Mohave Preserve for Winter Run?

Lets plan the early 2008 Mojave Preserve run here. This is not a sanctioned event. Just some freinds meeting on the Mojave Road.
MuddyGrrl

Re: Mohave Preserve for WinterFest?

Post by MuddyGrrl » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:47 pm

I'd be happy to join this trip if we're still here. I'll keep in touch!

Keith has an interview (third one) in Bend on Wednesday. We will know soon whether we're moving soon. Otherwise we'll hold off until after the first of the year. I just lost my job Monday! Amylin laid off nearly 400 people and I'd only been there three months.
Back to the drawing board!!

M

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:35 pm

Maureen-

Don't be discouraged, it gets a little slow around here. I'm sure when a decision is made regarding the Mojave Trail run everyone will be happy to have you along. :D
Image_Image_Image

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:36 pm

gon2srf wrote:Maureen-

Don't be discouraged, it gets a little slow around here. I'm sure when a decision is made regarding the Mojave Trail run everyone will be happy to have you along. :D
I do hope that you and Keith will be happy if Oregon becomes your new home. :D :D
Image_Image_Image

THATSALEXUS?

Post by THATSALEXUS? » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Ollie (K6JYB) wrote:The BOD have a meeting next week on the 18th and how to handle this event .. ;)
Eagerly awaiting your findings :mrgreen:

Mc Jeep
Call Sign: KI6WNF

Post by Mc Jeep » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:21 pm

The Mc clan will be on the Mohave trail Thanksgiving weekend. Six riggs. I think I will be up for the winter fest. :D

BorregoWrangler

Re: Mohave Preserve for Winter Run?

Post by BorregoWrangler » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:14 pm

I've been researching this area for info and pics for a bit, just to get an idea. I'm sure nothing will compare however, with the actual run.

-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

SteveS
Call Sign: kf6ysb

Post by SteveS » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:25 pm

big dave wrote:[

Patton WW2 airstrip
35°17'12.32"N 115°11'41.09"W
I’d like to learn more about this landing strip. I’ve been to it, last July I was camped within about a mile of it. I was camped above the dam north of the Searchlight RR berm

My main hobby is desert history, and the little research I have, doesn’t show that landing strip connected to Patton, but I could be mistaken. If you’d like to share info about this landing strip PM me as your time permits.

I’m sure you know this, but some may not. This air strip is close to Barnwell, CA this is a old mining town with a colorful history, and one of it’s leading citizens was Virgil Earp.

Sorry about the ‘hi-jack’ but I wanted to post here incase other’s had Qs or info.

Thanks

gon2srf

Re: Mohave Preserve for Winter Run?

Post by gon2srf » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:53 pm

I would like to hear more about Barnwell when you have time sir. :)
Image_Image_Image

big dave

Post by big dave » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:56 pm

SteveS wrote:
big dave wrote:[

Patton WW2 airstrip
35°17'12.32"N 115°11'41.09"W
I’d like to learn more about this landing strip. I’ve been to it, last July I was camped within about a mile of it.

some random google earth user wrote:Built to support Patton's Camp Clipper. Now reused for local mining support. It most likely only had 1 runway during it's WW-II years, which would most likely be the long one. This strip was unusually far away from the camp, compared to the others, at 7 miles SW of here.
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

SteveS
Call Sign: kf6ysb

Post by SteveS » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:28 pm

[quote="big dave]
some random google earth user wrote:Built to support Patton's Camp Clipper. Now reused for local mining support. It most likely only had 1 runway during it's WW-II years, which would most likely be the long one. This strip was unusually far away from the camp, compared to the others, at 7 miles SW of here.
[/quote]

Wow thanks for the prompt reply.

Interesting, but only ½ true. Camp Clipper had an airfield. Yes it was an air field built and owned by the Hart mine. Also Camp Clipper is about 40 miles form this air field. It doesn’t show on 1970 USGS Topo Map. The last time I seem to recall seeing an airplane at field was in the 80’s.

Camp Clipper air field was/is at: 34.77N 115.22W (in air speak)

It is still there (but closed) and it was an interesting layout during and after the war.

THANKS for your info.

I picked up one of those Spot locator devices (you know the ‘FREE’ offer) and spent 3 days doing some Alpha testing in the Mojave. I’m sure many around here have them and there must be thread somewhere. Neat device.

I was not to far from the EQ epicenter Friday night, EQ’s are humbling to say the least. 8-)

Later guys. And thanks for allowing the ‘post hi-jack’ I try and refrain form doing that again.

Return to “2008 Mojave Preserve Run”