New guy from portland

When you join, please say hello and introduce yourself here.
KI7NAI
Call Sign: KI7NAI

New guy from portland

Post by KI7NAI » Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am

I just received my technicians license, but I have listened to the net the last two weeks and I am hooked! I have always enjoyed the outdoors, hiking, camping, fishing and generally exploring the outdoors.

My current rig is a GMC Safari RWD affectionately named Van-o-Saurus Rex. Right now it is stock, but it was outfitted at the factory with a g80 locker so it is slightly more capable off road than a Nissan Sentra. Time and funds allowing I would like to install a 2" lift kit, larger all terrain tires and a winch bumper. I have never owned a vehicle with 4wd but I have gotten myself into some places that are supposed to only be possible in high clearance vehicles.

My radio gear is a as modest as my off road vehicle at this point, I have a Baofeng UV-82c hand held, I just built a 2m groundplane antenna and I am anxious to participate in upcoming nets.

I have been researching some of the backcountry discovery routes as well as other overland routes, I'd really like to attempt an overland trip in the next couple years. At some point I would like to explore the Mojave road having grown up in the mojave desert, I have a certain fondness for the desert, especially the history of the mojave desert.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: New guy from portland

Post by DaveK » Tue May 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Hey Dan

Welcome to Outdoor Adventure USA!!!

Congratulations on getting your ticket. We're very glad that you are enjoying the nets. Which Repeater serves your area?

There are a lot of great trail and sights to enjoy in the Pacific Northwest and we would like to hear about them. Please feel free to post your adventures. By the way, we will be doing a net in the upcoming weeks about some of the upgrades that will increase your rigs capabilities. Join us!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KI7NAI
Call Sign: KI7NAI

Re: New guy from portland

Post by KI7NAI » Tue May 02, 2017 6:51 pm

I have been listening to the net on th W7RAT repeater at 440.400.

Agreed there are plenty of great places to visit in the Pacific Northwest, I only wish snow melted a few months earlier in the higher elevations, a couple of my favorite places to camp are only accessible to me in late summer and early fall.

I'll be looking forward to sharing some ideas about what I can do to improve the capability of my vehicle.

Return to “NEW MEMBER CHECK-IN”