Double-check my math please?

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Re: Double-check my math please?

Post by Chazz Layne » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Good idea, and I've got plenty of room where the radios are going. I think I'll set up the carputer this way too.

The inverter will see very little use, only for items I can't get (economically) in 12VDC.
Chazz Laynedotcom

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Double-check my math please?

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:The inverter will see very little use, only for items I can't get (economically) in 12VDC.
12v-120v inverters are very inefficient - as Frank said, anything you can get a direct 12v adapter for, you should. Charging rates are better, and less chance of damage from surges. For example, most laptops run on 5VDC; so, using the plug that comes with it, you'd be going from 5VDC to 120VAC to 12VDC - and a lot of loss at each change - very inefficient use of the car's battery, and a lot of extra cables/ connections laying around. Instead, use a 12VDC adapter designed for the computer (Lind makes good ones), and you go from 5VDC to 12VDC - much lower loss, much quicker charge rate, much less heat generation, and less chance of an equipment amaging high voltage surge. The money you don't spend on the inverter, heavy gauge wiring, and addtl storage batteries could be used to by good 12V adapters...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “Tech Corner”