APRS

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
hmfigueroa

Re: APRS

Post by hmfigueroa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:29 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:Hector -

I was checking out UI View 32 tonight on my way home, and saw you driving near Covina... very cool...

Is there a way for me to send a message to you, or to any other stations I want to contact ?
Sorry this was the first chance I had to really sit down and type.

In order to beacon automatically go to the Setup, Station Setup, menu item
uiviewcommsset.png
Ui-View 32 settings
uiviewcommsset.png (206.02 KiB) Viewed 3142 times

Ensure the Unproto path is APRS,WIDE1-1 or APRS,WIDE2-2 For southern california area these paths will ensure you get to an Igate which will allow your information to get to the Internet APRS infrastructure that will do a lot for you. Remember to keep paths as short as possible. I generally run APRS,WIDE1-1. In your beacon comment you can put in your Name or any other information you may want, Again you want to be short and descriptive.

In the Beacon Intervals going left to right, the first box is your standard beacon rate it should be more than 30 and I think that 60 or even 120 would be better.

The next box is your Mobile rate, this is the rate used when valid GPS data is being received. Try to stay away from an excessive beacon rate especially of you are going slow. 1 -2 minutes is fine for testing and learning, but that rate would be frowned upon. Ideally a rate of greater than 3 minutes is much preferred on this limited resource. 10-15 minutes even better.

The third box is your distance beacon, this will transmit if you position has changed more than the value of the mileage you type in the box.if set to three miles it would transmit a new location if it is more than three miles as the crow flies from your previous position transmitted.

If you press the F1 key it will give you context sensitive help for the menu you are adjusting. Here are some of the more relevant items related to this discussion.
Unproto address - the unproto address used for your beacons. It consists of a destination address and optional digipeaters. The default is a destination address of "APRS" and no digipeaters. If you want to include digipeaters, then use commas as separators. E.g. "APRS,RELAY,WIDE" will send your beacon to APRS via RELAY and WIDE. See UI-View32 Destination Address for information about how UI-View32 regards "APRS" as a special address.

If "Unproto address" is left blank, then it will be defaulted to "APRS".

Beacon comment - The comment text at the end of your station beacon. NOTE - if longitude and latitude are left blank, then the beacon consist only of the comment. This allows you to send an APRS compatible locator beacon by putting the locator in the comment in an APRS compatible format. E.g. ">IO92XX/- Roger in Boston", or "[IO92XX] Roger in Boston". Please don't make the comment too long! UI-View32 will warn you if the comment exceeds the 43 characters allowed in the APRS specification.

Add Ui-View Tag - If this box is checked, then a tag showing that you are using UI-View(32), and what version you are using, is appended to your beacon. The format of the tag ie e.g. {UIV32}. The numbers will change according to the version. UI-View32 identifies stations that send the tag by marking them with a '+' in the Station List, and using different colours for their callsign labels. Don't turn off this option unless you have a good reason, because other users' UI-View(32) systems use the tag as a way of telling that you are using UI-View(32).

Beacon interval (Fixed) - The interval in minutes at which your station beacon is transmitted. An interval of "0" disables the beacon. DON'T set an interval that is unnecessarily short! 30 minutes should be ok for most uses.

Beacon interval (Mobile) - if you have a GPS attached to UI-View32 - see Using A GPS - then UI-View32 will automatically go into mobile mode when it detects valid GPS data. The frequency of the mobile beacon is determined as follows:-

· The interval between beacons is never greater than the value put into the minutes box. (Putting '0' disables the mobile beacon.)

· If the miles/km box contains a value other than '0', then UI-View32 constantly calculates the distance travelled since the last beacon, and sends a beacon when the specified distance has been covered. This means that your beacon frequency will automatically vary according to your speed.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:11 am

Thanks again, Hector, for the information. I started playing with the setup menu, but did not know which unproto path to use so this will help.

As always, your expertise is greatly appreciated... ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:26 am

I totally did not answer the messaging question with that last post, man I went on a tangent.

You can right click on the station Icon and then click send message. This will open the message dialog box.

You can also open the message dialog to send a message by clicking on the message menu item or the message icon in the toolbar.

