Be Careful On Chicken Rock!

We've all made our mistakes when on the trail. Here's where you fess up to it and share those mistakes with us. It happens to all of us. Don't be shy.
Forum rules
If you've made that mistake or had a nasty breakdown, share it with us here. Tell us how you got into and out of your fiasco so maybe the rest of us can learn from your mistakes. It's happened to all of us. Don't be shy. :)
BorregoWrangler

Be Careful On Chicken Rock!

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:48 am

Looks like this happened on Nov. 13th '09 out on South Park/Pleasant Canyon in Death Valley.

http://panamintvalley.com/forum/viewtop ... 0&start=52
I just got back from the South Park Run (South Park to Pleasant). The mishap victim's father and some companions were at the site attempting to recover the vehicle, a Cherokee. The woman bounced off of a rock at "Chicken Corner" and rolled back and over the side falling about 150ft. onto the roof. The woman is expected to recover and is being treated at Arrowhead Hospital. I'm told that she didn't get to Ballarat until 11ish where she was loaded onto a helicopter for the ride to the hospital. I'm also told that her two children that were in the vehicle with her sustained only bumps and bruises, WOW! Unfortunately when the Jeep went over the side it took some of the side with it so Chicken Corner is really TIGHT now.
Attachments
DSC_7852.jpg
DSC_7852.jpg (300.54 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
SouthPark02.JPG
SouthPark02.JPG (61.05 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
SouthPark03.JPG
SouthPark03.JPG (57.68 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
SouthPark05.JPG
SouthPark05.JPG (52.59 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
SouthPark06.JPG
SouthPark06.JPG (54.82 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

View all my trip reports here at my blog: GrahamCrackers

sdnative

Re: Be Careful On Chicken Rock!

Post by sdnative » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:35 am

Reminds me of that really tight corner coming up out of Mountain Spring in Jacumba.

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:40 am

WOW!!! I'm glad it looks like everyone is going to be OK. Looks like quite an interesting trail.
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:43 pm

That is a really tight corner, I and two other Jeepers did it. I was lead and we went from Pleasant to South Park. I am glad that I have an Atlas and NV4500 so I could go sloooow. It keeps your attention, the rocks are slick too. Glad everyone is okay and will make it. Wow! :shock:

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Yeah this will probably be the first trail I do when I finally get out to Death Valley.
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

OLLIE
OAUSA Board Member
Call Sign: K6JYB

Post by OLLIE » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:03 pm

If it's that tight it's hard to believe there's a Suburban on it... :?
"OLLIE"
(K6JYB)

APRS
K6JYB ("BugEater")
K6JYB-7 (VX-8R)

http://www.facebook.com/FJOllie

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, the Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

CHECK OUT THE OUTDOOR ADVENTURE USA AMATEUR RADIO NET:
Every Thursday night at 7:30pm PST

Repeater
146.385+ PL: 146.2 Keller Peak (Echolink Equipped)

BorregoWrangler

Post by BorregoWrangler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:40 pm

OLLIE wrote:If it's that tight it's hard to believe there's a Suburban on it... :?

(Picture from Scenic Wonder Runner)
-John Graham
1989 YJ & 2000 TJ

photojeeper
Call Sign: KG6HRA

Post by photojeeper » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:43 pm

I don't plan on doing that this year I am going to go to Wildrose the first day so I can go to Jail Canyon and look for a herd of Big Horn Sheep that live in the mountains above Jail Canyon and come down to drink from the big creek that flows through. Then it is off to Furnace Creek for three nights via Golar Wash and Mengal Pass. While at Furnace Creek I will do Echo Canyon, Titus Canyon, and other destinations.
OLLIE wrote:If it's that tight it's hard to believe there's a Suburban on it...
As you can see it is not tight to where there is no room, is that to much wheel spin moves the rocks and then I did it the rocks were on the smooth side. However it is recommended that you go clockwise. If you go that way the forces are on your side. That whole area is awesome, it is a large open area with many small trails leading in different directions taking you to mines and springs.

I go each year at this time and explore certain areas, I still need to do the Northern area where the Racetrack is and the craters.

JJ
Jerry aka "JJ"
Ham Callsign: KG6HRA
Vehicle: 1990 Jeep "YJ" Wrangler

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

salad_man
Call Sign: KJ6GQS

Post by salad_man » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:43 am

Death Valley is a great place to explore and go wheeling, cant wait to get out there again. Luckily those people are gonna be ok...
93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, armor
Call sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
- Doc, Back to the Future

jcka
Call Sign: K6JBM

Post by jcka » Sun May 29, 2011 10:51 pm

OLLIE wrote:If it's that tight it's hard to believe there's a Suburban on it... :?
That is an insanely tight turn for a full size vehicle. The first time I drove it was in my old 2000 F150 X-cab. A little to tight for what I cared for, because it's nothing but down out your driver's side window.
2011 Toyota Tacoma DC 4X4
NRA member

[b][i][u][size=150][color=#408000]K6JBM[/color][/size][/u][/i][/b]

Return to “TRAIL BLUNDERS”