Interior LED light upgrade

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Interior LED light upgrade

Post by DaveK » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:06 am

I have plenty of "console lights" on the rig but they are all incandescent and limited in their ability to be directed. Being incandescent, they naturally draw much more power than an LED. Recently, I was able to locate the perfect light for long trips. Hella, has introduced a marine grade LED with a 16 inch flexible arm.

The arm seems very stable and stays where it's positioned. The light is VERY bright and best of all it can be easily positioned for almost any in-cab need. It can be used by the passenger without part of the light shining in the drivers face. Stows easily, easy to mount and flat black.
IMG_0099 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0099 (Medium).JPG (73.75 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Stowed:
IMG_0095 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0095 (Medium).JPG (81.53 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
In Use:
IMG_0098 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0098 (Medium).JPG (73.77 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

sdnative

Re: Interior LED light upgrade

Post by sdnative » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:31 am

Very nice. I am going to get one of those soon, but I thought the LED version wasn't out yet? How is the LED when reading maps, papers, etc? The halogen seems more of a softer fuller light, and easier on the eyes. Then again, I dont have much experience with the new generation LEDs.

Is that a ICOM 7000? or 706?

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:27 am

sdnative wrote:Very nice. I am going to get one of those soon, but I thought the LED version wasn't out yet? How is the LED when reading maps, papers, etc? The halogen seems more of a softer fuller light, and easier on the eyes. Then again, I dont have much experience with the new generation LEDs.

Is that a ICOM 7000? or 706?
LEDs, for the most part part, produce a very white light compared to most lights, including incandescent. It does seem to take some time to adjust to the difference, but that seems to be because we have become accustomed to the incandescent lights for so long. For me, I now prefer the white lights mostly because they are so much brighter. I certainly doesn't hurt that they use a fraction of the power that the other lights use. Also, the white light seems to highlight and expose the details of maps, papers and the like, better.

Its an Icom IC7000.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:53 pm

From a strictly technical point of view, the color temperature of the white LED lights is closer to natural sunlight, and more in tune with the sensitivity of the human eye. So, depending on the quality and output of the particular LED lamp, it should help highlight details better as your eye adjusts to the color. Halogen lights tend to have more "depth" to them, so they can be better for illuminating objects at greater distances. Most LED systems (by that I mean systems affordable to the majority of us folks) don't work long distance well yet - but those lights are improving, too. For inside the cab of a vehicle, LEDs work very well, IMO...

Thanks for the review, DaveK... :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Damn... another mod to consider. :?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:12 am

OLLIE wrote:Damn... another mod to consider. :?
Never friggin' ends, huh?
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

Return to “Tech Corner”