Itinerary

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned event.
DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Itinerary

Post by DaveK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:43 pm

ITINERARY UPDATE

As the research and investigation continues, we will be making some adjustments to the sites we will visit and how much time we spend at each. It goes without saying that the areas we visit will be some of the most spectacularly scenic places in the USA. It also goes without saying that the experience is so much greater when you choose the path less traveled (remote).

The truth of the matter is that one could spend months, or even years, exploring any one of the 4 areas that I had originally mentioned, Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Red Rock Valley and Chaco Canyon. In order to do reasonable justice to the areas we want to visit, we will need to spend a little more time than I originally anticipated. As a result, depending on the availability of 2 different places, we may drop Chaco Canyon from this years itinerary. Not sure yet.

Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley and Red Rock Canyon shall remain on the itinerary.

Before we post the sign up, I feel compelled to make some disclosures:

1. Under Navajo Law, we are required to have a guide anytime we wander off the main road. This, of course, will be a cost we will all have to share. And, some of the areas we will camp are on private property and, naturally, we must compensate the landowners. I don’t have specific cost numbers yet, but I will post them when the sign-up begins.

2. As I explain below, we will have 2 (maybe three) days of hiking to see ruins that are not accessible by vehicle. These are purely optional, but the thrill of experiencing something that VERY few people ever see, will be well worth the effort.

Currently on the plan are the following two areas contained within the Navajo National Monument:

1. Keet Seel Ruins
2. Betatakin Ruins

For more information see, http://www.nps.gov/nava/index.htm and http://www.nps.gov/nava/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm. Keet Seel is a 17 mile round trip hike to stunning cliffside ruins. It is the largest such ruin in Arizona and one of the most impressive. Betatakin involves a less strenuous 5 mile hike to also see very impressive ruins. Cost information on these locations will follow.

There is a similar, (less strenuous), hike to remote ruins in Red Rock Valley. I will post more information on this later.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

NotAMog
Global Moderator
Call Sign: KD6GCO

Re: Itinerary

Post by NotAMog » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Dave,

We'll have to organize a practice hike to get ready for Keet Seel. It's been a long time since I've hiked that far on flat ground without the steep switchbacks, sand, and water.

Bruce
KD6GCO
Bruce Berger
KD6GCO
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
'91 Honda ST1100 197,000miles and counting :shock: (I hope to make it to at least half the places this bike has been)
'04 Tacoma / AT FlipPac Camper
'07 Moto Guzzi Norge - Corsa Red - The faster color :mrgreen:

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:40 pm

The official Navajo Park Service brochures for the Keet Seel Ruins and the Betatakin Ruins follow. The Park service controls the dates that these ruins are open and to the extent that we can reserve a tour within out planned dates, I will do so.

I also have some pictures of these ruins from the Park Service Brochure and I will post them later today. They are spectacular.

As is evident, the cost will be relatively low.

These ruins are some of the most well preserved and extensive in the Southwest. This trip will be a rare opportunity to see a part of history that very few will ever experience.
Attachments
Betatakin 1 (Large).JPG
Betatakin 1 (Large).JPG (109.9 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
Keet Seel Info 1 (Large).JPG
Keet Seel Info 1 (Large).JPG (119.83 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
Keet Seel Info 2 (Large).JPG
Keet Seel Info 2 (Large).JPG (106.42 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
DaveK
K6DTK

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:07 pm

Pictures of Keet Seel and Betatakin follow. Place your cursor over the picture, right click and select "view image" . You can then magnify the image by left clicking on it.
Attachments
Keet Seel Brochure 2 (Large).jpg
Keet Seel Brochure 2 (Large).jpg (131.69 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
Keet Seel Brochure1 (Large).jpg
Keet Seel Brochure1 (Large).jpg (179.33 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
Betatakin brochure1 (Large).jpg
Betatakin brochure1 (Large).jpg (127.4 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
DaveK
K6DTK

unwiredadventures
Call Sign: KG6JVE

Post by unwiredadventures » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:37 pm

DaveK wrote: As the research and investigation continues, we will be making some adjustments to the sites we will visit and how much time we spend at each. It goes without saying that the areas we visit will be some of the most spectacularly scenic places in the USA. It also goes without saying that the experience is so much greater when you choose the path less traveled (remote).
These places look amazing. This is an area I've wanted to visit for some time now. I have this time blocked out on my calendar.

I'm trying to do some early preparations. I have a few questions:

In planning fuel, do you have an estimate of how many miles we'd need to travel between fuel stops?
Similar question for water. How many days of water will we need to have in vehicle?

I know this is early. I'm trying to figure out if I need additional mounting locations for fuel and water containers on my truck.

I anxiously await further updates on this expedition. Thank you for all the work.
'97 Land Cruiser FZJ80

Trip Photos | Twitter

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Frank:

Fuel and water will be concerns that we will need to address. Neither are as critical as travel in places like the Parashant. Fuel will be available in several places on the Reservation but I plan on carrying 3-4 extra Jerry cans. For me that will give me about 50 gallons. I seem to recall that you have an aux gas tank that holds about 20 gals. That should give you about 40-45 gals. In your case I would think 2 Jerry cans might be enough. Water will probably be a little more of a concern, but still available. I plan on carrying 15 gallons. As you probably know, we will use the most water for showering and there will be a number of places where we can refill our cans. Everyone will need to carry water and extra gas.

I will have more details in the coming weeks. Hope this helps.
DaveK
K6DTK

Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:36 pm

The ReadyBath system is a good option for bathing too. Not nearly as pleasant as a hot shower, but I was surprised to find myself feeling nearly as clean after two nights camping. :mrgreen:

"Shower" (8 wash cloths)
http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.e ... .ctx=26995

I couldn't find the shampoo cap, but it works great on the hair as well.
Chazz Laynedotcom

DaveK
Site Admin

Post by DaveK » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Chazz Layne wrote:The ReadyBath system is a good option for bathing too. Not nearly as pleasant as a hot shower, but I was surprised to find myself feeling nearly as clean after two nights camping. :mrgreen:

"Shower" (8 wash cloths)
http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.e ... .ctx=26995

I couldn't find the shampoo cap, but it works great on the hair as well.
We will have the Hot Tap double burner hot shower by ZODI for the trip. After a day of hiking or activity, it is a most welcome relief. With the shower enclosure, it's almost like home.
DaveK
K6DTK

diverbob
Call Sign: KF7BVA

Post by diverbob » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Dave ..

As always the hot showers and fantastic gourmet meals are what makes the difference to a camping trip
and an outstanding experience that would separate any of the last off road average adventure well above anything one
could ever imagine.

That said please add me to to list of those whom wish to join and experience another memorable highlights
to share remember for a long time.

I know you haven't opened the sign up list yet, I would like to be added as soon as you do.

If there is some per-qualification required please let me know?

Thanks in advance.....

Bob

Return to “Indian Country Expedition 2010”