Green Light Labs GPS Module for Kenwood D710

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
Fetus
Call Sign: K6NVG

Green Light Labs GPS Module for Kenwood D710

Post by Fetus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:53 pm

I don't know how you guys hook up a GPS to the Kenwood D710 but this is what I use in my Xterra.

http://www.greenlightlabs.com/gps-710/

I have a D700 in my Jeep and I have to run cables everywhere (external antenna, data, and power) to hook up a Garmin GPS unit. The downside is that you lose the ability to have callsigns plotted on your GPS unit as waypoints. A feature that I can live without as the GPS became crowded with numerous waypoints that had to be deleted.

The Green Light Labs GPS antenna gets great coverage from inside the vehicle. My control head is mounted below my stereo on my 05 Xterra. The cable runs are short and clean. The GPS is also powered from the control head.

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Green Light Labs GPS Module for Kenwood D710

Post by DaveK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:35 am

Fascinating. What a great setup.

I take it that you can still hook everything up to a PC?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Fetus
Call Sign: K6NVG

Post by Fetus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:32 am

I imagine so. You can either use the 2.5mm plug with your own cable to a serial port to a laptop from the back of the GPS or just use the ports on the back of the main part of the radio. According to the website, the guy doesn' t make the cable but it can be made easily enough I'm sure. It is a great self contained unit and frees up my other GPSrs for other things.

I still haven't figured out any of the APRS software like UIView32 or http://www.agwtracker.com/.

I'm stuck at home all day right now, so I might as well get cracking on that. I'll let you guys know how it goes in a couple days.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:35 pm

I was looking at this module a few days ago. I think it's an ideal device for a the home APRS set up or if you don't want to track people. It uses the latest and greatest GPS formats to date (SIRF, WAAS, etc.) It still allows you to port through it for data signal to another device like a laptop too.

I have my TM-D710 hooked up through my Garmin GPSMap 478. I love it. Each waypoint repositions itself when another call is received from the duplicate station. I also have a laptop set up in my truck. I have both of Kenwood cables that run from the radio to the laptop. I still have yet to take the time to figure out how to redirect data from the GPS to the laptop for the use of a larger screen in the field. I need to do that yet. Just need to find the time. :D
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”