Here's Your Sign

We've all made our mistakes when on the trail. Here's where you fess up to it and share those mistakes with us. It happens to all of us. Don't be shy.
Forum rules
If you've made that mistake or had a nasty breakdown, share it with us here. Tell us how you got into and out of your fiasco so maybe the rest of us can learn from your mistakes. It's happened to all of us. Don't be shy. :)
ssc

Here's Your Sign

Post by ssc » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:10 pm

So a buddy and I go out to Calico last year to meet a few others to wheel. I'm not familiar with the terrain. We notice many people camping and drinking at 9am. We come upon the gatekeeper area to get on the Doreen (sic) trail. ( I think this is where we were.) I decide to take a look and pull to the side. It is narrow and rocky. Two older stock, beat up jeeps come along. They are all drinking. Jeep one starts into the slot and gets his rear diff stuck on a rock. Jeep two driver jumps out and says he has a chain and will pull him off.

Jeep one has a loose rear bumper and the cowboys deploy the chain. My buddy and I are looking for cover and my bud says, " You better get the camera." I grab the camera and on cue, jeep two gives a tug and the bumper comes flying off and hits his jeep. Jeep one is free and decides all he needs is lots of skinny pedal. He floors it and bounces up on a rock or two and then lands with a thud. The jeep dies as the oil is spilling out. My bud says, "Here's your sign!"

I almost fell off the rock I was standing on, because I was laughing so hard. So I learned my lesson. Never start laughing when standing on a slippery rock. It could have been ugly. I could have fell 2 inches and got some dust on my boot. :lol: I actually have the pictures somewhere.

Regards, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

DaveK
Site Admin
Call Sign: K6DTK

Re: Here's Your Sign

Post by DaveK » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 am

Pics, please.
DaveK
K6DTK

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

cruiserlarry
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: W6LPB

Post by cruiserlarry » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:45 pm

There seems to be no limit to the level of human stupidity that can be displayed once alcohol is put in the mix on the trail.... :roll:

I remember seeing a youtube video of a guy trying to get a Cherokee unstuck in Azusa by attaching the tow strap to the vehicle's side view mirror...you can guess how that ended :lol: :lol: :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear really bright, until they start talking

W6LPB / WPOK492

Become a DIRTY PARTS FACEBOOK fan !!!

BlueFJ
Call Sign: N6CJW

Post by BlueFJ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:39 am

Oh man, you GOTTA post those pics!!!
-Craig
N6CJW

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue MT6 CQ UR GY
Mods: 3" OME coilover lift, Trail-Gear sliders, All Pro Skids, Bandi Mount,
Midland 75-822 CB, Yaesu FT-8800R, Lowrance XOG, K&N Air Filter, Baja Rack & Ladder, BFG 285/70R17 AT KO

"Show me a 4X4 that's never seen dirt and I'll show you a poser"

ssc

Post by ssc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:08 am

So far, I can't find the pics, but the search continues. 8-)

Regards, Steve
FJ Mamba. Icon 2.5 front CO XT, Icon rear 2.5 with res, Icon UCA, AP sliders, Demello front bumper, AP Rear Bumper and skids. BFG KM-2 285-70-17. Warn winch. Don't forget the Puddy Cat!

2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with BFG's, 05 4-Runner 4X4, BFG's, http://www.sscphoto.zenfolio.com
The other off road rig, the "License To Chill"

Return to “TRAIL BLUNDERS”