AGW Tracker v UI View

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

AGW Tracker v UI View

Post by DaveK » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:39 pm

Hector, here we go~~~~~

Just prior to getting all of the hardware to set up APRS in the vehicle, I loaded both AGW Tracker and UI View as the two programs that seemed to be the most recommended.

AGW got the nod and that is what has been running for the last several months. Today, I put UI View into service and discovered some interesting differences.

1. When running UI View, my position will be reported on both APRS.fi and OpenAPRS. When running AGW, my position is only reported on APRS.fi. The "tips" section in OpenAPRS states that this may be/is due to: "Google's Map API Geocoding interface", which they hope is changed. Any thoughts?

2. The ability to create and down load maps is much easier in AGW. There is a dedicated tool enabling use of Google maps, Yahoo maps, Google earth maps plus the ability to make your own maps. Are there similar features on UIV?

3. AGW has the ability to transmit a beacon when the angle of travel exceeds the setting you have entered. No such feature exists in UIV???
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: AGW Tracker v UI View

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:06 pm

I am going to load up AGW and try it, once I get my messaging issue sorted out...

I can't comment on AGW yet, but I've never used any program that had as comprehensive and simple to change interface, and as easy to access and useful help files as UI-View 32....
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:28 pm

I still need to figure out how to use UIView.

Dave, do you do messaging through UIview? Does the TNC need to be in KISS mode? Can you send an email to a regular computer this way?

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:51 am

sdnative wrote:I still need to figure out how to use UIView.

Dave, do you do messaging through UIview? Does the TNC need to be in KISS mode? Can you send an email to a regular computer this way?
Eric:

1. You can do messaging through UIV and I have done it enough to know that it works and how to use it. I have done the majority of my messaging through AGW however, just because that is the program that I prefer and use the most.

2. On the TNC and KISS question, I will not be able to help as I do not use a hardware TNC. I use the SignalLink USB Soundcard device and all of the settings are automatic.

3. Yes you can send an e-mail from your radio to a PC by using the OpenAprs program. Ollie and I have been using it recently and it has some amazing features including e-mail and the ability to send a message from a PC to a vehicle running APRS. While you were doing your Cleghorn run, I was messaging Ollie from my home computer and receiving his responses, still at home.
DaveK
K6DTK

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:18 am

It would be curious to see if you actually need to be a Registered User on OpenAPRS to use the email function from your radio or not. I'll have to try it or show someone who is not a Registered User how to do it then go from there.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:04 pm

OLLIE wrote:It would be curious to see if you actually need to be a Registered User on OpenAPRS to use the email function from your radio or not. I'll have to try it or show someone who is not a Registered User how to do it then go from there.

I volunteer !!! :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:38 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:
OLLIE wrote:It would be curious to see if you actually need to be a Registered User on OpenAPRS to use the email function from your radio or not. I'll have to try it or show someone who is not a Registered User how to do it then go from there.

I volunteer !!! :mrgreen:
When you get to an area where you know you can hit a Digipeater, do the following.

Send out a message.

Instead of sending it to a call sign just type EMAIL in place of the call sign. Then type this message... fj-ollie@cox.net Cruiserlarry APRS email test. Then send it. We'll see if I get it. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Post Script:

Today, I was able to get position reports on both APRS. fi and OpenAPRS whether I used AGW or UIV. Odd!!!
DaveK
K6DTK

Fetus
Call Sign: K6NVG

Post by Fetus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:01 am

I'm still trying to figure out how to use these programs.

From what I can tell, my radio the Kenwood D710 has to be in TNC mode for me to receive the packets. The program then displays them. I thought that I can have them displayed on my radio and my UI View or AGW tracker.

UI View will let me share some data from my GPS but I don't care for the maps on UI View.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the programs to transmit my position.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:57 am

Fetus wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how to use these programs.

From what I can tell, my radio the Kenwood D710 has to be in TNC mode for me to receive the packets. The program then displays them. I thought that I can have them displayed on my radio and my UI View or AGW tracker.

UI View will let me share some data from my GPS but I don't care for the maps on UI View.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the programs to transmit my position.

James:

I use the AGW Packet Engine Pro and AGW Tracker most of the time but I have also been using UIV as a backup and to see what differences there are in the two programs. I can help out mostly with the AGW programs and much less with UIV. Hector is the man when it comes to UIV. If you are able to make it to the meting, there will be more than enough help to get you going.

On the issue of setting up the Kenwood, I think that there are only two of the group who run Kenwood transceivers and who have successfully set up everything, including utilizing a PC - Hector (hmfigueroa)and Frank (unwiredadventures). Hector - your thoughts?
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”