aprs not working on new d710 installed

APRS is challenging and intimidating but a useful tool in our hobby. discuss APRS in this forum.
tsarte
Call Sign: KJ6BSN

aprs not working on new d710 installed

Post by tsarte » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:35 pm

just got my d710 but can't get aprs working or at least I cant see myself on aprs.fi. I can see the traffic and see messages when I tune in to 144.390. i've tried ptt, manual and automatic beaconing.

Any ideas guys?
-Tony Sarte
KJ6BSN

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: aprs not working on new d710 installed

Post by DaveK » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Antonio (Tony?):

Welcome to OAUSA. We are pleased to have you join us. We have several members who have worked through these APRS issues with the Kenwood radios.

When you get a chance, let us know about you and your set-up.

Welcome aboard!
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Antonio, welcome to OAUSA.

I use a Kenwood TM-D710A in my rig connected to a laptop with an internal GPS, running UI-View 32 software. I also have a Lowrance globalmap Baja 540C that connects to the TM-D710A for those occassions my laptop is not in the vehicle, but I want APRS to work. Both work fine, and I have no issues with APRS.

In order to help you to figure out how to resolve the issues you are having, we'll need more info on your system specifics, and your menu settings, especially those in the APRS sub-menu. Ollie (K6JYB) and I both run identical settings - but we had some initial problems, too - so don't feel alone :mrgreen: Once your settings are adjusted properly, you should be good to go.

You didn't mention which GPS did you interface with the TM-D710A to provide location data, and how it's connected. If the GPS is not functioning, or not connected properly (GPS indicator on the upper screen of the D710A is not flashing), APRS will not work, either.

You probably know this, but the TM-D710A requires an external GPS to provide location information....if you haven't hooked one up, check out the Geen Labs GPS-710 module for the D710A - it mounts directly to the back of the remote head, and requires no additional wiring as it connects in-line...you won't have a map display, but you'll have full-function APRS.

GREEN LABS GPS-710
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

tsarte
Call Sign: KJ6BSN

Post by tsarte » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey guys

thanks for the quick replies! I had my account settings wrong so I was not notified about your replies.

I got it working right before my Death Valley trip with my son. It was a combination of beacon settings and the fact that my radio was not dedicated to 144.390 as it should have. My family was able to check my progress on aprs.fi.

btw, I think i was able to tune in a bit on last thursday's net.

excited to go on another trip.

cheers!
-Tony Sarte
KJ6BSN

Return to “APRS (AUTOMATIC PACKET REPORTING SYSTEM)”