Message Dialog Box
uiviewmessage.png
UI-View 32 Message Dialog Box
uiviewmessage.png (184.84 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
Down at the bottom of the message dialog box
[listitem]TO Type the callsign and ssid of the station you want to message[/listitem]
[listitem]PORT This box will in most cases not be used unless you have a wazoo multiport system, and inf that is the case I am the wrong person for this[/listitem] [listitem]Digi information if it is needed to route your message to a very distant station.[/listitem] I think you can double click it to auto-fill it but I am not certain on that.
[listitem]TH-D7 is used if you are sending a message that will be recieved by someone using a Kewnood HT It is used for format the message to fit the screen[/listitem]
[listitem]TEXT, Type in the message you want to send[/listitem]
[listitem]Name This only serves as a reminder of the name associated with the callsign entered. It is stored and will be displayed the next time you use the callsign[/listitem]

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks for the info, Hector....UI-View 32 does have excellent help information, but it is always nice to hear it from someone who actually uses the program... :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 pm

hmfigueroa wrote:You can right click on the station Icon and then click send message. This will open the message dialog box.

You can also open the message dialog to send a message by clicking on the message menu item or the message icon in the toolbar.

Sorry, but how do you actually "send" the message ? The rest I understand, but how do you initiate the transmission ? TIA

W6LPB / WPOK492

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:56 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
hmfigueroa wrote:You can right click on the station Icon and then click send message. This will open the message dialog box.

Sorry, but how do you actually "send" the message ? The rest I understand, but how do you initiate the transmission ? TIA
After you fill in the actual text, just hit enter and it will begin transmitting.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:11 am

Hector -

I figured out how to save maps from Streets and Trips as screen shots using the lat/lon upper left / lower right method you had mentioned at our meeting. Works great, and it allows me to make static maps of areas using software I already have.

W6LPB / WPOK492

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:13 pm

The following site has some interesting information on APRS. While they are not exactly doing our "land adventure" thing, the information is interesting and helps make some sense out of this whole process. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/f ... une=&f=104 .

See also: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ajmckinnon/

See also: http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

RedDavid
Call Sign: W6DAF

Post by RedDavid » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Seems I missed this whole thread and the meeting. I went ahead and figure out most of the APRS stuff without pulling out much hair. I have no desire to carry a computer so the goal is to do everything through the Kenwood D700 with a Garmin GPS. The only piece left is sending from my PC via WINLink to my radio. I've been able to send from email to Winlink and view the messages on their website but trying to get the message to the radio is a PITA. I understand the concept, it's much like POP3 over the airwaves. Give me a list of messages, fetch message #1. Should be easy but no luck so far. I've sent from the radio to my email account, just not the opposite direction. I even setup a simple website for my wife so she can see where I'm at when I go off wandering around (ham.dfairchild.com). The last piece of the puzzle is the email (then on to beaconing off ISS or Sats for true email anywhere).

When is the next "meeting" if there is one. I'd like to see what everybody else has going.

dave.

KI6VEO
Red Rock Jeep JK
W6DAF

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:51 am

RedDavid wrote:Seems I missed this whole thread and the meeting. I went ahead and figure out most of the APRS stuff without pulling out much hair. I have no desire to carry a computer so the goal is to do everything through the Kenwood D700 with a Garmin GPS. The only piece left is sending from my PC via WINLink to my radio. I've been able to send from email to Winlink and view the messages on their website but trying to get the message to the radio is a PITA. I understand the concept, it's much like POP3 over the airwaves. Give me a list of messages, fetch message #1. Should be easy but no luck so far. I've sent from the radio to my email account, just not the opposite direction. I even setup a simple website for my wife so she can see where I'm at when I go off wandering around (ham.dfairchild.com). The last piece of the puzzle is the email (then on to beaconing off ISS or Sats for true email anywhere).

When is the next "meeting" if there is one. I'd like to see what everybody else has going.

dave.

KI6VEO
Dave:

We will be having a follow up meeting in the next week or so. I will post the information here on this thread regarding the date, time and location. Hector can help you with your messaging issues. Look forward to having you join us.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “Parashant National Monument 2009”