APRS Operating

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Re: APRS Operating

Post by unwiredadventures » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:48 am

hmfigueroa wrote:While I think you can connect your Hardware TNC (D710) through the packet engine I do not know why you would want to.
Currently I have packet engine connected to my D700 and Ui-view connecting to the packet engine. It works great.
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:51 am

Ollie is wanting to work with AGWTracker you can work with agw packet engine, but that adds a layer of complexity that is not warranted without a good reason.

Ollie what I have done in the past and you may wish to do this is runs your d710a with standard built in aprs capability. then you can run agwtracker in receive only mode with agwpe wired to the din(data audio) jack on the radio.

If you can get the tnc in the D710A into kiss mode, I think you can connect to AGWPE and do it that way as well. I think this is a conversation best done in person. It is complex question with so many variables.

It is largely a what do you want it to do question.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks Hector... I'll PM you.

One other question. When Dave and I were within say 50 miles of one another I was able to see him on my GPS and send him messages. Outside of that we couldn't do anything. At least I couldn't anyway. I believe he got my messages and could see me but I din't get his messages nor could I see him. Maybe my path is wrong???? Let me run something by you and see if my understanding is correct... If using the example in the image below if I were to input a path of "Wide2-2, K6NEX-1, K6NEX-5" that would plot my signal path to the LA area from San Diego providing those K6NEX-? stations were relay staions???? (Sorry for the poor image.)

APRS Path Example.JPG
APRS Path Example.JPG (6.32 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:30 am

There is some terminology that needs to be addressed. a relay station is a station that automatically digipeats a station who beacons with at "RELAY" in the Path. Relay stations are not used in major areas, such as Southern California. Especially with the many high level Wide area digipeaters.

Both the Relay stations and the Wide Station are Digipeaters (Digital Repeaters) a relay is intended to get you from a low level local digipeater to the the High level Wide digipeaters.

APRS is intended for local tactical situational communications and not so much long haul communications. That being said, If you need to communicate with a distant station you will need to to designate a specific path to accomplish your communications. Likewise the other end must also designate a specific path to return to you. The Wide and the Relay aliases are designed to make travel easier across a wider area without the need to tailor paths for each area you may operate.

Most wides will get you to an Igate (Internet gateway) within 1 to two hops. That is why a wide1-1 or wide2-2 is usually all you need for local tactical communications. If you want, you can use a hybrid, of the generic wide and a specific path Wide1-1,(Specific DIGI for your intended target area) it will require some trial and error and some paths may be better than others.It is possible some communications will need different paths depending on local conditions.

The things to consider are avoid excessively long paths, avoid the use of Relay, and never use a relay in other than the first hop in a digi string.

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Hector,

my TT4 is sending this string every so often, placing me in the middle of the Pacific Ocean:

K6EPS>APTT4,KA6DAC-9,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,KD6DCN-5:/000000h1234.56N/12345.67W>000/000/TinyTrak4 Alpha/A=003281!whr!

Any idea why? Is this the default location if it cannot determine a valid position?

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:27 pm

sdnative wrote:Hector,

my TT4 is sending this string every so often, placing me in the middle of the Pacific Ocean:

K6EPS>APTT4,KA6DAC-9,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,KD6DCN-5:/000000h1234.56N/12345.67W>000/000/TinyTrak4 Alpha/A=003281!whr!

Any idea why? Is this the default location if it cannot determine a valid position?

I just thought you were on a deep sea fishing trip.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:51 am

123456N and 123456W

That is definitely not a cabling or bad packet error. It is possible that is a default coded into the firmware of the TT4.

Ensure all your gps interface cabling is secure and not being pulled or otherwise disturbed. Also make sure your GPS antenna has a good view of the sky.

Go in to the TT4 Configuration applet and ensure that the "Only send Valid" box is checked.

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks. I'll check everything this weekend.

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:16 pm

hmfigueroa wrote:123456N and 123456W

It is possible that is a default coded into the firmware of the TT4.
Hector,

that is exactly what is happening. I could change it, but I also enabled the "only send valid GPS data" option, so it is a moot point. I'm really liking the TT4. It seems to do everything I need without breaking the bank.

I would be interested in attending next time you all get together for APRS class. 8-)

Old Fart
Call Sign: KG6TY

Post by Old Fart » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:22 am

Hector, you aren't playing fair. I have a TM-700 and a Garmin GPSMap (376C), and the cable. What am I going to use for an excuse for not running APRS now?? :)
Jeff McRae
SNBF Adopt-a-Trail Program
Big Bear Coordinator
OHV76V
KG6TY

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”