General Planning and Gear

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: General Planning and Gear

Post by DaveK » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:59 am

At the base of Mt Trumbull is a place called the Witches' Water Pocket. John Wesley Powell (of Lake Powell fame) in his book, "Canyons of the Colorado", included an eerie drawing of the area, see page 238 at: http://www.scribd.com/doc/9416288/Canyo ... orado-1895

Later, in 1882, CL Dutton, of the The USGS, Department of the Interior wrote about the Pocket as seen at page 84 in this link: http://books.google.com/books?id=7bgQAA ... w#PPA84,M1

Could be a very interesting hike. Takers?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:45 pm

I'm game for a hike. I don't want to be behind the wheel or sitting in camp enjoying Tom's dutch oven goodies and imbibing in adult beverages the whole time. :D
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:24 pm

NotAMog wrote:I have a solar telescope (Coronodo PST) but that's probably not what you were thinking of. :D :geek:

A friend of mine gave me a 6" Newtonian that I'm planning on making into a field scope for off roading trips. It needs some work since it won't hold collimination. I hope to get some time work on it before the trip and bring it along. The Pinzgauer is still at the fabricator so I've pretty much given up on the idea of getting the EFI installed before the trip so I should have a chance to work on the scope.

The viewing should be great if someone brings a scope since the new moon is on the 24th. If I don't get the 6" ready I can bring a Mead 97E with an iOptron cube mount.

Bruce:

I'm not much of an expert on telescopes, but the purpose which I thought we could use it for was viewing across the Grand Canyon, preferably with something more than binoculars. Solar would be good too. Are we talking about two different types of telescopes? I suppose anything would be good!
DaveK
K6DTK

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Dave,

Oh, you were thinking of a terrestrial telescope and I automatically assumed you were think of an astronomical telescope. The Mead 97e is actually a terrestrial scope (images are right side up) so I can bring that. It's compact, has a carrying case, and is relatively air tight. I'm not sure if I'll have time to get the 6" Newtonian done in time anyway. Looking at the night sky with the little Mead can still be interesting if anyone is so inclined.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:52 pm

NotAMog wrote:Dave,

Oh, you were thinking of a terrestrial telescope and I automatically assumed you were think of an astronomical telescope. The Mead 97e is actually a terrestrial scope (images are right side up) so I can bring that. It's compact, has a carrying case, and is relatively air tight. I'm not sure if I'll have time to get the 6" Newtonian done in time anyway. Looking at the night sky with the little Mead can still be interesting if anyone is so inclined.
Me!

Whatever you can bring will be great!
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:32 pm

I just got the coordinates for the Witch's Water Pocket and confirmed with the ranger that the roads that I see on the maps, are in fact open. From the road, it is about a .5 mile hike over mostly level ground.
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm

To do justice to the Parashant, it would require years to see it all. Since we don't have quite that much time, we have been very fortunate to have the help of National Park Ranger, Paul Krumland, to help us get the most out of the time that we do have. Paul has an incredible knowledge of the area and has always taken the time to answer as many questions as I could throw at him. Paul - many thanks!!
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:05 pm

Bob:

are you planning on bringing any spare parts for your H2, viz., tie rods, extra spare tire, etc.?
DaveK
K6DTK

diverbob
Call Sign: KF7BVA

Post by diverbob » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:15 pm

Dave:

I only carry an extra tire rod ,and spare tire I have extra head lights fuses and have almost any electrical parts that would be required, my hand tools should cover most field repairs
I think I can cover most field repairs,This would include field modifications to existing parts to get to a repair location (maybe towing) plus with the extra fluids we have should it cover us for most
emergencies. If there is something else you think we would need let me know and I will add it to
the list to have on hand if needed.

I have my APRS set up installed just need to set all the paramaters to be able to communicate
with every one
Just located the freq. that Hector gave me to set it up. will make that attemtp in the AM
and see if I can get it done on my own. Wish me luck....

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:29 pm

diverbob wrote:Dave:

I only carry an extra tire rod ,and spare tire I have extra head lights fuses and have almost any electrical parts that would be required, my hand tools should cover most field repairs
I think I can cover most field repairs,This would include field modifications to existing parts to get to a repair location (maybe towing) plus with the extra fluids we have should it cover us for most
emergencies. If there is something else you think we would need let me know and I will add it to
the list to have on hand if needed.

I have my APRS set up installed just need to set all the paramaters to be able to communicate
with every one
Just located the freq. that Hector gave me to set it up. will make that attemtp in the AM
and see if I can get it done on my own. Wish me luck....
Bob:

did you mean tie rod, and if so, is it the stock unit? Are you carrying one or two? I assume that you have the Fab Tech replacements.

I really can't think of any other replacement parts that you could carry, other than the tie rods.

Call me when you get the APRS up and running.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “Parashant National Monument 2009”