radio choice for Mojave.

Lets plan the early 2008 Mojave Preserve run here. This is not a sanctioned event. Just some freinds meeting on the Mojave Road.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: radio choice for Mojave.

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:14 am

big dave wrote:I have the CB radio thing handled. Ill also have 2 Motorola T9500XLR Talkabouts. Someone can borrow one if we all use FRS/GMRS as a secondary source.

I think whoever has a set of FRS/GMRS should bring them.
Make sure you bring spare batteries if they are not rechargeable units - otherwise they become paperweights after a day or so of consistent use...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:00 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
big dave wrote:I have the CB radio thing handled. Ill also have 2 Motorola T9500XLR Talkabouts. Someone can borrow one if we all use FRS/GMRS as a secondary source.

I think whoever has a set of FRS/GMRS should bring them.
Make sure you bring spare batteries if they are not rechargeable units - otherwise they become paperweights after a day or so of consistent use...
On the other hand the specialized rechargeable batteries also have a tendency to fail after a while so be certain to test them beforehand, and make sure they are up to the task. This does not mean turn it on say radio check and turn it off. Turn it on all day and make a few calls throughout the day. It is generally better to have a few packs of standard alkaline or lithium batteries in their package stashed in the vehicle somewhere.

The reason for the package is that especially with the lithium cells, they can generate a lot of heat when shorted.

Use rechargables for economy and convenience, and standard batteries for reliability.

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Great advice on the batteries, thanks! :)
Image_Image_Image

FunJunkie

Post by FunJunkie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Make sure you leave us a message in the sign in log at the flagpole, We will be there next weekend for the Viking raid. In full pseudo viking regalia :lol:.

Return to “2008 Mojave Preserve Run”