General Planning and Gear

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

General Planning and Gear

Post by DaveK » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:56 am

Initially, we need to determine whether we want to base camp or do the "stay at a different place each night" style of camping. I have a trailer that I will offer up that can serve as a very comfortable base camp. Both Tom and Bob have seen it and can add their own opinion of its suitability for this trip. It has all the cooking, preparation, water and other accommodations that we will need. It, however, would not be practical if we plan to move from place to place.

Reaching consensus on this question will allow us to plan for the remainder of the trip. Please weigh in. Here are some pros and cons of the trailer:

cons: limits the area that we can cover.
slows down the pace of travel

pros: very comfortable living accommodations
cuts down on the gear and equipment that we must carry

Please weigh in!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

diverbob
Call Sign: KF7BVA

Re: General Planning and Gear

Post by diverbob » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:31 am

I think doing a base camp would be the better choice. I haven't been to this area and not familiar
with how far the sight seeing subjects are from a base camp. Dave's camp trailer makes an outdoor adventure
very comfortable., and breaking camp every day then having to set up would take up a bit of time. Plus from what Dave has said there aren't any services close by (water,gas) which would require every one to haul a lot of gear.
With that said my vote is Base Camp.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:33 am

All,

I can go either way.

If we base camp will there be someone staying at the camp during the day to watch over it or don't you expect that to be a problem? I'll end up bringing more stuff if we are base camping.

If we're base camping I have a couple of cammo nets and poles to make an awning off the side of the Pinzgauer. I also have an outhouse/shower tent. I only ever used it once camping and decided it wasn't worth the effort to pitch and strike it when doing a rolling run. I've haven't used it yet for a shower. I've found that cleaning up with baby wipes works well for the 3 and 4 day trips I've been doing. To go with it I also have a Zodi hot water heater which I have found to be handy to have in camp. I can bring an extra camping table if we base camp.

If it will encourage more people (spouses, significant others, etc.) to go on the trip and there will be someone watching the camp during the day then I vote for base camping. Otherwise, I'd prefer a rolling run.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:02 am

I am OK with the Base Camp approach, or perhaps base for a few days then moving along to another location for a few days. I would not be opposed to a watch duty rotation.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:23 pm

NotAMog wrote:All,

I can go either way.

If we base camp will there be someone staying at the camp during the day to watch over it or don't you expect that to be a problem? I'll end up bringing more stuff if we are base camping.

If we're base camping I have a couple of cammo nets and poles to make an awning off the side of the Pinzgauer. I also have an outhouse/shower tent. I only ever used it once camping and decided it wasn't worth the effort to pitch and strike it when doing a rolling run. I've haven't used it yet for a shower. I've found that cleaning up with baby wipes works well for the 3 and 4 day trips I've been doing. To go with it I also have a Zodi hot water heater which I have found to be handy to have in camp. I can bring an extra camping table if we base camp.

If it will encourage more people (spouses, significant others, etc.) to go on the trip and there will be someone watching the camp during the day then I vote for base camping. Otherwise, I'd prefer a rolling run.

I left my base camp last time we went here with no problem. I suppose there is always some risk but I have never had a problem. I would sure hate to have to require someone to stay at camp all day just to watch things. I suppose, all things considered, that wouldn't be a bad way to spend a day.

On the shower thing, I plan on bringing my Zodi dual burner shower whether we base camp or not. I also have a very easy set up enclosure. For a trip of this length, I don't think I could stand myself without a shower after a couple of days of hiking, camp fire smoke, etc. The only thing that we need to do with the shower is to make sure to bring enough water. There may be a couple of places where we can get water (Lake Mead, for example)and I will be checking into that.

If we don't do the base camp thing, I have enough gear for us to survive quite well, including instant set up kitchen, utensils,stove etc.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:53 pm

I'm not a proponent of either way yet. I will add that the Parashant and the sorrounding areas (all of which seamlessly merge together) are immense. Together it makes the East Mojave look like the backyard of a condo by comparison. There are over 6000 miles of roads and immense distances to travel.

At least from a gasoline perspective, we will cover more ground and see more things in the vagabond mode (non-base camp). On the other hand there is no way on earth that we could hope to see it all in a week and base camp living is rather comfortable. A base camp with an unobstructed view of the Grand Canyon is most appealing. Breakfast and diner al fresco can't be beat.

This brings up a very important point - gasoline. We will each need to bring at least 20 gallons and depending on our travel preferences, we may be wise to explore during the day by having two people drive in one vehicle as opposed to having all vehicles in use each day. This will effectively double our range.
DaveK
K6DTK

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:32 pm

I favor a cruise style with the option to set up a base case if we decide it makes sense. I would prefer to layout the travel route and ares to be visited before we decide the best style (cruise or base).
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

snowby4

Post by snowby4 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:15 pm

I hope not to complicate things.....But..... think of the possiblity of two base camp. One north. One south. I could bring an Alpha Toy house. :arrow:
If you don't know where your going, any road will get you there.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 am

Fuel is certainly an important issue. Even with the new expedition rack I'll only have the capacity to carry an extra 15 gallons. I may be able to carry another jerry can or two on rack above the spare tire but I won't know until I get the truck back from the fabricator.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 am

NotAMog wrote:Fuel is certainly an important issue. Even with the new expedition rack I'll only have the capacity to carry an extra 15 gallons. I may be able to carry another jerry can or two on rack above the spare tire but I won't know until I get the truck back from the fabricator.
Bruce:

what kind of mileage does the Pinz get?
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “Parashant National Monument 2009”