New member from Lancaster

When you join, please say hello and introduce yourself here.
KN6FPS
Call Sign: KN6FPS

New member from Lancaster

Post by KN6FPS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:44 pm

Hi, I'm David, from Lancaster, CA. I don't have an off road vehicle myself, but I've been on a few OAUSA and Tom's runs with Bruce NotAMog KD6GCO. My lack of depth perception is a big handicap when it comes to off road driving in technical areas. I might be able to go up to a 3, without too much problem.
I just got my ham license, did both the Tech and General tests at the same time, on Nov 12. My goal is to create a go box and easy to set up antenna for summit contacts on runs. So far, I have a Yaesu FT-991A and sources for some good rack mount type enclosures that have removable front and back. I'm looking for ideas on antennas for both home and on the road. I think would be fun to see where you can reach from some of the peaks we end up on.
I hope to see you on the trail and on the air.
73's.
DavidH
KN6FPS

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Re: New member from Lancaster

Post by NotAMog » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:00 pm

David,

Welcome to OAUSA. Hopefully you'll soon have an antenna installed at your house so you can participate in the nets. In the meantime, there is always Echolink on your phone or computer.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:00 pm

David

Welcome to Outdoor Adventure USA!!!

Congratulations on getting two licenses at once.

We did a net on Summits on the Air (SOTA) a few months back (the net preview can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=4249.) Currently we are planning on doing another net on summits in August of 2020. Your input would be welcome. We also are planning on a mobile Ham radio antenna net in March of 2020. Be sure and check our net schedule.

And, incidentally, your contribution for our Christmas gifts net was very well received. Hopefully, you will be able to join us in the future.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

KK6GFF
Call Sign: KK6GFF

Post by KK6GFF » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi David,

I'm not much on the nets these days but sometimes I log in here to see what everyone is doing.

April 2019 I bought an Alpha Antenna DX, which is extremely light and powerful. Earlier versions were very heavy.

https://alphaantenna.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=101

Then after trying a True Ladder Line antenna on Field Day I decided to buy one. So I'm selling the Alpha Antenna antenna for $600. I used it 3 times, one time camping up in Big Bear, the other time testing for Field Day, and the third time on Field Day. It is very fast to set up and you get on the air in no time. Let me know if you'd like to see it, I'm in LA. In no ways it compares to a True Ladder Line, but this is as good as it can get for the size and portability. It also comes with a canvas carrying bag.

This is the right group to answer your questions, as everyone in here is in the same quest and has tried things.

Roger
Roger WZ6B
2014 JKUR

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:39 am

Welcome to the OAUSA forum, David !!

This is definitely a great place for amateur radio enthusiasts who love the outdoors. Lots of folks here with different areas of expertise, so if you have questions, post them up. We also like to take advantage of any advice and experience you would like to share as well.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Hmfigueroa
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: Ke6vrl

Post by Hmfigueroa » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:32 am

David,

I hope you are enjoying OAUSA, we have a great group of like-minded people who are here to help. The FT-991A is a great radio that sounds great. You made a very good choice.

Welcome,

Hector
Hector Figueroa
Toyota FJC
Kenwood TS-480HX SCS DR-7800 Tarheel 2
Yaesu FTM-400XDR

KN6FPS
Call Sign: KN6FPS

Post by KN6FPS » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:09 pm

Roger,

That seems like the type of antenna that I'm interested in for field use. I was also looking at the Scorpion Dipole, cook and techie, certainly easy to use. Pretty heavy at over 40 lbs. The CrankIR is another candidate, but it requires you to go to the antenna each time you want to change bands. It isn't quite as fast to set up. I like the Alpha for its quick setup and use. How was it for distant contacts?
DavidH
KN6FPS

Return to “NEW MEMBER CHECK-IN”