AGW Tracker v UI View

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: AGW Tracker v UI View

Post by OLLIE » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:22 am

Fetus wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how to use these programs.

From what I can tell, my radio the Kenwood D710 has to be in TNC mode for me to receive the packets. The program then displays them. I thought that I can have them displayed on my radio and my UI View or AGW tracker.

UI View will let me share some data from my GPS but I don't care for the maps on UI View.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the programs to transmit my position.
I'm in the same boat as you sir. I have every option and cable except the GPS-710 for my Kenwood but still need to figure out how (software, etc.) to get information into my laptop.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:40 am

If you go to the Knwood website, you can download a APRS manual for the TM-D710A. I was browsing through it last night, and they have a section on using the D710A with UI-View 32 and a laptop (you have to change a special command file - see page 26-27 of the document, Section 5.1). So, it would seem the D710A is compatible, and works directly with, UI-View 32.

Once I get the D710A installed, I'll let you know if that works... :D
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:43 am

Fetus wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how to use these programs.
UI View will let me share some data from my GPS but I don't care for the maps on UI View.
I'm not sure what map program you are using with UI-View 32. I installed Precision Maps 8.1 with UI-View, which will give you street-level detail, POIs, zoom capability, etc..
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Fetus
Call Sign: K6NVG

Post by Fetus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks Larry,

I'll have to to check that out. I have too many map programs though on my laptop. I have Overland Navigator, Expert GPS, Microsoft Streets and Trips, and Garmin TOPO.

Is there a way to make area maps with zoom capability in UI View?

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:01 pm

Fetus wrote:Thanks Larry,

I'll have to to check that out. I have too many map programs though on my laptop. I have Overland Navigator, Expert GPS, Microsoft Streets and Trips, and Garmin TOPO.

Is there a way to make area maps with zoom capability in UI View?
I'm running the same stuff, except I have NG Topo instead of Garmin Topo (I actually have the Garmin City Navigator and Topo programs, just haven't bothered to install them on my vehicle laptop yet 8-) ) There is a way to make screen shot maps from other programs, than use the zoom function...I also have a program called "Loupe" on my Toughbook that lets me magnify the screen of any program - but I don't know if this program is computer-specific or generic.

W6LPB / WPOK492

Fetus
Call Sign: K6NVG

Post by Fetus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:55 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:If you go to the Knwood website, you can download a APRS manual for the TM-D710A. I was browsing through it last night, and they have a section on using the D710A with UI-View 32 and a laptop (you have to change a special command file - see page 26-27 of the document, Section 5.1). So, it would seem the D710A is compatible, and works directly with, UI-View 32.

Once I get the D710A installed, I'll let you know if that works... :D
I was using that last night and there is a Yahoo group where a guy has a corrected CMD file for the D710. Your settings on the APRS menu on the D710 have to be correct, because the command file opens the port. I was able to receive APRS packets and have them display on UI View. Though your radio doesn't display them anymore (APRS Stations). I couldn't get the GPS to share the same COM Port nor could I get the UI View to transmit my position.

APRS is quite a challenge.

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”