APRS

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

APRS

Post by DaveK » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 am

The purpose of this thread will be to equip and coordinate as many of the Parashant crew as possible to use APRS. APRS will allow those running the program to visually locate each participant on a map, with position and bearing information.

In general terms the following equipment will be necessary:
  • 1. Ham radio with packet capability.
    2. PC (to view relative position of the group participants)
    3. Mapping program compatible with APRS
    4. Terminal node connector (assuming that you are not running a radio that has it built in)
The participants, at this point are:

Hector
Larry
Dave
Tom
Frank
Bob

Both Hector and Frank can assist with questions. Please post up if you want to participate.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Re: APRS

Post by toms » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:18 am

Dave,
My current plan is to make the trip and to install APRS by then. Will we be swinging by Toroweep?
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:39 am

toms wrote:Dave,
My current plan is to make the trip and to install APRS by then. Will we be swinging by Toroweep?

Hey Tom:

Very pleased that you will be making it. Exact travel plans have not been finalized yet, but Toroweep needs to be visited.
DaveK
K6DTK

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:41 pm

I plan to have my APRS system fully functional. On my previous set up I was lacking the serial cable between the computer and the TMD-700 to display real time maps due to a clearance issue on the computer. I have a new computer ready to install in the console and the serial connection won't be an issue. It should be an interesting test with everyone is running APRS.

I had a useful experience with APRS last weekend when I was running my truck down to have the rear rack fabricated and installed. I was running APRS coming from Tehachapi and a friend of mine traveling my brother coming from Lancaster was accessing OpenAPRS on his iPhone on the way down. They were able to monitor my position the whole way and we arrived within a minute of each other at our destination. OpenAPRS even has a special iPhone optimized web page.

My brother and I had 2m radios but he only had a low power hand held with a rubber duck antenna so we were only able to communicate for a short time while we were on converging paths through the eastern end of the Antelope Valley. Once they crested the pass on 138 we lost voice contact but the APRS was still reporting my position. I thought that was pretty cool plus it shows how non-ham spouses and friends can monitor your position from any place that has some form of Internet connectivity.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:53 pm

NOTICE

For those going on the Parashant trip and anyone else who is interested in setting up APRS, we will be having the first of a few meetings to help us set up up our systems to be fully functional by the time the trip rolls around. We will be meeting next Wednesday, February 25, 2009 in the Arcadia - Rosemead - Pasadena - area. We have planned to meet at 7:30 PM.

We need to identify a location where we can both meet to talk and have an area to view the vehicles. Any one with a suggestion as to a location, please speak up.

All are welcome. Bring your equipment and tech info for everyone to view.
DaveK
K6DTK

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:31 am

I'll try to attend, but there's no way for me to be there before approx 8:00-8:15pm...so, I'll have to see what location is decided on, and see what happens... ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:06 am

cruiserlarry wrote:I'll try to attend, but there's no way for me to be there before approx 8:00-8:15pm...so, I'll have to see what location is decided on, and see what happens... ;)
We'll drag our feet till you arrive - don't worry. Just be forewarned - Some of the appetizers may be gone!
DaveK
K6DTK

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:00 am

I will attend - let me know where when you decide.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:51 pm

DaveK wrote:We'll drag our feet till you arrive - don't worry. Just be forewarned - Some of the appetizers may be gone!
No problem for me...but could be a problem for everyone else :twisted: :o :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:33 pm

I won't be able to make it. That's a bit to far to run on a week night when I have to get up and go to work the next morning. :cry:
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

Return to “Parashant National Monument 2009”