$40 APRS plus Upgrades

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
DennisDawg
Call Sign: K6DOB

Re: $40 APRS plus Upgrades

Post by DennisDawg » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:33 pm

A year later, still running this setup. Just used it on a rip to the El Paso Mountains. We left at different times and took different routes but tracked all the way to camp Friday. Used it all weekend and found it pretty useful, letting us spread out at times. We find that comms on 70cm work well, so APRS can stay on 2m with out any possible interference.
Local Repeaters On Which You Might Find Me (K6DOB):
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

odomandr
Call Sign: K0WDE

Post by odomandr » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:00 am

I bought this last fall and finally got around to setting it all up. I've used it the last two trips but it's not a daily use driving to work. I didn't get to try out the messaging feature because I didn't see anyone I recognized. I need to set my baofeng up to a nonconstant 12v and set the mobilink to power on with my android device.

Crismateski
Call Sign: KJ6DZZ

Post by Crismateski » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:40 am

Great to hear that this is we working for people. I am still using it myself. On a side note, mobilinkd now has a new version of the bluetooth tnc, ans also has a cade for the original
2006 Dodge Power Wagon @BlkWgn
Family Off The Map http://www.familyoffthemap.com
Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

DennisDawg

Post by DennisDawg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:45 pm

odomandr wrote:I bought this last fall and finally got around to setting it all up. I've used it the last two trips but it's not a daily use driving to work. I didn't get to try out the messaging feature because I didn't see anyone I recognized. I need to set my baofeng up to a nonconstant 12v and set the mobilink to power on with my android device.
The messaging works fine. I have one friend who uses a different setup, and it has an issue where ti will repeatedly receive the same message. SO, if I send him a message he can get bunches of the same one depending on where he is and where digipeters are . . . his setup powers up whenever he is driving. When I see him buzzing around LA and I feel like being annoying, I send him a hello!!!

Anyway, the usefulness of messaging has not hot me yet. Out and about we usually have voice comms . . . so we only message to be funny.

But it works.
Crismateski wrote:Great to hear that this is we working for people. I am still using it myself. On a side note, mobilinkd now has a new version of the bluetooth tnc, ans also has a cade for the original

It is working fine. I do not use my other setup very often now.

Oddly their web site (mobilinkd ) seems to be down . . . hope it is not permanent.
  • Big Bear K6BB 147.330+ PL: 131.8 - Keller Peak KE6TZG: 146.385+ PL: 146.2 - Sierra Peak KD6DDM 146.610- PL: 103.5

odomandr
Call Sign: K0WDE

Post by odomandr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:51 pm

If it was a high end you could message by text or email through aprs. But this only does messaging within aprsdroid correct?

DennisDawg

Post by DennisDawg » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:10 pm

You can read about APRSDroid’s features set here: https://aprsdroid.org/ The messaging it does with location tracking is the same as all the others, and you can send and receive to/from people using other setups.

APRSDroid does not support e-mail so far as I know.

I do not know if there is other software or apps for any Bluetooth enabled device that would support e-mail via APRS (such as via WinLink’s gateway) and the Mobilinkd device.

For WinLink I use a hard wired Winbook <-> Singalink <-> HF Radio setup.

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”