APRS Operating

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: APRS Operating

Post by DaveK » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:07 am

Eric:

I don't know if this will help, but the version of Firefox that I have is 3.0.12.

I know that you recently added another ssid, (-9) but I still notice that K6EPS is on a long term fishing expedition in the Pacific and has been there for quite a while.

Using -9 brings you up in the SD area with the most current tracks and points of yesterday. I can't help you with IE, as I don't use it.

I'm not aware of any plugins for APRS.FI but I will confess that it has been awhile since I first started using it. If you are having troubles in both Firefox and IE, perhaps the problem lies elsewhere, not enough RAM?? Using Vista??
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:03 am

DaveK wrote: I know that you recently added another ssid, (-9) but I still notice that K6EPS is on a long term fishing expedition in the Pacific and has been there for quite a while.
Interesting that you say that - Thursday when I was monitoring Ollie at Cleghorn, UI-View 32 kept tracking K6DTK in the Atlantic ocean off the coast of Africa...I would stop the auto tracking, refresh the screen, and you'd be right back in the water....did you go for a long boat ride Thursday, or does the APRS system sometimes have weird glitches ?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
DaveK wrote: I know that you recently added another ssid, (-9) but I still notice that K6EPS is on a long term fishing expedition in the Pacific and has been there for quite a while.
Interesting that you say that - Thursday when I was monitoring Ollie at Cleghorn, UI-View 32 kept tracking K6DTK in the Atlantic ocean off the coast of Africa...I would stop the auto tracking, refresh the screen, and you'd be right back in the water....did you go for a long boat ride Thursday, or does the APRS system sometimes have weird glitches ?

I saw that too and as I recall, it was because my beacon was being sent w/o position data (Gps was off).

Shortly after I turned on the GPS, I returned to So Cal.
DaveK
K6DTK

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:14 pm

DaveK wrote:I still notice that K6EPS is on a long term fishing expedition in the Pacific and has been there for quite a while.
My TT4 has a default location setting that it will use if it can't get a locked gps signal. This happens to be 12.3456N, 123.456W (in the Pacific Ocean), which is what would be the position transmitted if my gps wasn't connected. I since changed another setting that disabled position reports if a gps wasn't connected, so you will not see that problem any more. I am sure your TNC have a similar setting.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:57 pm

DaveK wrote:I saw that too and as I recall, it was because my beacon was being sent w/o position data (Gps was off).

Shortly after I turned on the GPS, I returned to So Cal.
Sure plays havoc with my maps when auto-track is activated....'cause you can't zoom in when a tracked station is being monitored, and with you near Africa and Eric out in the Pacific, well, I'm basically looking at a world map at that point. Is it possible to reset your default position in AGW Tracker to somewhere closer to reality?

On th other hand, we are getting closer and closer to teleportation.... :o :roll: :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:55 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:Is it possible to reset your default position in AGW Tracker to somewhere closer to reality?

With a gps and valid position data, it will send your positions as you move. For a base station, you can set any position that you want, even closer to reality.
DaveK
K6DTK

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:51 pm

DaveK wrote:I know that you recently added another ssid, (-9) but I still notice that K6EPS is on a long term fishing expedition in the Pacific and has been there for quite a while.

Using -9 brings you up in the SD area with the most current tracks and points of yesterday.
cruiserlarry wrote:
Sure plays havoc with my maps when auto-track is activated....'cause you can't zoom in when a tracked station is being monitored, and with you near Africa and Eric out in the Pacific, well, I'm basically looking at a world map at that point. Is it possible to reset your default position in AGW Tracker to somewhere closer to reality?

On th other hand, we are getting closer and closer to teleportation.... :o :roll: :lol:

I only use the -9 ssid (K6EPS-9) and it should be in a reasonable location in Southern California. I currently do not use K6EPS. Can you update your auto-tracker to use the -9?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:22 pm

sdnative wrote:I only use the -9 ssid (K6EPS-9) and it should be in a reasonable location in Southern California. I currently do not use K6EPS. Can you update your auto-tracker to use the -9?
I will do that - thanks...

W6LPB / WPOK492

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:10 pm

sdnative wrote:I am having an issue with aprs.fi right now. When viewed in firefox 3.0.11, the map will center around where I should be, but I do not see a position icon or a track. In IE 6.0, I can see the position, but it almost always crashes right after I put in my callsign to search.

Anyone else having this issue? What plugin does the site require? Maybe I can update these. Thanks.
This turned out to be a cookie issue. I added "aprs.fi" to the exception list in FF and everything works now. IE still crashes, but I dont care because IE sux. :lol:

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:25 pm

This is a very simple, probably obvious question; but for the benefit of those like me who are APRS - impaired:

In the path, do you put a space between stations after the comma, or just a comma without a space ?

A: APRS, WIDE2,2, WIDE2,1
or
B: APRS,WIDE2,2,WIDE2,1

W6LPB / WPOK492

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”