Mohave Preserve for Winter Run?

Lets plan the early 2008 Mojave Preserve run here. This is not a sanctioned event. Just some freinds meeting on the Mojave Road.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: Mohave Preserve for WinterFest?

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:34 pm

gon2srf wrote:This is a 3 day trail run with two nights camping in locations along the route. Let's pick a date and work on the route and particular stops within the thread. Are you interested?
Can't wait...but what about group size limitations ? I think setting up smaller groups, maybe with meeting points, would be better than one huge caravan. I thought there is a 7 vehicle limit (per group) and a permit needed to run the Mojave Road Trail ?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:01 pm

Larry-

I have spoken to the powers to be and have the names and phone numbers for the Mojave NPS, the Mojave Preserve Ranger and the BLM. There is a Mojave Preserve permit required by any group exceeding 7 vehicles or 15 people. I will handle the permit process myself. Based on the terminology used on the Mojave NPS website under the Commercial Use Authorization section I don't believe we fall under this category. However I suspect it will simplify the permit process, avoid the waivers and remove most concerns by the OAUSA board for future litigation if we enjoy this run as a group of friends and not under the OAUSA name. Since many of us belong to numerous forums this should not be a problem.

I would prefer to visit the preserve and run the Mojave Trail in smaller groups to avoid the pitfalls we all know come with traveling in large groups. Having the permit allows us to avoid any conflict with the park service should we choose to gather together during the day or camp together as one large group. The BLM has no group permit requirement but likes to be notified when large groups enter and exit their land so I will take care of that detail once a date is chosen.

Below is the Mojave NPS website link and the verbiage from the permit page.

http://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm

Permits

Special Park Recreation Use Permit
A Special Park Recreation Use Permit is required for some activities within Mojave National Preserve. A non-refundable application fee is required from all applicants, regardless of whether or not the permit is issued. There are two fee categories, depending on the nature of the proposed activity:

Groups of at least 7 vehicles or 15 participants for common recreational activities (rock climbing, hunting, fishing or trapping, equestrian use, bicycling, street-legal motorcycle or all-terrain vehicle use, backcountry use and roadside vehicle camping).
Application Fee: $5o

Special park use requests including but not limited to: weddings, sporting events, ceremonies/gatherings, entertainment, and public spectator attractions.
Application Fee: $70

Proof of insurance and posting of a bond may also be required. For more information, call (760) 252-6107 or e-mail us.

Filming and Photography Permit
A Filming/Commercial Photography Permit is required for any filming or photography involving the use of sets, props or models, requiring entry into a closed area, or requiring access to the park after normal working hours. There is a permit for short productions with minimal equipment and few people and one for longer, more involved ones.
Application Fee: $100

Proof of insurance and posting of a bond may also be required. For more information, call (760) 252-6107 or e-mail us.

Commercial Use Authorization
A Commercial Use Authorization is required for business activities(e.g. marketing, advertisement, negotiation of compensation with the customer or the solicitation or receipt of money or other compensation) that take place outside the Park and provide visitor services in the Park. Businesses included in this program are operations that provide any or all goods, activities, services, agreements or other things offered to the general public which take place at least in part in the park, uses park resources, and is undertaken for or results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit to an individual, organization, or corporation, whether or not such entity is organized for purposes recognized as non-profit under local, state or Federal law.
Application Fee: $100

For more information, call (760) 252-6107 or e-mail us.

Other Fees
In addition to the application fee, all special park uses are also associated with administrative processing fees and monitoring costs. The monitoring costs may vary accordingly with the activity in question.

Administrative Processing Fee: $155

Monitoring Costs: $50/hour, 2 hour minimum per even

Please let me know your thoughts.
Image_Image_Image

big dave

Post by big dave » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:46 pm

We can have several groups of 6 vehicles and 14 people. Thats all they have to know :lol:
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:17 pm

big dave wrote:We can have several groups of 6 vehicles and 14 people. Thats all they have to know :lol:

It's only $50.00 and allows us not to worry. I don't mind paying for it, I won't be paying for camping so it is the least I can do. Where are the mines located you plan to visit and how far from a viable campsite are they?
Image_Image_Image

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:30 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
gon2srf wrote:This is a 3 day trail run with two nights camping in locations along the route. Let's pick a date and work on the route and particular stops within the thread. Are you interested?
Can't wait...but what about group size limitations ? I think setting up smaller groups, maybe with meeting points, would be better than one huge caravan. I thought there is a 7 vehicle limit (per group) and a permit needed to run the Mojave Road Trail ?
BTW, does this mean you are in and if so did you vote on a date yet? :D
Image_Image_Image

big dave

Post by big dave » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 pm

gon2srf wrote:
big dave wrote:We can have several groups of 6 vehicles and 14 people. Thats all they have to know :lol:
Where are the mines located you plan to visit and how far from a viable campsite are they?
The mines i have in mind are listed below in bold. There are some other cool things to see, as well as mid hills campground on the list. Hole in the Rock campground is a little south of Mid Hills.

Mid-Hill Campground
35° 7'49.53"N 115°26'2.06"W

Here are the locations we have available to us. Keep in mind that theres a lot more in the area, i just picked some kick ass places right off the bat.

Aiken Mine and Lava tube (actual ladder going down into lava tube)
35°13'53.52"N 115°43'35.77"W

Evening Star mine
35°21'36.95"N 115°32'31.20"W

Morning Star Mine
35°20'48.26"N 115°29'53.94"W

Goldome Mine
35°19'4.42"N 115°16'0.15"W

Hart Mine
35°16'58.15"N 115° 6'18.21"W

Barnwell Well
35°17'26.81"N 115°13'45.36"W

Patton WW2 airstrip
35°17'12.32"N 115°11'41.09"W

Fort Piute
35° 6'54.13"N 114°59'7.98"W

Bonanza King
34°58'55.89"N 115°30'22.00"W

Mitchell Caverns
34°56'28.80"N 115°30'51.76"W

Vulcan Mine
34°55'24.13"N 115°33'59.59"W

Rex Mine
34°58'23.07"N 115°36'54.12"W

Kelso Depot
35° 0'38.64"N 115°39'36.53"W
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

big dave

Post by big dave » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Going up to Bonanza King mine.

'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:01 pm

The BOD have a meeting next week on the 18th and how to handle this event or if this is something to consider as a fest event is going to be someting that will be tabled at that time. We will post up after the meeting how to approach this Mojave Preserve Run. I am not saying the run isn't going to happen just that it may not be held under the premise of a fest event. Please stay tuned... ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Oh yeah! I've been wanting to run this trail for a while now. I'll just have to plan ahead to make sure we can make it. We're gonna be moving here in a month or so.

Looking at the area in one of my trail books it looks like there's quite a few side-trails, such as New York Mountains trail, Macedonia Canyon trail, Nipton Desert trail and Cima Dome trail, just to name a few. Maybe big dave has more insight into this, though.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:39 pm

If the logistics/legalities of doing a Mojave Road trip for Winterfest becomes too much of a problem there is always Death Valley.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

Return to “2008 Mojave Preserve Run”