NEW Yaesu FTM-350 2m/70cm with APRS

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: NEW Yaesu FTM-350 2m/70cm with APRS

Post by cruiserlarry » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:22 pm

I checked out the FTM-350 at HRO today; it is impressive, with it's very easy to read screen, and easy menu system ( Copied from the Kenwood TM-D710A, if you ask me :roll: ). It offers 1 watt on 220 Mhz, too, along with the option of an internally mounted GPS module, so it's a complete APRS package. Very nicely constructed, and comes with a suction cup mount for the head unit. Has optional bluetooth (although I had a FTM-10R with this option, and didn't use it very often for the money it cost... :o ). But the Kenwood has a voice synthesizer module that makes changes when driving easier, so you don't take your eyes off the road (also an option, about $50), which I do use all the time.

So, without actually using the radio, I was impressed; but I don't have any plans to replace the TM-D710A any time soon....
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:55 pm

New toys are always tempting and the FT-350 seemed like it would be difficult to resist.

The price tag, which initially appears to be $600, plus a donation to the State of California of about $60.00, has dampened my spirit to buy another vhf/uhf radio. And since the face panel will not attach to the body of the radio, remote mounting is required - groan!

The Kenwood is back in the running.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:49 pm

DaveK wrote:New toys are always tempting and the FT-350 seemed like it would be difficult to resist.

The price tag, which initially appears to be $600, plus a donation to the State of California of about $60.00, has dampened my spirit to buy another vhf/uhf radio. And since the face panel will not attach to the body of the radio, remote mounting is required - groan!

The Kenwood is back in the running.
Another reason to get the Kenwood TM-D710A over the Yaesu FTM-350:

Many of us at OAUSA already have them - so shared programming and memory channels, set-up and APRS, as well as the ability to assist each other easily because we all have the same menus / buttons, make it a very convenient choice.... ;)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 am

cruiserlarry wrote:Many of us at OAUSA already have them
I've heard of OAUSA. I'll have to look into that.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”