Legal Concerns in the Navajo Nation?

Plan for the Expedition here. Not an OAUSA sanctioned event.
Chazz Layne
Call Sign: KF7FEN

Legal Concerns in the Navajo Nation?

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Are there any legal concerns we should be aware of before crossing into the Navajo Nation? It was originally firearms and carry that prompted the question, though I imagine there could be other things to watch out for?

No, not planning on any hunting or target shooting on the trip :lol:. I ask because I have a CWP and have developed the good habit of carrying anywhere it is honored (Colorado, Utah and New Mexico are all kosher). I'm not sure if Navajo has or is allowed to have any additional restrictions over and beyond state laws.
Chazz Laynedotcom

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Legal Concerns in the Navajo Nation?

Post by DaveK » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:59 pm

There are a number of legal concerns about travel in the Navajo Nation. We will address all of them, or as many as we can anticipate, before we begin. One of the benefits of having a Navajo guide is that we will be getting a leg up on rules and laws that we need to be most aware of. Here are the ones that I am working on now:

1. Carrying firearms. I am currently informed that possessors of CCWs for the states in which we travel, may carry their weapons concealed and loaded. Some of us have these permits that cover Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, (Colorado too, I think). Long guns may be another matter and I will get a definitive word on this and the CCWs as well.

2. Alcohol is not allowed on the Reservation. Can't sell it, can't consume it and can't possess it.

3. Any travel off of main roads requires the use of a Navajo guide. We are covered here.

4. All usual rules and laws of vehicle travel will be enforced. Obviously included are speed laws and I assume that others include seat belts, current registration, valid drivers license, vehicle insurance and if you plan on carrying a firearm, bring that CCW.

If you have any other legal concerns, please post up.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Ah, I was unaware of number 2 as well. I will leave the cabernet at home.
Chazz Laynedotcom

Chazz Layne

Post by Chazz Layne » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:45 pm

An update on firearms for the National Park portions of this trip: on Feb. 22nd the restrictions in National Parks/Monuments were lifted, state law prevails.
Chazz Laynedotcom

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Post by DaveK » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:15 pm

UPDATE:

Today I spoke with law enforcement for the Navajo Nation re firearms in the Reservation. There are basically two sets of rules. Assuming that none of us are Navajo, there will be only one set of rules, viz., we will be subject to the laws of the state in which we are carrying firearms. This will obviously apply to how the firearms are transported as well as carrying concealed. The transportation while traveling on the Reservation will be the same as under California law. If you plan on carrying concealed, then you will need to possess a valid permit, recognized by the state in which you are carrying.

As far as national parks are concerned, it was my recollection, at least as of a few months ago, that holders of CCWs are allowed to carry concealed within the park. As for the recent new order allowing others to carry firearms in NPs, I will have to let someone else who has a better handle on this situation, weigh in here.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Return to “Indian Country Expedition 2010”