AGWTracker and GPSgate

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

AGWTracker and GPSgate

Post by NotAMog » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Has anyone had any success running AGWTracker with GPSgate? It appears that AGWTracker is not detecting the GPSgate virtual comm port for the GPS unit. My new carputer (Pinzputer?) only has one hardware serial port which I have connected to my Kenwood TM-D700A. I had to use the hardware serial port to get UI-View to talk to the radio. I think UI-View is working correctly but I'd like to try out AGWTracker. I've noticed that quite a few ham applications don't like virtual serial ports.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Re: AGWTracker and GPSgate

Post by cruiserlarry » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:57 pm

I've been running GpsGate for a while, and usually use UI-View 32 with it with no problem. Although I do have AGW Tracker loaded on my computer, I've never used it (waiting for a personal tutorial from DaveK ;) ).

It appears, based on the GPS setup in AGW, that you can choose from any of the many additional com ports you can assign through GpsGate. So, it should work... :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Post by NotAMog » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:19 pm

There is a pulldown for the Comm ports but it only lists the hardware Comm port. The directions say that if the desired Comm port is not shown to just type it in, which I tried but the software doesn't seem to recognize the GPSgate virtual port. I may have to live with UI-view if I can't get AGWtracker to work. There are a few other APRS applications out there I've used in the past I may try out as well.
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:39 pm

I have been running AGW and GPS Gate from the beginning, without incident. I have noticed that I need to use the available virtual ports in order. What equipment are you using?
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”