Recovery Strap Holder

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Recovery Strap Holder

Post by DaveK » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:32 pm

I couldn't take the digging and searching in gear bags and under equipment for my recovery strap any more. Off Road Trail Tools just came out with a holder for straps and as it turned out, one of 'em had my name on it, see http://www.offroadtrailtools.com/shop/i ... tail&p=500.

Devilishly simple, lightweight, affordable and easy to mount. No more digging!
Attachments
IMG_0046 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0046 (Medium).JPG (51.6 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
IMG_0045 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0045 (Medium).JPG (61.95 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
IMG_0047 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0047 (Medium).JPG (52.07 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

gon2srf

Re: Recovery Strap Holder

Post by gon2srf » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Very cool.
Do you need to completely remove that wing-nut to access the strap? If so I would advise a redesign. They should slot the front panel and add a hinged bolt so you only have to loosen the nut and move the bolt aside for access. That wing-nut will disappear far too often IMO. Still, neat item thanks. :D
Image_Image_Image

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Hey Scott:

Yes, the wing nut must be removed to access the strap. Interesting comment, though. I suppose that by putting the nut on the stud when the strap is removed, it will lessen or eliminate the risk of losing it. The prospect of losing the wing nut, however, is far, far less objectionable than the ritual of digging for the strap. Maybe the parts drawer will have to carry a few extra wing nuts.
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:43 am

Interesting holder - I can see where it would be useful for some.

For me, however, it has a couple of issues. Scott's suggestion is excellent - redesigning the fastener would definitely help in quickly retrieving the strap without losing the wing nut in haste.

More important to me is that you'd have to spend a lot of time refolding the strap to reinstall it into the mount. If the strap is dirty, muddy, or wet, I wouldn't want to hang it out open in the vehicle. I have a Pelican box where I keep my straps and rescue equipment. This allows me to throw the stuff back in the box until I can take the time to clean it and re-roll it up properly - all without messing up the interior or anything else near the straps. Plus, I keep multiple straps in the vehicle - difficult to mount them all individually.

So, the mount looks good, and I think it will be useful to some, but I think having a enclosed box to throw the straps after using them, for me, is easier and neater.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:26 am

I just stretched a short bungee across the grocery bag hooks in the back of the FJ and put my straps there! 8-)
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:30 am

cruiserlarry wrote:Interesting holder - I can see where it would be useful for some.

For me, however, it has a couple of issues. Scott's suggestion is excellent - redesigning the fastener would definitely help in quickly retrieving the strap without losing the wing nut in haste.

More important to me is that you'd have to spend a lot of time refolding the strap to reinstall it into the mount. If the strap is dirty, muddy, or wet, I wouldn't want to hang it out open in the vehicle. I have a Pelican box where I keep my straps and rescue equipment. This allows me to throw the stuff back in the box until I can take the time to clean it and re-roll it up properly - all without messing up the interior or anything else near the straps. Plus, I keep multiple straps in the vehicle - difficult to mount them all individually.

So, the mount looks good, and I think it will be useful to some, but I think having a enclosed box to throw the straps after using them, for me, is easier and neater.

One of the things that you should have noticed in doing vehicle inspections is that many wheelers carry straps but they are buried in a maze of other equipment, are difficult to get to or in some cases, hidden so well that the drivers forgot where they were stashed. Having a strap securely located and easily accessible in a very visible location will be a benefit for most wheelers, not just "some".

Having another box, especially a Pelican, is just another large item to have to contend with when traveling. Experienced travelers do everything possible to simplify things and eliminate unnecessary stuff. Having the strap immediately available was the major purpose of this device and having to dig your strap out of a secured pelican case (hopefully you have it secured) defeats the benefit of having the strap mounted for easy access.

Dirty or muddy straps are a concern and the solutions are simple. A) mount the strap holder(s) on the outside of the vehicle on a tire carrier or rack or B) stuff it in a grocery bag or trash bag until you stop and clean it up. Throwing your wet and muddy strap into your recovery box just gets everything else wet and muddy.
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:00 pm

DaveK wrote: One of the things that you should have noticed in doing vehicle inspections is that many wheelers carry straps but they are buried in a maze of other equipment, are difficult to get to or in some cases, hidden so well that the drivers forgot where they were stashed. Having a strap securely located and easily accessible in a very visible location will be a benefit for most wheelers, not just "some".

Having another box, especially a Pelican, is just another large item to have to contend with when traveling. Experienced travelers do everything possible to simplify things and eliminate unnecessary stuff. Having the strap immediately available was the major purpose of this device and having to dig your strap out of a secured pelican case (hopefully you have it secured) defeats the benefit of having the strap mounted for easy access.

Dirty or muddy straps are a concern and the solutions are simple. A) mount the strap holder(s) on the outside of the vehicle on a tire carrier or rack or B) stuff it in a grocery bag or trash bag until you stop and clean it up. Throwing your wet and muddy strap into your recovery box just gets everything else wet and muddy.
Well, most wheelers I go out with are well organized, and have equipment ready when needed. The mount does make it convenient for one strap - assuming you mount the one you are likely to need. It doesn't lock, so theft is a problem if mounted externally. And I am an experienced traveler, which is why I use the Pelican cases to organize my gear. I have it color-coded, can load exactly which equipment I'll need for the particular outing, and can unload quickly when I'm home and tired. So, we differ in our idea of organized. As I previously stated, this mount should be very useful for some folks - but versatile enough not for me.

I'll check your's out next trip...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:10 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
DaveK wrote: One of the things that you should have noticed in doing vehicle inspections is that many wheelers carry straps but they are buried in a maze of other equipment, are difficult to get to or in some cases, hidden so well that the drivers forgot where they were stashed. Having a strap securely located and easily accessible in a very visible location will be a benefit for most wheelers, not just "some".

Well, most wheelers I go out with are well organized, and have equipment ready when needed. The mount does make it convenient for one strap - assuming you mount the one you are likely to need. It doesn't lock, so theft is a problem if mounted externally. And I am an experienced traveler, which is why I use the Pelican cases to organize my gear. I have it color-coded, can load exactly which equipment I'll need for the particular outing, and can unload quickly when I'm home and tired. So, we differ in our idea of organized. As I previously stated, this mount should be very useful for some folks - but versatile enough not for me.

I'll check your's out next trip...

The strap holder is made to accept a padlock. Mounting it externally is therefore an option.

We may not differ on the idea of organized. In fact, it is commendable that you are well organized. The point however is not organization, but convenience and accessibility.
DaveK
K6DTK

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:29 pm

You guys crack me up, are you sure your not brothers? :lol:
Image_Image_Image

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:46 pm

As always, we aim to please.

Actually we're twins, like Schwarzenegger and Devito. I'm Schwarzenegger.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “Tech Corner”