North Rim Grand Canyon 2018

Post reports and photos of Expedition adventures
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: North Rim Grand Canyon 2018

Post by DaveK » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Paul

GREAT videos!!! There is no way a still photo can convey how rocky and bumpy the roads really were!!!

JumpingCholla wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:21 am

SoapCloth is intended for self hygienic washing of a full size person's entire body under field conditions while using minimal amounts of water and utilizing a unique soap formula that evaporates by itself, eliminating the need for wiping or drying

Definitely TMI
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:00 pm

First, I'd like to thank Dave for planning and orchestrating a great expedition style trip! I have been wanting to go on one of his trips for years and finally made this one.

The initial impression was that the trip wasn't too different from the usual 3 or 4 day trips I generally do with the difference that you can range much further afield and fuel, water, and food become the limiting factors.

Another thing I found was that this kind of trip will amplify any problems with your rig and equipment that you may not have noticed before. I had planned to operate some HF ham radio but I found that the circuit that charges the battery in the back of my truck was not working properly. Between the refrigerator and the ham radio I ran the battery down by the second day. Fortunately, the power in the back was all joined with Power Pole connectors so I was quickly able to rewire it so that everything ran off of the truck starting battery.

I didn't think I'd need a solar panel so I left it at home. It would have been really handy to have to keep the batteries charged on the days we weren't traveling.

I also found some loose nuts and screws on the floor of the truck cab. They must have shaken apart on the rough roads.

I also became a convert to having a shower on the trail. I've had one for some time but rarely used it because of the hassle of setting it up and taking it down. I would just use baby wipes for 3 or 4 day trips. A shower, even a water conserving "submarine" shower, at the end of the day felt much better than wiping down with baby wipes.

Dave already did a great job posting picture so I don't want to duplicate what he already put up but here are a few of mine.
DSC_0383.jpg
Here is my ham radio setup on the edge of the Grand Canyon at Kelley Point.

DSC_0442.jpg
These little guys (actually I think they're gals) were all around Kelley Point. They would hover almost motionless right at the edge of the cliff. They were very territorial quickly driving away another other insect that invaded their space. They are a species of carpenter bees (Xylocopa veripuncta?)

DSC_0453.jpg
Here is little forced perspective making one look like the giant Grand Canyon bee with a 50' wing span. Actually they were a nuisance sometime getting into your pictures when you didn't want them.

DSC_0507.jpg
Dave enjoying the sunset at Kelly Point.

DSC_0516.jpg
A truly spectacular campsite.

DSC_0498.jpg
An avid photographer could easily spend weeks at Kelly Point taking pictures of the canyon, vegetation, and gnarled juniper wood lying around.

DSC_0488.jpg
Here are some unusual looking clouds we saw.

DSC_0573.jpg
We arrived at the Whitmore Canyon Overlook near sunset requiring an alteration in our dinner plans and eating by camp light. It is valuable to have flexibility with your cooking plans. I had planned to have a somewhat elaborate dinner that night. We ended up having a very satisfying spaghetti dinner. I have to thank everyone for helping with the cleanup afterward. I was really beat that evening.

DSC_0576.jpg
Here is the view the next morning. I really liked the fact that I could hear the sound of the rapids below while in bed when the wind was blowing just right.

DSC_0649.jpg
The campsite at Whitmore Canyon Overlook was rocky and barren but I did manage to find this one flower poking up between some rocks.

DSC_0675.jpg
And here is the popular plate of food picture of our dinner at the Bar 10 Ranch.

DSC_0677.jpg
And the obligatory "Normal Rockwell" dinner picture at the Bar 10.
Attachments
DSC_0453.jpg
DSC_0442.jpg
DSC_0383.jpg

SAB

Post by SAB » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:35 am

I too would like to thank Dave for putting together this adventure. It was, in a word, awesome.

Once my buddy John and I had a confirmed spot in the group, we determined that it would be best to take a single vehicle. This was more more out of need than anything. The group wanted to keep the number of vehicles to a minimum (this was a problem on the last day of the trip) and mine had developed a leaky front pump on the trans. After John and I had worked out the logistics, of how to be on the trail for this long, John found another vehicle he really wanted. This set off a whole other set of fire drills as we (he) determined what would need to be fixed/modified for the trip.

Anyway, I'm not going to go into great detail here about our preparations. Suffice it to say that it was an excersize in prioritization as we went through our gear over and over to determined if it was a need or a want. I think we ended up putting 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb sack with John's little truck.
20180502 143754.jpg
20180502 143054.jpg
John's 'new' truck didnt have a radio. I quickly 3D printed a mount for it. Surprisingly, it survived the whole trip!
20180501 190319.jpg
Nine days of food for four people. Fortunately Paul & Sami had a fridge to keep the non-canned items.
20180502 170747.jpg
Loaded and ready to go. This was all we needed...mostly.
20180511 011157.jpg
My nightly accommodation. A Cabellas tent-cot. I love this thing!
20180510 061048.jpg
The Bar-10 had a shower and a bed. This my first shower in 5 days...yuk!
20180507 193149.jpg
Relaxing at the end of the day. What a view! Did I mention that I don't like heights?
20180511 123815.jpg
Our last day on the trail. This is the Tuweep Overlook. We lost one along the way.

Return to “EXPEDITION RUN REPORTS”