OAUSA Net Control APRS

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
hmfigueroa

Re: OAUSA Net Control APRS

Post by hmfigueroa » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:50 pm

OLLIE wrote:I was sitting down and thinking... (Now we're in trouble) ...that it would be nice to have APRS set up at the camp site sending out a beacon of KI6ZQL-12.
This can also be accomplished by creating an object, so you may not need to dedicate a station to the camp site. Also running a full computer based setup of APRS is very power intensive. It is fine if you have a power connection but more problematic if you are relying on an inverter or vehicle based computer.

What I used while camping and what I had on 24/7 was a Kenwood D700 and a GPS with map display. I had the beacon rate set at 30 minutes,and it will display nearby stations and have messaging capability.

Again this is great for M&G type activities but has logistical problems for camping. Power, equipment, and most of all security.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:00 pm

sdnative wrote:Ollie,

is this just a novelty thing, or is there a actual need to have an APRS station at camp? Not trying to discourage you nor am I saying it is not a legitimate idea, I am just not sure of the purpose. If it is just to keep in touch with camp, we can do that over the radio.

I do like the geek factor though.. :ugeek: :lol:
Aside from the geek factor, it might be nice to have a rig's position immediately available in case of emergency, instead of waiting for the back and forth of voice communications; of course the chances of this being critical is very "remote" (pun intended :lol: )...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:32 am

Don't forget the messaging capabilities of APRS, which go well beyond the range of any VHF/UHF radio. This ability for 2 way communication, as well as letting those staying at home know where we are and that all is well, takes it out of the geek factor, at least a little bit.

It is also a great way for run leaders and the base station to make sure that groups stay together. In the event of a separation, it can be useful in getting the run back on track. Week-end trips are certainly not as critical as longer duration trips, but the value is still there.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:01 am

hmfigueroa wrote:
OLLIE wrote:I was sitting down and thinking... (Now we're in trouble) ...that it would be nice to have APRS set up at the camp site sending out a beacon of KI6ZQL-12.
This can also be accomplished by creating an object, so you may not need to dedicate a station to the camp site. Also running a full computer based setup of APRS is very power intensive. It is fine if you have a power connection but more problematic if you are relying on an inverter or vehicle based computer.

What I used while camping and what I had on 24/7 was a Kenwood D700 and a GPS with map display. I had the beacon rate set at 30 minutes,and it will display nearby stations and have messaging capability.

Again this is great for M&G type activities but has logistical problems for camping. Power, equipment, and most of all security.
This makes complete sense. I forgot about the ability to create an object. That is done through something like OpenAPRS correct? One thing nice about our campground is that there will be electrical available. I will probably only run the system when we are in camp. I'm not expecting someone to monitor it all day. Again, it will be a good source for a demonstration. If people see it they might get interested and we might draw more people into amateur radio.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:27 pm

That sounds like a perfectly good system to use. If you have access to reliable power it makes a lot of sense to use the enhanced capabilities of a computer based APRS system.

It has a very good visual appeal that is conducive to drawing a crowd. Especially if they know the folks they are tracking. Now the issue is the radio the 857 is way too much radio for the application. I would much rather see it put to use as an HF display station, but I guess you gotta run what you brung... :D

We can discuss this more in detail when we get together for the APRS School. You have a very very good base to grow on. I appreciate your enthusiasm for all the various modes, as they all have tremendous applications for what we do.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:19 pm

hmfigueroa wrote:That sounds like a perfectly good system to use. If you have access to reliable power it makes a lot of sense to use the enhanced capabilities of a computer based APRS system.

It has a very good visual appeal that is conducive to drawing a crowd. Especially if they know the folks they are tracking. Now the issue is the radio the 857 is way too much radio for the application. I would much rather see it put to use as an HF display station, but I guess you gotta run what you brung... :D

We can discuss this more in detail when we get together for the APRS School. You have a very very good base to grow on. I appreciate your enthusiasm for all the various modes, as they all have tremendous applications for what we do.
Actually you are reading my mind. The FT-8800 is mounted into the lid of the box. We could set one side of that up to do APRS like DaveK does then use the FT-897 for HF demonstrations.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”