APRS Nightmare

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Re: APRS Nightmare

Post by OLLIE » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:53 pm

sdnative wrote:Sorry to hear about the troubles, but glad you got it working. What wires did you solder?
I had to solder the data in and data out wires to from the GPS to the radio faceplate/TNC. They are super small (#30???) wires.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:08 pm

Careful, Ollie...

I heard rumors that data cable was going to have you brought up on charges of "solder-me".... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:32 pm

cruiserlarry wrote:Careful, Ollie...

I heard rumors that data cable was going to have you brought up on charges of "solder-me".... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

Leemaisel
Call Sign: KF5CRM

Post by Leemaisel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:22 pm

I feel your pain!

I got APRS working easily with an old garmin and a Kenwood TH-D7a with built in TNC, but the range of an HT won't cut it always, so I bought a used Kenwood TM-733A off craigslist, and ordered a tinytracker4 and the little tiny serial GPS that attaches right onto the TT4. For some reason the output levels were low on the TT4, and after barely trying the audio calibration procedure, the TT4 would just output garbage.
I ended up completely resetting it to factory, and putting in all my settings. It works, but I still think output is low.

Another thing that is really irritating me, is when I have the Mini DIN connector plugged into the radio, there's a low hissing sound (like static) that never goes away, even with the volume all the way down! Don't have a clue whats happening there.

and the BIGGEST irritation of all? Why in the hell cant I get any of this to work with Delorme TOPO USA 7 or 8??? That is my preferred mapping program, reasonably accurate, I have satellite overlays, etc, but can't figure out how to get it to work with APRS. All I want is an overlay with received stations incuding mine showing.
Does anyone know how to do this?
KF5CRM

96 AM General HMC4
85 AM General M998

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:06 am

Leemaisel wrote: and the BIGGEST irritation of all? Why in the hell cant I get any of this to work with Delorme TOPO USA 7 or 8??? That is my preferred mapping program, reasonably accurate, I have satellite overlays, etc, but can't figure out how to get it to work with APRS. All I want is an overlay with received stations incuding mine showing.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Well, you need to import the Delorme maps into an APRS compatible program. I believe AGW Tracker allows you to import Delorme maps, but I haven't tried it yet myself. Delorme maps work with Lowrance GPS units, and I'm usng a Lowrance GPS to feed my Kenwood TM-D710A its GPS info...so maybe I'll be able to coordinate them together somehow...but, in general, I think you need an APRS program that is compatible with Delorme Topo....

We have a thread about Overland Explorer Topo map software, and Craig Miller, the owner / developer at Spacial Minds that produces that software, is an avid ham. He has already stated he has plans to incorporate an APRS plug-in for his topo maps, so that might be an option, too.

Our resident AGW Tracker experts are DaveK (Dave) and hmfigueroa (Hector), so maybe they can chime in here with a better answer to your question... :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:14 am

Delorme maps are saved as bitmap images. If you are running AGW, it has the ability to use bitmap images for mapping. If I understand your question correctly, you will be able to open a Delorme map of the area you are interested in and save it. You will then need to import the saved file into the map file for AGW and then calibrate it. The map that you create in this way will be exactly what you will see when you use AGW. I am not aware that you can use the Delorme program, while running, for APRS use.

The following is from the AGW program:
Maps
The program is able to use different map types including also online maps from Internet. You can open on the same Map view multiple maps that may tile or overlay each other.

Raster Maps

Raster Maps are bitmap files. The file includes an image which is a map. The program can display almost all image types. .BMP, .GIF, .JPG, .PNG, .TIFF, .WMF, .EMF. To diplay correctly that map the file must has a corresponding .inf file which has the coordinates of the upper left corner and down right corner. That way the program can display correctly the stations on the map. You may find in the Maps directory inf files to see the format.

Geotiff Maps
These are image files in tif format that instead of a .inf file have a .tfw file that includes georefernce information. These files are produced by Mapping programs.

Vector Maps

The program supports vector files of Shape type. Those files contains instructions how to draw the map. The program interprets the commands and draw the map. Those maps consists of at least 3 files. The program opens the .shp file first.
Polish Format maps are text files with map description.
Garmin img (image files) The files that Garmin GPS units use.

On Line Maps

If you have a connection to Internet then you can use On line Maps services. Currently AGWTracker Supports Microsoft's Virtual Earth, Google Maps and Yahoo Maps.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Leemaisel

Post by Leemaisel » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks Dave! How does one "calibrate" a map in AGW?
KF5CRM

96 AM General HMC4
85 AM General M998

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Leemaisel wrote:Thanks Dave! How does one "calibrate" a map in AGW?

Once the map is opened in AGW (you will see the word, "error" next to the name of the map on the tab), you will need to right click anywhere on the map. This will bring up a menu from which you will select "calibrate raster map". This will bring up a notice that you need to select a couple of points on the map and then enter the coordinates. Click OK and it will bring up a "create edit...." screen. You must select two points on the map, one in the top left corner of the map and the other on the right bottom corner of the map and enter the coordinates for each point. If your mapping program allows for the coordinates to be included in the image, the identification of these points is easy. If no coordinates accompany the map, you will have to determine the coordinates at these two points and then enter them.

When finished, under the File menu, select "save map project as", give it a name and next time you want to use it, just click on the name and you are ready to go.

Each of us has his personal favorite mapping program. For me, for offroad use, I believe that the USGS maps offered by Nat. Geo are among the very best. For city use, there are multiple mapping programs that give good results. Since that is a topic that can and has produced much discussion, we will leave it for another day.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Leemaisel

Post by Leemaisel » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks Dave! I'll give it a shot! Hard to use google maps when out in the boonies! LOL

hmfigueroa

Post by hmfigueroa » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:13 pm

UI view has SA grabber which will use street atlas maps. I am not current on its operations but it is a good solution.

There was also APRS+SA I dont know if it is still available on the TAPR.org site but that will use the older Delorme Maps as well.

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”