OAUSA Net Control APRS

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

OAUSA Net Control APRS

Post by OLLIE » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:46 am

I was sitting down and thinking... (Now we're in trouble) ...that it would be nice to have APRS set up at the camp site sending out a beacon of KI6ZQL-12. I have two radios I can use and need to decide which set up would be best. I have an FT-897 and an FT-8800. I was thinking the FT-897 would be the one to use and keep the FT-8800 as the full-time comms radio since it is a dualbander. If I hook my laptop up to the FT-897 we would also be able to send and receive messages at camp as well as track groups on the trail.

So... with that said, I think a few of you (Fetus???) have done this with your FT-897's already. I have the laptop, radio, and GPS; what else do I need to link all these together and make the package work (cables, software, etc.). I'll try to bring this stuff to the APRS meeting on the 12th too.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: OAUSA Net Control APRS

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:51 am

OLLIE wrote:I was sitting down and thinking... (Now we're in trouble) ...that it would be nice to have APRS set up at the camp site sending out a beacon of KI6ZQL-12.

I have the laptop, radio, and GPS; what else do I need to link all these together and make the package work (cables, software, etc.)?
How about an antenna - high enough to give it good range, and secure enough that the afternoon winds don't send it tumbling down onto an unsuspecting camper :lol: .
Also, we'll need someone to stay at camp to monitor the system, both for messages and to prevent theft...

If my TM-D710A is installed by then (and it should be), I'll have a Kamtronics KMC-3 TNC available with connection cables to an FT-857D. This might be all you'll need to hook up to the FT-897, but we'll have to check to see the ports on the FT-897 and your GPS...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:42 am

cruiserlarry wrote:
OLLIE wrote:I was sitting down and thinking... (Now we're in trouble) ...that it would be nice to have APRS set up at the camp site sending out a beacon of KI6ZQL-12.

I have the laptop, radio, and GPS; what else do I need to link all these together and make the package work (cables, software, etc.)?
How about an antenna - high enough to give it good range, and secure enough that the afternoon winds don't send it tumbling down onto an unsuspecting camper :lol: .
Also, we'll need someone to stay at camp to monitor the system, both for messages and to prevent theft...

If my TM-D710A is installed by then (and it should be), I'll have a Kamtronics KMC-3 TNC available with connection cables to an FT-857D. This might be all you'll need to hook up to the FT-897, but we'll have to check to see the ports on the FT-897 and your GPS...
Damn... I forgot about the TNC. That Navibe isn't working for me on TOPT! 4.0. I don't know what's going on with it. The UI-View isn't right on my laptop either. Looks like I have some work to do.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

Fetus
Call Sign: K6NVG

Post by Fetus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:13 am

Ollie,

I have an 897 though I haven't used it for APRS, yet. I agree with Cruiserlarry, that some type of TNC is needed to send out a beacon and receive the APRS packets. Most TNCs are pretty expensive. I'm thinking the Tiny Trak 4 could be an option (http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak4/). I haven't yet had the pleasure of using one yet.

Or another option could be the Tigertronics TigerTrak TM-1+ (http://www.tigertronics.com/). I'm not sure if this beacons or not though.

Neither of those websites show their products hooked up to a laptop.

To make the setup successful, the APRS base unit would need high ground for the best coverage.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Here's a link to the setup I put together this morning to support our events...

http://www.oausa.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1522
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:08 pm

I'm sure my Kamtronics KMC-3 will be available to use, and I've already made a Yaesu-to-TNC cable for it - so don't purchase another one yet.... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Ollie,

is this just a novelty thing, or is there a actual need to have an APRS station at camp? Not trying to discourage you nor am I saying it is not a legitimate idea, I am just not sure of the purpose. If it is just to keep in touch with camp, we can do that over the radio.

I do like the geek factor though.. :ugeek: :lol:

sdnative

Post by sdnative » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:09 pm

Fetus wrote:I'm thinking the Tiny Trak 4 could be an option (http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak4/). I haven't yet had the pleasure of using one yet.
I am using the TT4 and really like it. I can help setup a unit if needed, although it is pretty simple. I have the null modem cable and the M12 data cable for it.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member

Post by OLLIE » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:14 pm

sdnative wrote:Ollie,

is this just a novelty thing, or is there a actual need to have an APRS station at camp? Not trying to discourage you nor am I saying it is not a legitimate idea, I am just not sure of the purpose. If it is just to keep in touch with camp, we can do that over the radio.

I do like the geek factor though.. :ugeek: :lol:
It's definitely geek factor. I still think it will be nice to have the capability even if we don't use it for BorregoFest. I think it will be a great display for the Meet & Greet at a minimum. ;)
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

-Ronald Reagan

Repeater

Fetus
Call Sign: K6NVG

Post by Fetus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:45 pm

I know that some teams make use of APRS for Baker to Vegas to keep track of their teams. That is a good test of communications stretching over a mountainous desert landscape.

It would definitely be on the geek factor. Have you tried using USA Photomaps? It has an APRS functionality, as well, and lets you switch between Topo maps and b/w aerial photos. You do have to download them (the maps and photos) before going out but the program is free and I have some limited use at the house with it.

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”