Parashant - North Rim Grand Canyon - April 2009

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned run.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Parashant - North Rim Grand Canyon - April 2009

Post by DaveK » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:49 pm

We will be doing an expedition to an area known as the Parashant (National Monument) in April 2009. The Parashant (PNM) is located in north western Arizona in an area referred to as the Arizona Strip. PNM borders the Lake Mead National Recreation Area and the Grand Canyon National Park. The areas covered by the PNM include the north rim of the Grand canyon. The area is very remote and not served by any type of facilities. We traveled to the PNM about a year ago and can verify its grandeur and remoteness.

At least one of the areas that we will visit (or base camp, maybe) is actually on the edge of the Grand Canyon (pictures below). This point is about 100 miles from St. George Utah, one of the nearest cities with full facilities. The PNW history is facinating and we will post details as time passes.

From the National Park Service webpage ( http://www.nps.gov/para/ ):
Grand Canyon Parashant's natural splendor provides a sense of solitude to those who venture into its isolated domain. Located on the edge of one of the most beautiful places on earth, the Grand Canyon, the Monument's expansive landscape encompasses a chronicle of natural and cultural history.

Camping and hiking in the Monument is an adventure with over a million acres to explore. Only primitive camping is available.

A bit more history, from the BLM ( http://www.nps.gov/archive/para/history.html ):
The story of this land is rich and long. Two billion years of geologic history and more than 11,000 years of human history have shaped the land and its people, resulting in natural splendor and a sense of solitude in an area that remains remote and unspoiled.

The monument is a geological treasure. The sedimentary rock layers of the Paleozoic and Mesozoic times (600 million – 66 million years ago) are relatively undeformed and unobscured by vegetation. Layers of rock formations have been exposed by the eroding Colorado River, providing a clear view of the geologic history of the Colorado Plateau and testifying to the power of geological forces. The prominent cliffs of two major faults sever the Colorado Plateau. The Grand Wash Cliffs and the Hurricane Cliffs slicing north to south through the region continue to be major topographic barriers to travel across the area. The Grand Wash Cliffs also form a spectacular boundary between the tortured, tilted lands of the Basin and Range province and the horizontal layers of the Colorado Plateau province.

At the south end of the Shivwits Plateau, several tributaries of the Colorado River have carved spectacular Parashant, Andrus and Whitmore Canyons. Volcanic rocks and an array of cinder cones and basalt flows are evidence of more recent (9 million to 1,000 years ago) volcanic events that shaped this land. During this time lava flowed into the Grand Canyon at the Whitmore and Toroweap areas and dammed the river many times during the past several million years.

Archeological evidence indicates that humans have inhabited or used this area for more than 11,000 years. Because of the remoteness, sites have experienced little vandalism and provide valuable clues about the earliest human activity of the hunter-gatherers and puebloan ancestors. Since cultural artifacts are the best clues to ancient habitations, please leave artifacts as you find them. The Southern Paiute who lived in the area at the time of Euro-American contact continue to maintain their ties to this land.

Explorers crossed the area beginning with the Escalante-Dominguez expedition in 1776. Later Jedediah Smith, Antonio Armijo and John C. Fremont explored portions of this land. Explorations by John Wesley Powell and Clarence Dutton in the 1870’s provided stirring written descriptions of the geology, flora and fauna of the area.

This rugged land was settled by people who cherished it and fought to save the remoteness that drew them here. Ranch structures, corrals, fences, water tanks and ruins of sawmills are scattered across the monument and help to piece together the stories of the remote family ranches and lifestyles of a people that value freedom and individuality. Today the descendents of those early settlers continue to ranch in this area.
This will be a 5/6 day trip. Travel time from LA to St. George is about 7 hours. Another 2 hours to the rim. We will limit the trip to a group of 6/7 vehicles. If more interest is shown, we will either establish a waiting list or a second group. We will announce the date shortly.
72460020 (Medium).jpg
A view from camp
72460020 (Medium).jpg (113.25 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
72460031 (Medium).jpg
A view from camp
72460031 (Medium).jpg (102.47 KiB) Viewed 4895 times
72460028 (Medium).jpg
A view from camp
72460028 (Medium).jpg (93.23 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
Attachments
72460017 (Medium).jpg
72460017 (Medium).jpg (148.37 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
72460012 (Medium).jpg
72460012 (Medium).jpg (173.63 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

hawkeye
Call Sign: hawkeye

Re: Parashant - North Rim Grand Canyon - April 2009

Post by hawkeye » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:54 pm

Wow! this looks like a cool trip.

traveltoad
Call Sign: KI6BCA

Post by traveltoad » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:12 am

We can look for Big Horn Sheep.
2003 LR Discovery
2007 KTM 950R - gone, not forgotten
2010 KTM 250XCW
2018 Surly Karate Monkey
2016 Foundry Overland

Matchmaker of Homes and People
http://www.aaronshrier.com

Brucek
Call Sign: k6bjk

Post by Brucek » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:38 am

I had the pleasure of being on that trip with Dave. That campsite is truly spectacular. This will be a very memorable experience.
Bruce K
K6BJK

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:19 pm

DaveK wrote:We will be doing an expedition to an area known as the Parashant
Will this be from a base camp? Or setup and break camp in a different spot each night. The latter is my preference.

As you know, I was there in October. This part of the country is so remote and absolutely beautiful.

'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:45 pm

unwiredadventures wrote:
DaveK wrote:We will be doing an expedition to an area known as the Parashant
Will this be from a base camp? Or setup and break camp in a different spot each night. The latter is my preference.

As you know, I was there in October. This part of the country is so remote and absolutely beautiful.

We have the option of either or a blend. I have a trailer which will serve us well as a base camp.
DaveK
K6DTK

BruisedFJ
Call Sign: KV6WTF

Post by BruisedFJ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:07 pm

I'll be backpacking in the Grand Canyon for 6 days the week of April 27, entering on the Boucher Trail and coming out on Bright Angel. I think after being foot-bound for 6 days, I'm gonna wish I was with you guys in my FJ instead. Hope you have a blast. I'll tell you how my trip was if I come out alive. :shock:
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:30 pm

bruisedFJ wrote:I'll be backpacking in the Grand Canyon for 6 days the week of April 27, entering on the Boucher Trail and coming out on Bright Angel. I think after being foot-bound for 6 days, I'm gonna wish I was with you guys in my FJ instead. Hope you have a blast. I'll tell you how my trip was if I come out alive. :shock:
That will be the trip of a lifetime. What a great time to go! We will probably be on the North rim at about that time. Taking a ham radio?
DaveK
K6DTK

BruisedFJ
Call Sign: KV6WTF

Post by BruisedFJ » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:39 am

DaveK wrote:
bruisedFJ wrote:We will probably be on the North rim at about that time. Taking a ham radio?
Great idea. :P If I get a hand held (Yaesu 7X if all goes well), I'll bring it and contact you before hand for a channel.
Stoddard (Bruised FJ)
KV6WTF

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:15 pm

bruisedFJ wrote:
DaveK wrote:
bruisedFJ wrote:We will probably be on the North rim at about that time. Taking a ham radio?
Great idea. :P If I get a hand held (Yaesu 7X if all goes well), I'll bring it and contact you before hand for a channel.

Jon:

There are several repeaters which serve this area and I will post as many as I can as well as the simplex frequency we will operate on. We may also use some SSB. Let me know what frequencies and modes you will have available.
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “Parashant National Monument 2009”