The Mojave Road JAN 9/11 09'

Post reports and photos of Expedition adventures
FunJunkie

Re: The Mojave Road JAN9/11 09'

Post by FunJunkie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:26 am

cruiserlarry wrote:
gon2srf wrote:John you are awesome man. Full trip report before 11:00pm on Sunday at the end of a great 3 day journey, what a trooper. Those whoops between Beale Mtn. and Marl Springs are ruthless but it looks like your new hitch/rack worked great and survived the trip!

Edit: I just noticed you had five no shows. :shock: I sure hope they all tried to get in touch with you, that's just not right. Who is driving the other FJ besides Ralphie, is that Bruised FJ? Anyway 6 rigs is perfect! :D
It's a shame so many who committed didn't show, but small group can be a lot of fun, too...

I think that is BruisedFJ - so how did the new radio work out in Mojave, Jon ??
Beautifil pics! we will be out there next weekend, You guys stopped at alot more neat places than we did last time. very cool!

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks for posting up another great report, guys! Wish I could have made this trip, but having been out of work for two months, I just couldn't justify the cost. Oh well, maybe next time.
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

BruisedFJ
Call Sign: KV6WTF

Post by BruisedFJ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Yes, I was the other FJ. Larry, both the ham and CB worked great, though it was sometimes challenging knowing which radio I was hearing. Lacruiser also had both types of radios, and two vehicles had ham only. But we made it all work.

Here is a link to 85 pics (of the 210) that I took. I'm not quite able to post them directly to this site yet. Sorry. I'll get there soon.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... leid=en_US

They pale in comparison to John's pics, but I did get more flash in the caves, so there is more detail in those. Additionally, I was the tailgunner, so you get to see everyone's back side in my pics. :D
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:44 pm

gon2srf wrote:John you are awesome man. Full trip report before 11:00pm on Sunday at the end of a great 3 day journey, what a trooper. Those whoops between Beale Mtn. and Marl Springs are ruthless but it looks like your new hitch/rack worked great and survived the trip!

Edit: I just noticed you had five no shows. :shock: I sure hope they all tried to get in touch with you, that's just not right. Who is driving the other FJ besides Ralphie, is that Bruised FJ? Anyway 6 rigs is perfect!
:D
Thanks, Scott! I sure did sleep well when I got home. The hitch worked out ok. 13 gallons of gas, 6 gallons of water and some firewood proved to be a bit too much for the bumper, though. The bolts were starting to pull out and stress the metal, so Adam (Lost Canyon) put 'em in the bed of his truck. What I really need is an overhead cargo rack.

Also, we actually had 7 rigs total for the trip. You'll just have to come along next time! :mrgreen:
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

THATSALEXUS?

Post by THATSALEXUS? » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Wow, what a great run! We had alot of fun and had the opportunity to see some pretty incredible scenery. By the time I got home last night I was well overdue for a shower and just wanted to chill on the couch.

I really enjoyed camping at altitude the first night, but the %$#@ wind was a little much. I don't mind cold in the least but the wind was a different matter :roll: Most of us ended up gathered around the grill and having some chicken, braut's and beer :mrgreen: I ended up hittin' the sack pretty early as usual.

Day 2 was every bit as great as day 1. We had a pretty rapid descent back down to the desert floor and 10 or so miles of the most relaxing whoops I've ever experinced. So much so that I was being rocked to sleep. So.......1 1/2 rockstar's later, I was ready to go.

I have to say that I think we stumbled upon the "perfect" campsite. Just about the time everyone had strategically placed their vehicles to create the most effective windbreak, the wind died completely. What a beautiful night, perfect really. I whipped up a batch of my "world famous" tacos which we all wolfed down so fast that even the dogs didn't stand a chance and followed it with Ralphie's s'more's and........you guessed it, more beers. Perfect.

I don't know that I can really add to the great pics that have already been posted but here are a few that I took. Try to be patient with the Dober's, they're real camera hogs :mrgreen:

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:05 pm

BIG RALPHIE PEED HERE! :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Great pictures, Steve. Love the hounds! Can't wait to see everyone else's.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

THATSALEXUS?

Post by THATSALEXUS? » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:10 pm

FunJunkie wrote: Beautifil pics! we will be out there next weekend, You guys stopped at alot more neat places than we did last time. very cool!
I forgot to mention that we found your card in the mailbox, nobody had taken it yet ;)

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:37 pm

BorregoWrangler wrote:

Edit: I just noticed you had five no shows. :shock: I sure hope they all tried to get in touch with you, that's just not right. Who is driving the other FJ besides Ralphie, is that Bruised FJ? Anyway 6 rigs is perfect!
:D
Thanks, Scott! I sure did sleep well when I got home. The hitch worked out ok. 13 gallons of gas, 6 gallons of water and some firewood proved to be a bit too much for the bumper, though. The bolts were starting to pull out and stress the metal, so Adam (Lost Canyon) put 'em in the bed of his truck. What I really need is an overhead cargo rack.

Also, we actually had 7 rigs total for the trip. You'll just have to come along next time! :mrgreen:
I saw 6 in your first photo and posted up. 7 rigs is good.
Image_Image_Image

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:53 pm

THATSALEXUS? wrote:
I don't know that I can really add to the great pics that have already been posted but here are a few that I took. Try to be patient with the Dober's, they're real camera hogs :mrgreen:

Are you kidding Steve, those pictures are outstanding. Pic 3 of the dobers made me do a double take a second look, just classic. I didn't know dobers could drive.
Image_Image_Image

Return to “EXPEDITION RUN REPORTS”