General Planning and Gear

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Re: General Planning and Gear

Post by NotAMog » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Currently with the carbs I get about 14 mpg on the road and about 6 mpg doing hard off roading. Dirt roads are somewhere in between but I always calculate my range using the low figure.

The folks with EFI have reported getting as much as 18 mpg on the road and averaging around 16 mpg. I don't have any data for off roading with the EFI setup in a 710 running in full sequential mode yet. I may be the first to find out. I'm looking forward to trying it out with the EFI. There are a few of people who have been running this system in their Pinzgauers for a couple of years in batch mode with excellent results. The firmware for the ECU to run in full sequential mode only recently became available. Those who have switched from batch fire to full sequential report a noticeable improvement in torque and mileage.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:50 am

NOTICE

We need to do a Skype conference call next week for all those going on the trip. How does Tuesday or Wednesday work for everyone? I believe that I have everyone's Skype ID, but if you have changed it or not provided it, please let me know.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:04 pm

Is there any interest in doing some shooting (skeet, perhaps) on this trip?
DaveK
K6DTK

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Dave,
Either day looks ok on my schedule.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:16 pm

NOTICE:

We will be doing a Skype conference call next week on Wednesday at 7:00 PM. Itinerary includes:

1. Base camp vs non base camp
2. menu discussion including meal assignment
3. equipment and gear requirements and assignments
4. departure and return dates

I will be posting the repeaters of which I am aware. If there are others, please post. I will also post some trip simplex frequencies. Every member of the group will be a licensed ham by the start of the trip and each vehicle (except one) will be equipped with APRS. More to follow.
DaveK
K6DTK

toms
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: KI6FHA

Post by toms » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:06 am

Dave, we should add discussion on a general plan of destinations to the agenda.
See you on the Trail!
TomS
KI6FHA / WPZW486

Badlands Off-Road
tom@4x4training.com
http://www.4x4training.com

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:15 am

toms wrote:Dave, we should add discussion on a general plan of destinations to the agenda.

Tom:

I am working on getting a list together of the places of interest that we may want to consider. With a fair amount of luck, I may have it ready and posted before the conference. I have a couple of articles that I will try to scan and post (with the permission of the author, of course) for everyone to see.

Since you have been to this area also, you may want to post up some suggestions.

If we can't get it out in time, we can reserve that discussion for the next conference.
DaveK
K6DTK

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 pm

I went down to see how the expedition rack was coming along for the back of the Pinzgauer today. It is coming along well and my fabricator told me that the truck would be ready for pickup next weekend. He has been having more trouble engineering it than expected so to simplify things we decided to drop the mesh tray over the spare tire and enlarge the ammo box holders above the current two jerry cans to hold two additional jerry cans giving a capacity of 4 jerry cans on the rack and 1 in the original spot next to the main fuel tank. That should take care of my fuel problem.

I'd like to get a couple of the blue Wedco metal water cans if anyone knows where I can find some. Otherwise I'll get a couple of plastic cans the same size.

My fabricator picked up the ex-Croatia Cup racing Pinzgauer. He sold me the custom from bumper off of it since he wants to put one of his own design bumpers on the truck. The bumper has three mounting tabs for accessory lights. Is it likely that we will be doing any night driving? If so I'll try to get some lights on it before the trip. Three Lightforce XGT HIDs would be nice :mrgreen: . Does anyone know if any good deals on HID lights right now. I'd prefer 24 volt units which would be harder to find. I see that the Lightforce XGTs are available in 24 volt :mrgreen: .
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:45 pm

NotAMog wrote:I went down to see how the expedition rack was coming along for the back of the Pinzgauer today. It is coming along well and my fabricator told me that the truck would be ready for pickup next weekend. He has been having more trouble engineering it than expected so to simplify things we decided to drop the mesh tray over the spare tire and enlarge the ammo box holders above the current two jerry cans to hold two additional jerry cans giving a capacity of 4 jerry cans on the rack and 1 in the original spot next to the main fuel tank. That should take care of my fuel problem.

I'd like to get a couple of the blue Wedco metal water cans if anyone knows where I can find some. Otherwise I'll get a couple of plastic cans the same size.

My fabricator picked up the ex-Croatia Cup racing Pinzgauer. He sold me the custom from bumper off of it since he wants to put one of his own design bumpers on the truck. The bumper has three mounting tabs for accessory lights. Is it likely that we will be doing any night driving? If so I'll try to get some lights on it before the trip. Three Lightforce XGT HIDs would be nice :mrgreen: . Does anyone know if any good deals on HID lights right now. I'd prefer 24 volt units which would be harder to find. I see that the Lightforce XGTs are available in 24 volt :mrgreen: .
Bruce:

1. On the water can issue, call me.

2. The only night driving I foresee will involve getting to camp. Otherwise, no night exploring - at least for me. Its dangerous enough during the day!!

3. On the light thing, Larry is the man to see. Also check out http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/st ... &langId=-1 .
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:12 pm

NOTICE TO 4/4/09 SKYPE CONFERENCE CALL PARTICIPANTS

The following is my initial list of places to go/camp/see. These will be discussed along with any other suggestions. Please post.

1. Mt Trumbull School and Mt Trumbull surrounding area - possible camp
2. Tassi Srping and ranch house - possible camp
3. Twin Point camp - A MUST
4. Kelly Point camp - A MUST
5. Lake Mead
6. Mt Logan possible camp
7. Mt. Dellenbaugh possible camp
8. Toroweep

Bear in mind that even with this limited list, the travel distances, and of course the travel times, are significant. Today, I talked to one of the most knowledgeable park rangers I have seen, and it appears that water availability in the Parashant, is quite limited and we should NOT count on finding any drinkable sources. Gasoline is mostly the same, but there is gas at Pipe Springs, Fridona, Hillsdale (Colorado City), and there may be a couple others. In any case, it is a very long trip to the pump. We can examine this further once we settle on our travel plans.

PLEASE NOTE: this Skype Conference call will be most productive if you have access to a good map, preferably one of the two discussed in this forum.

There are some Indian ruins/petroglyphs/etc., but I need to do some more research.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “Parashant National Monument 2009”