APRS School and Set Up Meeting

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
hmfigueroa

Re: APRS School and Set Up Meeting

Post by hmfigueroa » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:44 pm

Ui-view is different in the implementation of the Unproto path

here is what you should use

APRS,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

My preferred path is

APRS,WIDE2-2

Try them both and see what works for you.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:51 pm

Hector:

Will the effect of not using "APRS" at the beginning of the unproto line, result in difficulty in reaching an igate ? If so, how difficult?

Is this a unique function of UIV?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:08 pm

DaveK wrote:Hector:

Will the effect of not using "APRS" at the beginning of the unproto line, result in difficulty in reaching an igate ? If so, how difficult?

Is this a unique function of UIV?
APRS is the equivalent of an address thatidentifies the type of message to be transmitted. Not having it will cause it to be ignored by some APRS clients.

You can use other destination addresses but they are usually used for special events. it functions to separate everyday aprs traffic from special or "alternate net" traffic.

This is the information from the UI-view help file
UI-View32 Destination Address
The default AX25 destination address, used by UI-View32 for all APRS compatible packets, is "APRS". This is regarded by UI-View32 as a special address, and is replaced by "APU2" plus the program version encoded into two characters. E.g. "APU24A".

You can, if you wish, use a different destination address, but it is strongly recommended that you use the special address of "APRS", unless you have a good reason to use something different.

It is necessary to encode the program version, because the address cannot be more than six characters, and "APU2" takes up four of them. "APU" is the agreed destination APRS address prefix for all versions of UI-View, and the '2' identifies it as UI-View32. ("APU1" is used for 16 bit UI-View.)

Fetus
Call Sign: K6NVG

Post by Fetus » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks, Hector. I was able to hit get my UI View position report on APRS.Fi via the laptop and the TM-D710. Success!

Now I have to record all my settings to duplicate it. And try it with the TM-D700.

I will probably start looking at loading AGW tracker. I like the mapping capabilities more with that program.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:40 pm

APRS is definitely complex, from a hook-up point of view...

I'd still like to set up AGW Tracker on my system - I guess I have something to look forward to in our next APRS "school" (get ready, Hector :lol: )
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:15 pm

Now you guys are talking!! I have been using both the AGW and UIV systems for a while and while each performs well (when set up properly :roll: ) the AGW product offers some very attractive capabilities and features that UIV does not, including the ability to communicate directly with the developer. Also, AGW has recently released some new products making it even more appealing.
DaveK
K6DTK

Fetus

Post by Fetus » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Dave,

I've been trying to get AGW Tracker running the past couple of days. I'm trying to figure out how to get the maps set up. I have Garmin Topo on my laptop but it seems that AGW can only load one map at a time, not have a directory to access maps automatically. I remember you had a file of a map of Southern California. How do I make one again?

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Fetus wrote:Dave,

I've been trying to get AGW Tracker running the past couple of days. I'm trying to figure out how to get the maps set up. I have Garmin Topo on my laptop but it seems that AGW can only load one map at a time, not have a directory to access maps automatically. I remember you had a file of a map of Southern California. How do I make one again?

James:

Using AGW, you can run an unlimited number of maps at the same time. AGW supports a very large number of different map formats. From their website:
The program can display almost all image types. .BMP, .GIF, .JPG, .PNG, .TIFF, .WMF, .EMF. To display correctly that map the file must have a corresponding .inf file which has the coordinates of the upper left corner and down right corner. That way the program can display correctly the stations on the map. You may find in the Maps directory inf files to see the format.
AGW's supported formats include USGS Topo maps and Garmin maps. Any map or mapping program (including Precision Maps) that are usable on UIV are also usable on AGW, without modification. If you have an air card for your notebook and have internet access while driving, you can use on line map services such as Microsoft's Virtual Earth, Google Maps and Yahoo Maps. Microsoft's Mappoint can also be used.

You can get Shape vector maps from
http://www.esri.com/data/download/censu ... index.html
http://www.esri.com/data/download/basemap/index.html
http://xastir.tamu.edu/2004/states/
http://mapshots.com/downloads/tiger.asp For detailed USA states and county maps.

I will send you a couple of maps, including the setup files, but the best way to get the maps you need is to start making them from your preferred source. For offroad use, I have found the USGS Topo maps are the best. In the city, there are several choices, making it a matter of personal preference. The best way to help you make a map is by phone. I will email you some numbers to contact me.
DaveK
K6DTK

Fetus

Post by Fetus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Dave,

I ran into a wall with AGW Tracker. It won't let me share the GPS data through the TNC, as UI-View will. Trying to get GPSgate to work with it met with failure as well.

I wrote to the maker of the Greenlight Labs GPS unit and he said that the Kenwood will only send some of the GPS data via the TNC but may exclude elevation and speed. I'm debating of whether to add another GPS to the laptop maybe internally.

So at the present time, I will settle for UI View. Its working fine now. I also put Mappoint 2002 on my laptop from a previous APRS point install. So I'll see how that map plugin works.

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Fetus wrote:Dave,

I ran into a wall with AGW Tracker. It won't let me share the GPS data through the TNC, as UI-View will. Trying to get GPSgate to work with it met with failure as well.

I wrote to the maker of the Greenlight Labs GPS unit and he said that the Kenwood will only send some of the GPS data via the TNC but may exclude elevation and speed. I'm debating of whether to add another GPS to the laptop maybe internally.

So at the present time, I will settle for UI View. Its working fine now. I also put Mappoint 2002 on my laptop from a previous APRS point install. So I'll see how that map plugin works.
James:

I believe that Hector is successfully running AGW with his Kenwood and can shed some light on the GPS data issue. Hector??
DaveK
K6DTK

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”