APRS

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
diverbob
Call Sign: KF7BVA

Re: APRS

Post by diverbob » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Just ordered the hardware componets for my APRS setup,should have it by the end of the week. I will install it over the weekend and download the software. I may need Hector's assistance in getting it configured. I ordered the parts from byonics we have exchanged e-mails for the past few days, and they tell me I should have everything required
with the exception of the software. I will download the UI-View32 and see if I can get it up and running.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:19 pm

I discovered a bit of a quirk in the way that my Yaesu 8800 functions while using APRS. The 8800 is a dual band transceiver and has the ability to do packet. It has a data port on the rear panel of the radio which serves to communicate with the necessary other hardware, including the computer. So far, so good.

As a dual band transceiver, it is capable of vhf/uhf, vhf/vhf, etc. Selecting either the right or the left band makes that band the "main" band and the one on which you can transmit. Both bands are still in the receive mode regardless of which band is "main". Still good.

The 8800 has a setting that allows a selection of which band on which the unit will receive APRS data, either left, right or main. Transmission of packet however, is fixed on the main band. So this means that in order to use this radio for APRS on one side and voice communications on the other, I must manually switch back and forth between voice communication and APRS transmission. Keeping the voice communications side as the "main" band during long conversations or forgetting that I have it set that way means that my position data will not be sent to the other units. In fact, what will happen is there will be periodic packet bursts on the voice communications frequency as this will have been selected as the main band.

Other than learning to live with it, any thoughts?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:30 pm

Wow Dave, that is strange.

On the Yaseu radios I have used with a data port, I could choose with a menu setting the data port. Data was only sent to that specific port regardless of what other mode or configuration of the other side.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:50 pm

hmfigueroa wrote:Wow Dave, that is strange.

On the Yaseu radios I have used with a data port, I could choose with a menu setting the data port. Data was only sent to that specific port regardless of what other mode or configuration of the other side.

Hector:

I'll look to see if there are any setting which will help but in the one conversation I had with Yaesu tech support, they offered no help.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Finally. All of the pieces have come together and it works just like it's supposed to. The system consists of a Garmin 276C, a Yaesu 8800, a ruggedized laptop, and the Signal Link USB. The software consist of AGW Packet Engine Pro and AGW Tracker.

In this setup, the Signal Link serves as a TNC through the AGW Pro. The benefit of the Signal Link is that simplifies the wiring necessary to make the system work. It does not require a separate power source as it receives its power from the USB cable. Both transmit and recieve levels can be set from the front of the unit as can the the transmit delay. The unit comes complete with ALL cables, fully assembled and compatible with whatever radio you have.

One of the areas where the Signal link shines, is technical support. I speak from personal experience - they know how to help to make sure that their product works and that it is set up properly. The installation was quick and easy.

The part of APRS that is, by far, the most difficult, is choosing the right settings on all the the various components of the system. I have yet to run into a hobby (or whatever this is called) that suffers from such a deplorable lack of information on how to correctly set up your system. There is literally nothing anywhere (in written form) that you can turn to help set up a functioning APRS system.

In my case, this problem was solved with 2 phone calls to Hector (KG6VRL). I cannot thank Hector enough for his help and knowledge.
Attachments
IMG_0209 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0209 (Medium).JPG (107.11 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
IMG_0205 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0205 (Medium).JPG (85.55 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
DaveK
K6DTK

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:11 pm

DaveK wrote:So this means that in order to use this radio for APRS on one side and voice communications on the other, I must manually switch back and forth between voice communication and APRS transmission. Keeping the voice communications side as the "main" band during long conversations or forgetting that I have it set that way means that my position data will not be sent to the other units. In fact, what will happen is there will be periodic packet bursts on the voice communications frequency as this will have been selected as the main band.
I've never used a Yeasu, but on Kenwood dual band mobiles, there is a way to have a "Control" band selection. This way you could have one band selected, but the one under "Control" would be used with your Mic.

I'm sure there is some way to configure it so no manual configuration is needed.
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:55 pm

unwiredadventures wrote:
DaveK wrote:So this means that in order to use this radio for APRS on one side and voice communications on the other, I must manually switch back and forth between voice communication and APRS transmission. Keeping the voice communications side as the "main" band during long conversations or forgetting that I have it set that way means that my position data will not be sent to the other units. In fact, what will happen is there will be periodic packet bursts on the voice communications frequency as this will have been selected as the main band.
I've never used a Yeasu, but on Kenwood dual band mobiles, there is a way to have a "Control" band selection. This way you could have one band selected, but the one under "Control" would be used with your Mic.

I'm sure there is some way to configure it so no manual configuration is needed.

I've had two separate conversations with Yaesu techs, both of whom have told me it's not possible. If you know some way to hack into the radio to avoid the manual switching, let me know. I guess that I can handle the manual switching but its quite a pain and I might just forget.
DaveK
K6DTK

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:02 am

DaveK wrote:I've had two separate conversations with Yaesu techs, both of whom have told me it's not possible. If you know some way to hack into the radio to avoid the manual switching, let me know. I guess that I can handle the manual switching but its quite a pain and I might just forget.
Why dont you just get a cheap dedicated 2m rig like the FT-1802 for APRS. Set it and forget it. Plus, it would be a good backup radio if your main failed.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Hector, Bob, Tom:

Can we coordinate on building some good overlay maps for our expected routes? (using NG Topo!, of course)
DaveK
K6DTK

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:10 pm

I spoke with Ollie, and Tom today. We will try and coordinate getting him hooked up Saturday.

Return to “Parashant National Monument 2009”