APRS Operating

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: APRS Operating

Post by DaveK » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:29 pm

No space works for me, (AGW Tracker)
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:45 pm

cruiserlarry wrote: A: APRS, WIDE2,2, WIDE2,1
or
B: APRS,WIDE2,2,WIDE2,1
I'm sure this was just for illustration purposes, but I don't think you want to put two wides in the path like that (exception being Wide1-1 first).

Mine has separate entries for multiple path entries so I just set DIGI1=Wide1-1 and DIGI2=Wide2-2. Sorry I can't help you with your Kenwood.

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:28 pm

sdnative wrote:
cruiserlarry wrote: A: APRS, WIDE2,2, WIDE2,1
or
B: APRS,WIDE2,2,WIDE2,1
I'm sure this was just for illustration purposes, but I don't think you want to put two wides in the path like that (exception being Wide1-1 first).

Mine has separate entries for multiple path entries so I just set DIGI1=Wide1-1 and DIGI2=Wide2-2. Sorry I can't help you with your Kenwood.
STOP STOP STOP. . . . :D :D :D

there should be dashes not commas. The Commas go between digipeater or station elements.

Wide1-1 like the formerly used relay if used should always be in the first link in the digipath. Wide1-1 is a low level digipeater and there are many in the Los Angeles Basin. If you use a wide1-1 after a high level Wide2-anything you will activate an absolute mess of low level digipeaters and create havoc with no real benefit.

If you think of it, you want to start small and increase from there. Simplex (APRS), Low Level (Wide1-1), High Level (Wide2-whatever) you could go to whatever number but there are some stations the filter anything over Wide3.

the Wide#-# is the number sou start with. smart Digipeaters will take the Wide#-# and subtract the second number then sent your packet to be digipeated to the digipeater in range. If you start Wide2-2 it will be digipeated with Wide2-1 then digipeated again as Wide2.

This is part of a scheme to eliminate duplicate packet trransmissions. wide1-1 is a dumb digipeater and Wide2-# is a smart digipeater that remembers packets that it has digipeated so that it will not digipeat a packet it has already digipeated. I am sorry this is so difficult to explain in a post.

There is a difference in uiview in that the path selection is nonstandard.

Uiview the path selection is APRS,WIDE2-2 no spaces if you are nor being reliably digipeated then you should use the low level dumb digipeaters APRS,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 again no spaces.

Most other trackers and aprs software will use APRS VIA WIDE2-2 or if a fill in is neeeded APRS VIA WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:01 pm

hmfigueroa wrote:there should be dashes not commas. The Commas go between digipeater or station elements.

Thank you again, Hector. It seems while reloading UIview32 for other reasons I must have put commas where dashes beong, and that is likely my problem with messaging and aprs.fi :P
hmfigueroa wrote:Wide1-1 like the formerly used relay if used should always be in the first link in the digipath. Wide1-1 is a low level digipeater and there are many in the Los Angeles Basin. If you use a wide1-1 after a high level Wide2-anything you will activate an absolute mess of low level digipeaters and create havoc with no real benefit.

If you think of it, you want to start small and increase from there. Simplex (APRS), Low Level (Wide1-1), High Level (Wide2-whatever) you could go to whatever number but there are some stations the filter anything over Wide3.

the Wide#-# is the number you start with. Smart Digipeaters will take the Wide#-# and subtract the second number then sent your packet to be digipeated to the digipeater in range. If you start Wide2-2 it will be digipeated with Wide2-1 then digipeated again as Wide2.

This is part of a scheme to eliminate duplicate packet transmissions.

There is a difference in UIview32 in that the path selection is nonstandard.

UiIview32 the path selection is APRS,WIDE2-2 no spaces. If you are not being reliably digipeated then you should use the low level dumb digipeaters APRS,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2; again, no spaces.
This explanation is very helpful in making sense to me of the differences in the digipeater designations and path choices. While I'm still a bit confused, I feel better informed. I'd love to see a flow chart of the command hierarchy for digipeater paths - that I can follow... :o 8-)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:01 am

cruiserlarry wrote:
hmfigueroa wrote:there should be dashes not commas. The Commas go between digipeater or station elements.

Thank you again, Hector. It seems while reloading UIview32 for other reasons I must have put commas where dashes beong, and that is likely my problem with messaging and aprs.fi :P
hmfigueroa wrote:Wide1-1 like the formerly used relay if used should always be in the first link in the digipath. Wide1-1 is a low level digipeater and there are many in the Los Angeles Basin. If you use a wide1-1 after a high level Wide2-anything you will activate an absolute mess of low level digipeaters and create havoc with no real benefit.

the Wide#-# is the number you start with. Smart Digipeaters will take the Wide#-# and subtract the second number then sent your packet to be digipeated to the digipeater in range. If you start Wide2-2 it will be digipeated with Wide2-1 then digipeated again as Wide2.

This is part of a scheme to eliminate duplicate packet transmissions.

There is a difference in UIview32 in that the path selection is nonstandard.

UiIview32 the path selection is APRS,WIDE2-2 no spaces. If you are not being reliably digipeated then you should use the low level dumb digipeaters APRS,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2; again, no spaces.
This explanation is very helpful in making sense to me of the differences in the digipeater designations and path choices. While I'm still a bit confused, I feel better informed. I'd love to see a flow chart of the command hierarchy for digipeater paths - that I can follow... :o 8-)

There is a pretty good animation on Steve's website. http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths/NNNN-Digi-Demo.htm that goes a long way toward explaining how it works. Although I really think you need to go through and read through his site, as it contains a lot of really good information I think it bears being placed here as well
NNNN-Digi-Demo.gif
file from wa8lmf.net
NNNN-Digi-Demo.gif (128.92 KiB) Viewed 3215 times

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:13 am

THanks Hector. I'll have to go to his site and do my homework...

And, with Ollie's assistance, I got APRS working 100% now on UI-View 32 - messaging is working, and I'm being tracked on aprs.fi, too. I changed the unproto address from the one suggested by UI View 32' s suggestion (took out "APRS" from the beginning of the address), and, viola !!! - all is good again !!!
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”