Parashant trip food/meal planning

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
diverbob
Call Sign: KF7BVA

Parashant trip food/meal planning

Post by diverbob » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:23 am

I spoke with Dave K. last night and we discussed briefley ideas for the menu on the camping trip.
I have had the pleasure of camping with Dave in the past and the menu for that trip was very close to five star.
We would like to improve on that if possible,that said we would like input from everyone going as to
their ideas and suggestions for meals. Plus if anyone has suggestions on how to divide up the cost and method to
share in getting the food items to the camp site. I volunteered to take on the task of chief cook, but of course everyone is welcome to participate. A gourmet dinner with of course the correct wine will be the main meal, and
breakfast should be hearty and robust.
So we would like:

Menu suggestions :idea: :idea:
Any special diet restrictions :?:
Anything else that will make this an event to remember.

Bob C.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Parashant trip food/meal planning

Post by DaveK » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:29 am

Bob:

I'll volunteer for the following three dinners - or one or two, your choice:

1. flank steak, baked potatoes, salad
2. chicken en adobo (pressure cooker)
3. beef stroganoff, biscuits, salad.

A thought - after you assign meals, the head chef can be responsible for purchasing everything necessary for that meal.

I've camped with Bob, and it is a real privilege to have him as a chef.

No dinner would be complete without Tom's DO desserts. If he can master the triple chocolate cake recipe, we're set!

Thanks, Bob.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:51 pm

I can do a Dutch Oven chicken and rice one night.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:01 pm

toms wrote:I can do a Dutch Oven chicken and rice one night.

Great! What about the second night? What about dessert? Where did lasagna go?
DaveK
K6DTK

diverbob
Call Sign: KF7BVA

Post by diverbob » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:06 am

The following is some ideas for the meals:

Spaghetti w//meatballs and Marinara sauce
French or sour dough bread

Steaks
baked potatoes
Salad w/dressing

Hambugers w/ cheese
Rolls,lettuce,tomato,
Baked beans

Chicken salad wrap
Tortillas
Lettuce, tomatoe

Grilled cheese sandwiches
Ham
Raw celery,carrots w/ dipping sauce

French toast w/sugar,cinnamon,whip cream
Mixed fruit

Chiliburgers
W/onions,cheese,sauce

Corned beef hash
Eggs
Hash brown potatoes

Egg omlet w/ cheese,bacon,avacado,
Breakfast tortilla

Biscuits and gravy

Orange juice
Coffee

The above items can be moved around in the menu.

We need to know how many people will be on the trip to insure we have enough food to feed everyone.
If we could firm up the menu and determine the quantities we will need to insure we have enough.
I would like to divide up the task of getting the food items, so everyone could share, Idon't have room to pack all the food and my gear in my vehicle.

That said after the menu is finalized and we determine the amounts, we can proceed from there.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 am

This sounds like my kind of trip! I've been doing an annual trip with friends for many years and for awhile we had an informal competition going on to see who could fix the most elaborate meals while camping. We've backed off in recent years after it got to the point were the camp cook for the evening was spending most of the day preparing food. Actually, one of the best meals I've had camping was also one of the simplest. Last year at TDS while camping with another Pinzgauer owner we had a dinner that consisted of thin strips of meat cut from a marinated chuck roast cooked on skewers over the campfire.

For breakfast I have a scratch buttermilk pancake recipe I've used for camping that goes over well and is easy to do. I can also bring sourdough starter for sourdough pancakes. I have both white and whole wheat starters. The sourdough pancakes are an acquired taste. Omelets are also a quick and relatively easy.

For dinner I was thinking of doing a chicken pasta primavera with salad one night.

Does a cast iron fondue pot count as dutch oven cooking? :D I could bring my fondue pot and do a cheese fondue one evening. Fondue can be a fun and different meal while camping and it's simple to make. The only problem is that we might want lots of salad to go with it and the whole wheat sourdough pancakes for breakfast the next morning to keep all that cheese moving. :mrgreen:

If we're going to be base camping I could a lasagna in the solar oven but we'd have to plan on having dinner around 5:00PM.

If anyone has something that needs to stay frozen we can coordinate on refrigerators using at least one as a freezer. Both Tom and I have Engels. It can be good to have one as a freezer for any frozen food and to rotate blue ice through it to keep things like salad and veggies cool in an ice chest without taking up room in a refrigerator.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:12 am

I imagine I will be the weak link in the food department. I can handle the BBQ, soups, grilled cheese, salad, etc. My other issue is I don't have a refrigerator/freezer.

Most likely I will use a cooler, or I can carry dry/unrefrigerated supplies.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 pm

I have a 47 quart Fridge Freeze refrigerator. I think that makes three of us who have the capability to keep things frozen, Bruce, Tom and myself.

Bob has some very impressive coolers and may have a freezer as well.

Hector, you probably have a very adequate cooler and as long as we can keep things cold for a week, we are OK. If you need a very high efficiency cooler though, I have one that you can use that will keep ice for over a week. In that regard, Tom has some very good ideas on how to extend the life of ice for extended trips. It must start, of course, with a good cooler.

Ralphie - what's your situation?
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:13 pm

NotAMog wrote:This sounds like my kind of trip! I've been doing an annual trip with friends for many years and for awhile we had an informal competition going on to see who could fix the most elaborate meals while camping. We've backed off in recent years after it got to the point were the camp cook for the evening was spending most of the day preparing food. Actually, one of the best meals I've had camping was also one of the simplest. Last year at TDS while camping with another Pinzgauer owner we had a dinner that consisted of thin strips of meat cut from a marinated chuck roast cooked on skewers over the campfire.

For breakfast I have a scratch buttermilk pancake recipe I've used for camping that goes over well and is easy to do. I can also bring sourdough starter for sourdough pancakes. I have both white and whole wheat starters. The sourdough pancakes are an acquired taste. Omelets are also a quick and relatively easy.

For dinner I was thinking of doing a chicken pasta primavera with salad one night.

Does a cast iron fondue pot count as dutch oven cooking? :D I could bring my fondue pot and do a cheese fondue one evening. Fondue can be a fun and different meal while camping and it's simple to make. The only problem is that we might want lots of salad to go with it and the whole wheat sourdough pancakes for breakfast the next morning to keep all that cheese moving. :mrgreen:

If we're going to be base camping I could a lasagna in the solar oven but we'd have to plan on having dinner around 5:00PM.

If anyone has something that needs to stay frozen we can coordinate on refrigerators using at least one as a freezer. Both Tom and I have Engels. It can be good to have one as a freezer for any frozen food and to rotate blue ice through it to keep things like salad and veggies cool in an ice chest without taking up room in a refrigerator.

Now that's what I'm talking about!
DaveK
K6DTK

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:29 pm

You can add to my Duthc Oven dinners Lasagna in addition to the Chicken and Rice plus Peach Cobbler and Tortilla Cheese Soup.
For breakfast I can do Omelets in A Bag.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

Return to “Parashant National Monument 2009”