Check it out with the park service and the BLM first.

In AB campfires are legal, but they must be in a fire pan. The fine is considerable for ground fires. In the MP, there are a great many dispersed campgrounds, (and a few established ones) where you can have a campfire (no pan required, but recommended). In DV no campfires are allowed except in established campgrounds.

My recommendation would be the Mojave Preserve. Spectacular scenery, ample dispersed camping opportunities, plenty of trails, campfires are allowed and a reasonable drive from LA. One note of caution - be prepared for the cold!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Crismateski

Post by Crismateski » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:05 pm

The more I look into stuff, we were thinking Mohave, not sure if we are going to try and set up a "base camp" and just explore or make a run for the mohave road. I am hoping to find someone with more knowledge on the area to come along

Thanks for the info on shooting, I had not looked into that aspect of it yet
2006 Dodge Power Wagon
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro

Crismateski

Post by Crismateski » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:41 pm

So, I think we are going to head for Mojave Road, still hoping to have some company though. Does anyone either have a copy of the guide book I can borrow for the weekend, or know of somewhere besides online that i can go buy a copy. I don't have time to have one shipped.

The other question I have is which direction would you recommend going. We want to head out Fri night, so I figure either camp at the Afton Canyon campground, or get a room at the Avi
2006 Dodge Power Wagon
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Re: Got a 3 day weekend, where are we going? Updated Mojave Road

Post by photojeeper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 pm

I beileve that the NPS HQ in Barstow has copies of the Mojave Road Guide. You may want to give them a call. Since the book is designed to go East to West that is the best way. The Avi is good; also there is a KOA in Needles but that was a longtime ago.

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

Crismateski

Re: Got a 3 day weekend, where are we going? Anza Borrego

Post by Crismateski » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Since it does not look like anyone will be able to make it, I think we are going to put off the Mojave road until I can do a bit more planning, and have at least one more vehicle with me. A small group from Expedition Portal is going to Anza Borrego, and have invited us along. We have never been to AB, so it still gets us our little adventure into a new area. We are camping near Fish Creek. I am googling like crazy to check out the area and so far it looks pretty awesome.

Cris
2006 Dodge Power Wagon
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Fish Creek/Split Mountain is a neat area. The entrance has a primitive campsite with fire rings and pit toilets. There are a few spots along the trail where you drive over fossilized reef beds.

You can hike about a mile up to the wind caves and get great views of the area. North Fork Fish Creek splits off around there and gets fairly interesting. Loop Wash is an alternate route along the way the connects back into the main trail.

Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Dropoff can be accessed a ways down the wash too. Sandstone Canyon is always a great highlight, especially with the partial collapses from the last earthquakes. Continuing further up Fish Creek will take you past Split Rock, an ancient indian campsite, and to the bottom of Heart Attack Hill on Pinyon Mountain Road.

Have fun out there!
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

Crismateski

Post by Crismateski » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:00 pm

The little bit I have been able to check out online, it looks like it will be great.

Are there any 2m repeaters in the area, I am assuming that there is not much in the way of Cell reception.
2006 Dodge Power Wagon
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro

michael
Call Sign: KI6JFU

Post by michael » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:16 am

Crismateski wrote:The little bit I have been able to check out online, it looks like it will be great.

Are there any 2m repeaters in the area, I am assuming that there is not much in the way of Cell reception.
Cell reception is spotty, but does exist.

ECRA's Monument Peak repeaters cover Anza Borrego DSP and are linked via the CalZona net to southwestern Arizona.

147.240 MHz, Plus, PL 103.5Hz (KA6DAC) and 449.180 MHz, Minus, PL 88.5 Hz (KA6DAC-1)

Many of the repeaters on Palomar Mountain also cover most of ABDSP:

146.730, Minus, PL 107.2 W6NWG (PARC) and 147.030 MHz, Plus, PL 103.5 K6RIF (ECRA)

Palomar Mountain has several more repeaters that cover most, if not all, of the park.

Anza Borrego is a great place to visit with many different geological areas. It will take you several trips just to see the highlights!
Time to stop talking about it and just go do it!

Return to “EXPEDITION PLANNING”