Mojave Road Preparation.

Lets plan the early 2008 Mojave Preserve run here. This is not a sanctioned event. Just some freinds meeting on the Mojave Road.
BorregoWrangler

Mojave Road Preparation.

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:25 pm

So I need to be able to carry all my gear including extra gas cans in my Jeep. Well, I do have a cargo rack that slides into the receiver hitch, but I'm afarid it hangs down too low. Its great for taking stuff camping but not for wheelin'. Like this picture shows...

So what I did was weld up another hitch that sets up higher. Still got add another support and paint it. Now I won't have any issues with my cargo rack sitting too low to the ground on our Mojave trip! :D

-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Re: Mojave Road Preparation.

Post by BlueFJ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:43 pm

Nice, John! Do you have your own welder?
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

big dave

Post by big dave » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:46 pm

John what a coincidence. Im dealing with that same thing right now for Mojave. I want a reciever rack for my 2-5 gallon gas cans. I was thinking about finding a used one and just extending the height, and welding a 2 handles on it so i can slide the whole rack out so my rear hatch can open. Keep the pics coming.
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:01 pm

BlueFJ wrote:Nice, John! Do you have your own welder?
It belongs to my brother-in-law. He helped me out.
big dave wrote:John what a coincidence. Im dealing with that same thing right now for Mojave. I want a reciever rack for my 2-5 gallon gas cans. I was thinking about finding a used one and just extending the height, and welding a 2 handles on it so i can slide the whole rack out so my rear hatch can open. Keep the pics coming.
That sounds like it'll work. I'll post up again when its finished.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 pm

When I was a Wildlife Conservation Officer (Game Warden), one of our duties was to pick up deer killed on the road by cars. Many times we had to dispatch the deer. In that case if there was good meat, we had a list of needy people where we could drop the deer off. Other times, the deer might have been there a week - bloated and full of maggots. If the meat was unusable, we took it to a rendering plant in the county. At the time, there were no bumper type racks on the market and we all made our own. The goal was to keep all that mess outside the vehicle and not have to lift it too high. I started with a rack that was level with the hitch. Later, when I started using as a "gear" rack instead as a 'deer" rack I added the lift to make it level with the tail gate. I also added the wood platform for gear. For deer there is just a few cross bars under the wood you can not see. After dropping off the deer, I could spray it down just a few bars. When there is nothing on the rack, I can open the tail gate without removing the rack. So far I have not had a problem with leverage and have not braced it.
BTW - in the spring we were each give a quota by the biologists to collect the lower right jaw bone of 6 to 8 road killed does and send it in. Part of the information we had to send was the number of unborn fawns the doe was carrying and the sex of each. I never had any feedback on any finding from the biologists.
Attachments
DSC02573.jpg
DSC02573.jpg (437.84 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
DSC02575.jpg
DSC02575.jpg (356.59 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

gon2srf

Post by gon2srf » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:23 pm

toms wrote:When I was a Wildlife Conservation Officer (Game Warden), one of our duties was to pick up deer killed on the road by cars. Many times we had to dispatch the deer. In that case if there was good meat, we had a list of needy people where we could drop the deer off. Other times, the deer might have been there a week - bloated and full of maggots. If the meat was unusable, we took it to a rendering plant in the county. At the time, there were no bumper type racks on the market and we all made our own. The goal was to keep all that mess outside the vehicle and not have to lift it too high. I started with a rack that was level with the hitch. Later, when I started using as a "gear" rack instead as a 'deer" rack I added the lift to make it level with the tail gate. I also added the wood platform for gear. For deer there is just a few cross bars under the wood you can not see. After dropping off the deer, I could spray it down just a few bars. When there is nothing on the rack, I can open the tail gate without removing the rack. So far I have not had a problem with leverage and have not braced it.
BTW - in the spring we were each give a quota by the biologists to collect the lower right jaw bone of 6 to 8 road killed does and send it in. Part of the information we had to send was the number of unborn fawns the doe was carrying and the sex of each. I never had any feedback on any finding from the biologists.
Wow Tom kinda graphic! :lol: Hope you had a mask for the week olds, I woulda puked for sure. :oops:
Image_Image_Image

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:58 am

I carried plastic gloves!!!
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Before:

After:

-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

big dave

Post by big dave » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 pm

Perhaps you can weld a triangular piece of metal on the inside of that first bend, just like the top. I see a possibility of bending or cracking without it. Nice work man!
'90 Pathfinder
'99 Expedition

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:33 pm

big dave wrote:Perhaps you can weld a triangular piece of metal on the inside of that first bend, just like the top. I see a possibility of bending or cracking without it. Nice work man!
Thanks. I'll weld the other piece on later today after work and paint it.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

Return to “2008 Mojave Preserve Run”